Sometimes hard to control the slot.

I'm a ballroom leader coming into the world of Salsa Clubs. I'd consider myself a solid intermediate dancer. I can dance with my instructor or another experienced lady well enough for me.

Here is what throws me for a loop, with some ladies I have a hard time controlling the slot. Instead of being a nice controlled slot things become sloppy and I have to significantly up the amount of force to keep it controlled. Or just keep a very strong closed position, which limits what can be done.

This is something I'm not entirely comfortable doing or enjoy. Just today I was dancing and a lady I was dancing with said "don't bump me into other people, your the leader and I'm just along for the ride" I understand this. If I'm on the ballroom floor I try to take any potential impact myself or insure my back is the one dangerously close to the pole. If I give her an inside roll lord knows which direction we will end up.

How do I rain them in? Sometimes this dance feels more like goat roping than two people moving fluidly to music.

So far I still don't understand salsa musicality either. I've seen some at a high level (higher than I will ever get) but most of it looks like random movement to random noise with a beat.
Bachata, however I LOVE it. I want MORE. Do they have jut Bachata clubs/dances?

opendoor

..consider myself a solid intermediate dancer. I can dance with my instructor or another experienced lady well enough for me.... with some ladies I have a hard time controlling the slot... a lady I was dancing with said "don't bump me into other people, your the leader and I'm just along for the ride" ..How do I rain them in?
The ladies like to speed up and to let off steam. So simply use both hands. Guide and accompany her movements at her rib cage. Stop quick moves at her hips. Ladies want to feel secure and fielded in your arms even when you dance openly.

Concerning the "noise", play with the beat machine, switch of instruments, slower down the speed... http://www.salsabeatmachine.org

tangotime

I'm a ballroom leader coming into the world of Salsa Clubs. I'd consider myself a solid intermediate dancer. I can dance with my instructor or another experienced lady well enough for me.

Here is what throws me for a loop, with some ladies I have a hard time controlling the slot. Instead of being a nice controlled slot things become sloppy and I have to significantly up the amount of force to keep it controlled. Or just keep a very strong closed position, which limits what can be done.

This is something I'm not entirely comfortable doing or enjoy. Just today I was dancing and a lady I was dancing with said "don't bump me into other people, your the leader and I'm just along for the ride" I understand this. If I'm on the ballroom floor I try to take any potential impact myself or insure my back is the one dangerously close to the pole. If I give her an inside roll lord knows which direction we will end up.

How do I rain them in? Sometimes this dance feels more like goat roping than two people moving fluidly to music.

So far I still don't understand salsa musicality either. I've seen some at a high level (higher than I will ever get) but most of it looks like random movement to random noise with a beat.

If from either Latin or Standard, then you need to realise that, the techniques in salsa ( IF taught as "street " style ) are sometimes in conflict with the techniques used/taught in the B/room genre .

It takes more than a few weeks/ months ,to re-direct your approach ,and, I would suggest you speak with a Prof. who has a deeper understanding, of the major difference in the indigenous genres of latin dance .
Knowing HOW to dance in the Intern style, means changing your thought patterns ( as well as the physical ones ! ) .

opendoor

ballroom leader coming into the world of Salsa Clubs..
Forgot to ask which kind of salsa world you came into? In my perception latinos and africans at their ordinary gatherings dance much more considerately than flawless LA or NY stylists that show up at trendy night clubs.

Steve Pastor

Staff member
Just today I was dancing and a lady I was dancing with said "don't bump me into other people"
Another possibility is that these women may not be very good dancers. I've had women tell me this in West Coast Swing, which is also slotted; and, alhtough most women have no problems staying in the slot when I lead, say, an underarm turn, every now and then someone ends up anywhere from 90 to ? percent off the slot, blaming me.

As far as bumping into other people, some women don't understand the idea of matching resistance in the connecting arm and always move to a fully extended arm, which means I can't "rope them in" unless I move forward and grab them.

So, it MAY be all you, but maybe not.

SDsalsaguy

Administrator
Staff member
As far as bumping into other people, some women don't understand the idea of matching resistance in the connecting arm and always move to a fully extended arm, which means I can't "rope them in" unless I move forward and grab them.

So, it MAY be all you, but maybe not.
Yes, the matching resistance dynamic is key! Without it, there's only so much you can do.

Ladies sometimes like to be dragged in, but what is needed is complicity and to be really one body and not 2 being coordinated. That takes really a long time and practice, like every mastery in life.

Ha. I was just going though reading my old posts to see where I came from. This problem as almost solved itself just through experience, and I'm not sure what changed! So if anyone ever reads this and can identify, just keep at it. OH! Keep hands at HER bellybutton height and use both of them if she's a wild one or has poor frame. If the slot gets wonky and changes, roll with it.

ajiboyet

Ha. I was just going though reading my old posts to see where I came from. This problem as almost solved itself just through experience, and I'm not sure what changed! So if anyone ever reads this and can identify, just keep at it. OH! Keep hands at HER bellybutton height and use both of them if she's a wild one or has poor frame. If the slot gets wonky and changes, roll with it.
Good for you. I wish more people would come back to tell their success stories.

vit

Well, "keeping hands at partner's bellybutton height and using both of them if she's wild" isn't how people are usually dancing salsa and most girls won't like it.
Also, partner "getting wild" can be caused by improper way of leading

Angel HI

All kinds of tech tips could be given here, but I believe that you have answered your own questions. there are several varying styles of salsa. Once you and potentially your partners have become a bit more knowledgable of the dance/s, you will be able to control it more, they will be able to follow you better, you will understand the intricacies of the varying types of salsa, and just enjoy it more.

Bachata is a great dance, as well, and there are 2 styles to it. So, if you can do this, you will get salsa (even though they are quite different).

Dance Ads