[social dancing] When it's okay to criticize your partner

Dr Dance

Geez... I hope you all aren't this argumentative in an actual social dance.

Does this thread need alcohol? :dancingbanana:
Maybe it just needs bacon.

There are indeed passionate responses to this thread topic. Unless you are using a social dance for practice (I do with my partner), I prefer to ascribe fun to social dance. Unless you like to troll your partner, criticisms are not fun. Ladies were very patient with me when I was new to dance. I only consider it to be fair to extend newer followers the same courtesy.

danceronice

Someone ACTUALLY advised Shalene o_O? When did this happen?
I've seen it done to Larinda. Seen it done to many female pros. Had it done to me by guys I knew had maybe five lessons compared to five years on my end. I basically won't offer advice unless asked (and that's usually newbies who know it asking if something was all right and the answer is always "It was fine!") At most, I'll maybe ask to try something again if I didn't get the lead and it could be anyone's fault.

Joe

Daniel was referring to resistance [pushing on the arm.] What is resistance? Resistance is an opposing force. To resist is the attempt to prevent something from happening. How can a woman follow if she resists the lead? How can I lead a woman step backwards while she gives me resistance and moves in a different direction? How can a man lead well if he pushes a woman around the floor? Pushing and leading are NOT the same thing. Dancing with resistance is like driving a car with the parking brake on.
I see. Well, his first mistake was using the words "tension" and "push" together. Pushing isn't tension--it's compression.

Rhythmdancer

That's part of the reason why it can be problematic to give critiques because there really isn't a uniform understanding of terms across people and dance styles. Two people can be saying the same exact thing but using different terms and get into a major disagreement on the floor.

twnkltoz

That's part of the reason why it can be problematic to give critiques because there really isn't a uniform understanding of terms across people and dance styles. Two people can be saying the same exact thing but using different terms and get into a major disagreement on the floor.
Exactly. Or someone picks up a bad habit because they misunderstood (or just plain got bad advice they understood perfectly).

Joe

You used "tension" in your post. Daniel didn't use the word "tension."
Uh, reading for comprehension, much? YOU used the word "tension."

"The road to hell is paved with good intentions." Giving unsolicited advice is part of that journey. Knowing what to say is helpful to avoid an argument. My favorite is "that's not what my teacher told me." Another good response comes from Daniel Trenner who teaches Argentine Tango. "When the man tells you to push on his arm [give tension], he is advertising how bad a dancer he is."

legato

:hilarious: ha ha...someone should do this in figures with dance attire, just for DF!
when is it ok to criticize your social dance partner?
may i suggest never, may i ask if never works for you?

Dance Ads