Son of So---How Was Your Dance Weekend?

samina

i remember the first time i led women in salsa rueda. it was very disorienting...i didn't know where to put my hands! just was not used to having to concern myself with while dancing.

Workshops with Gherman and Iveta on Friday, lots to think about.

We had our competition today at Penn State... I got to the venue before the organizers so I took control of the set-up and doubled the floor size from last year, which was nice.

The theme for today was getting girls ribbons... today is one of my partners' birthdays so I danced with her primarily, she wanted to get a ribbon, got 6. A girl I know from one of the ballroom classes my teacher does was TBA in newcomer standard, we got 3 ribbons. Danced bronze mambo with one of my other follows because birthday girl doesn't like mambo, her first and second time dancing mambo and we got 5th. Also ended up with a 3rd place in a reverse-lead standard fun event, TWQ, with a different girl(all that time I spent improving my stretch because I was slacking off while the girls were doing it finally pays off). Funny thing was that before that event happened I was asked by a friend to be a girl to help him figure out something in american fox.

Dance weekend was amazing. Getting homework done weekend not so much.

Peaches

A waste of gas to drive down and back. Blargh. And I ended up with a nice gash on my ankle (my fault), a bruise on my calf (got kicked), and a sore big toe on my right foot (leader's fault--repeatedly--which also meant that my brand new shoes got stomped on several times).

And got b*tched at due to a misunderstanding wrt dances asked for and accepted. The misunderstanding was the very first dance of the night, which made that set awkward, and then I got an earful about it during the second set. No amount of explaining the misunderstanding would make this guy back down from telling me what I did wrong. Was so tempted to just walk off the floor and out the door right then and there, because it just set a crappy tone for the evening. And I was already kind of in a blah mood.

Pleh.

QPO

Still coming to terms with last nights social dance..., someone got cranky when I stepped on his partners heel, I could not see behind me and my partner was doing line of dance...they came out of nowhere...and the guy got really cranky.. spoilt an otherwise good night.

Lioness

A lot of people do that to us as well...they suddenly change direction and act as if it was our fault that we hit them.

Dance on Saturday night was insane. We had a large floor, and 3 completely full rings of couples. I was so grateful for the quickstep, where almost no-one went on the floor (comparitively, anyway). The rest was bumper to bumper, with hardly any room to move freely. We also had a couple that were doing a different sequence in the outer circle...not good when we went against line of dance and assumed they would do the same, and they didn't.

fascination

Site Moderator
Staff member
practiced all day yesterday ...otherwise ...nothing...given everyone else's luck at socials this weekend, kind of glad I skipped them

QPO

yes that sounds like a good plan. The venue we were at on Saturday is not my favorite for that very reason, it is always a traffice jame, but we wanted to see if we could fit our routines for the comp on the floor as that is where our first comp will be held.

Now I will stay away from the floor till the event, the others can fight over it:roll:

practiced all day yesterday ...otherwise ...nothing...given everyone else's luck at socials this weekend, kind of glad I skipped them

Zhena

Yesterday DH and I went to two events.

The first was a "veteran's party" at the studio where we used to take lessons. They invited people who had started taking lessons there more than a year ago, or who had taken a lot of lessons. So everyone was comfortable on the floor, which was nice. But there was a certain lack of energy. I don't know whether it was because there weren't any starry-eyed beginners, or because the staff wasn't really making a big effort to keep the energy up. They played some silly games (blergh ...), but, really, icebreakers like that are not necessary when everyone knows everyone else. (Actually, I don't think they're necessary at all ....) Although I enjoyed talking to people we hadn't seen for six months, I wasn't sorry that the party ended early.

Then we went to an open social with lesson before. We haven't been to that location on a Saturday for a couple of months and it was nice to be back even though we don't really know a lot of people. I enjoy the group lessons, but DH has a different point of view. It's like we're at totally different events! Of course, since I'm learning as a follower and he's learning as a leader we interact with different people. But every time we go there, he complains of having "wrestling matches" with most of his partners in class. He says they do what they think is the step no matter what he leads or doesn't lead. On the other hand, I would say that almost half of the leaders do a decent job. Once I have an idea of where I should be during the step (body position and weight changes), I can usually let the leader lead. It doesn't bother me when the leader doesn't have it. I just try again with the next person in the rotation.

Later in the evening I had a few really nice dances with other leaders. I did a rumba with a man who really held the slow count ... once I realized what he was doing and tried to work with him it became a very different dance for me. I don't remember him doing any moves I was unfamiliar with, but just changing the emphasis was magical. I also had three dances with another leader who had good clear communication. It made me remember why I choose to dance with a lot of different people ... you have to kiss a lot of frogs before you find a prince. Of course, my real prince is DH and my best dances of the evening were with him, but good leaders are good in different ways ...

