Song Title Identification Thread

Second is El Adios, no idea which orchestra.
Third is La Foule, by Edith Piaf, which I think is her cover of Que nadie sepa mi sufrir
Fourth is Y todavia te quiero, and no idea either which is the orchestra or singer.

UKDancer

I saw nothing growing out of the music: nothing that illuminated the melody, rhythm or the lyric. Just dancing by numbers. Every tango competitor dances the same - the only difference is how well they can do it. SoCal(led) tango, indeed.

dchester

Staff member
I saw nothing growing out of the music: nothing that illuminated the melody, rhythm or the lyric. Just dancing by numbers. Every tango competitor dances the same - the only difference is how well they can do it. SoCal(led) tango, indeed.
For me, I liked the dancing a lot more than I liked the song. I actually thought they were all pretty good, considering what this was, although I thought two of the couples were better than the third at dancing to the music, IMO.

I'll be curious to see how this compares to the real US championship that just ended in San Francisco. I'm biased about that one, as I know two couples who are in it.

UKDancer

For me, I liked the dancing a lot more than I liked the song.
Well, we must be made very different: this period of Troilo yields wonderful dancing. The arrangement and performance is matchless.

I'll be curious to see how this compares to the real US championship that just ended in San Francisco. I'm biased about that one, as I know two couples who are in it.
Different again: I couldn't be less curious about tango competitions (and If I knew the couples competing, I'd try and talk them out of it). I am only interested in dancing tango in the embrace of a partner, and I'll dance for her, and not the crowd.

dchester

Staff member
Well, we must be made very different: this period of Troilo yields wonderful dancing. The arrangement and performance is matchless.

Different again: I couldn't be less curious about tango competitions (and If I knew the couples competing, I'd try and talk them out of it). I am only interested in dancing tango in the embrace of a partner, and I'll dance for her, and not the crowd.
Yes. Different, we are. I like to encourage people to pursue their dreams, (not mine or anyone else's).

FWIW, IMO just because someone likes the social dance, doesn't mean they can't also like performances or competitions. They are different things, though.

UKDancer

... just because someone likes the social dance, doesn't mean they can't also like performances or competitions. They are different things, though.
Oh, we can agree on that.

However a very high proportion of 'tango teachers' come from the performance or competitive world. What they peddle (and it isn't usually really teaching - too often they have no obvious aptitude or training for that) is of little or no use to the typical social dancer (ie most of us); and many find that if they want to start participating in their local tango dance community, they have to unlearn all those stupid moves and choreography, and to discover the dance from scratch.

Far removed from the idea of equipping students with the skills necessary for them to discover and develop their own style of dance, too much mediocre teaching is about a hard sell for the teachers' chosen style - dance like me, decorate like me, look like me, dress like me, talk the faux-tango talk like me, want to be me, keep coming, keep paying your $$$ -learn the only and true tango: mine.

Dance Ads