Sprucing up my Standard gown - sewing questions!

RiseNFall

I'd really like the focus to be on my dancing rather than the unique ways that my body folds when I shape...
I have no suggestions for you, but it reminds me of when my 30 year old ridiculously fit pro was helping me pick out dresses. He's great at it, but not necessarily aware of all concerns such as this. After I asked several questions about one dress on me, he, getting somewhat perplexed, asked, "what exactly are you concerned about?" Me: "Fat rolls showing on back." Him, after carefully checking it out under several different situations: "It's fine." Gotta love the guy.

s2k

Ok...borrowing a dress from a friend for upcoming comp with new boy. I test-wore it at the same sex comp recently and I've got a serious case of back fat going on!! I'd really like the focus to be on my dancing rather than the unique ways that my body folds when I shape...can anyone suggest some temporary alterations I could do to this style of dress to either close in the back or to disguise it?

Girl, this struggle is REAL for me, too. In this case, can you find a nude leo to wear under this?

http://motionwear.com/boatneck-leotard-2110/

Discount Dance is a good place to search, too.

raindance

Nude bodysuit underneath may work. I am thinking of the very lightweight ones they sell for ballet undergarments. Then you would not need to do any alterations to the dress.

Otherwise a small float attached near each shoulder and draping down the back could work.

bia

If a leotard, I'm wondering about black instead of nude. Either a simple camisole leotard in a fabric similar to the dress that scoops to mid-back (since your upper back looks fine), or a leotard with a mesh or lace back. (I'm not fully confident in this; I'd have to see it.) I could also imagine Joe's criss-cross strap idea across the bottom, either lacing or elastic straps.

Lioness

I dreamed about this the other night and dream me thought about the leotard too!!

My concern is then that the upper back "keyhole" would look weird and out of place because it's too small.

I like the leotard that comes to a point...that's pretty cool.

raindance

The ballet undergarment leos sometimes have low neckline, lowish cut in the back, and spagetti straps, which may work under that mesh top. You also might be able to trim the leo (e.g. drop the front neckline) so the parts in the way no longer show. It may take trying a few on to figure out if it would work.

The float option may be simplest, and give a cleaner look.

Sania

Ok...borrowing a dress from a friend for upcoming comp with new boy. I test-wore it at the same sex comp recently and I've got a serious case of back fat going on!! I'd really like the focus to be on my dancing rather than the unique ways that my body folds when I shape...can anyone suggest some temporary alterations I could do to this style of dress to either close in the back or to disguise it?

View attachment 3297 View attachment 3298
Sheer black bodysuit underneath? One with a higher back so there's no keyhole opening at all…

Dance Ads