DH doesn't ask other followers very often, even though he is perfectly aware that it would help his dancing. I nag him occasionally .... he says he doesn't like to dance with women he doesn't know. I have to admit that I haven't gotten the courage to actually ask someone at this venue ... I just hang out looking like I'm interested and wait for someone to ask me. DH doesn't mind sitting out when I dance with other partners, but I think he ought to be out on the floor. It looks like I'm going to have to make an effort to get to know some of the women, so he will have to ask them.

fascination

Site Moderator
Staff member
sounds lovely Z....we have it the other way around here...since dh is basically a beginner, but has some good basics, and is just the nicest man on the planet, even though he never asks anyone else to dance, woemn feel comfortable asking him and know that I am not territorial.....but the men who would ask me are usually a bit concerned about how he is about it so I practically have to have him write them a permission slip, other than the few who know me/us well...shrug...it's always an interesting dynamic these socials

Danced in FADS comp with red. Lots of high marks. The general dancing was great as people from several studios in the Panhandle were there. It's amazing that in a short time we have not just learned to dance, but can dance with other people without injury. lol I love dance people!

Zhena

sounds lovely Z....we have it the other way around here...since dh is basically a beginner, but has some good basics, and is just the nicest man on the planet, even though he never asks anyone else to dance, woemn feel comfortable asking him and know that I am not territorial.....but the men who would ask me are usually a bit concerned about how he is about it so I practically have to have him write them a permission slip, other than the few who know me/us well...shrug...it's always an interesting dynamic these socials
I do feel rather spoiled by knowing that DH is available whenever I want him but doesn't mind me going in search of others when I want variety. If he starts dancing with other women I'll lose some of that control ... But I think in the long run I want him to have the experience of dancing with a large variety of followers.

At our former studio he was better about it because it was small enough that he know most of the people. At the place we went on Saturday the classes usually have between about 15 and 40 couples per class, and there are three classes ... so a lot of people. Some seem to come for the class and leave early, others skip the lesson and come just to dance, some drop in occasionally. Because it's so large, it can feel a little impersonal ... it's up to each person to approach others. The other ladies don't know that he won't refuse an invitation, so I think I will have to make a point of getting to know some of them and letting them know he won't bite.

I have found that if I want to be asked by another leader, I have to put some distance between me and DH, and look like I'm available. There is only one man there who will ask me when I'm actually sitting next to DH. He will check to see whether we intend to dance together before asking me, but he knows DH doesn't mind.

fascination

Site Moderator
Staff member
I do feel rather spoiled by knowing that DH is available whenever I want him but doesn't mind me going in search of others when I want variety. If he starts dancing with other women I'll lose some of that control ... But I think in the long run I want him to have the experience of dancing with a large variety of followers.

At our former studio he was better about it because it was small enough that he know most of the people. At the place we went on Saturday the classes usually have between about 15 and 40 couples per class, and there are three classes ... so a lot of people. Some seem to come for the class and leave early, others skip the lesson and come just to dance, some drop in occasionally. Because it's so large, it can feel a little impersonal ... it's up to each person to approach others. The other ladies don't know that he won't refuse an invitation, so I think I will have to make a point of getting to know some of them and letting them know he won't bite.

I have found that if I want to be asked by another leader, I have to put some distance between me and DH, and look like I'm available. There is only one man there who will ask me when I'm actually sitting next to DH. He will check to see whether we intend to dance together before asking me, but he knows DH doesn't mind.
lol...I think most people figure that if dh can be married to me, he must be a saint...so they just naturally feel they can approach him ;)....but you are right, alot depends on how well folks know you ...there are couples I would never approch b/c they never dance with anyone but each other...and I am glad I knw it...shrug

etp777

No dancing this weekend for me, except for practicing a bit in the kitchen. Got jacket for new showcase costume though, so i guess that's dance related. :)

wooh

My husband has gone from wallflower to social butterfly via dance. Only a few women he has to work up courage to ask anymore (DF's own HereKittyKitty being the one that scares him most, just because she's awesome, he knows she's a total sweetheart). Thankfully we're around enough that it's pretty well known both of us will dance with anybody. (Fondly called "dance sluts" by a local pro.)
I do adore when ladies ask to "borrow" my husband at socials, or men ask my husband if they can dance with me. I think it's just cute to acknowledge the person you came with it they're nearby.

wooh

Not a bad weekend dance-wise. USA Dance politics are going to give me a stroke by the end of the year, but I've at least got people really trying to help me out now.
Actually dancing, we performed our little group paso, and it wasn't a total disaster, as it very well could have been.
Lots of women at the social Saturday night. We're usually a lot closer to having a good balance, but it was LOTS of women. My poor husband spent the whole night feeling guilty, "I didn't get to dance with a or b or c or d or..." I spent most of the night with hosting duties, but got a few nice dances in. Could actually feel some of the things I've been working on kick in when I was just relaxed and "dancing" instead of "working on dancing" which I really needed.

I went to a showcase at sam's studio and had a great time. I usually perform in those showcases but this time my pro couldn't make it. It was very relaxing being a spectator. :wink:

etp777

Yeah, can definitely be relaxing not having the stress of performing. For maybe two events, then I get antsy and wanna get back out on the floor. :)

Dance Ads