Strictly Come Dancing

Hi dancesportgirl21,

Thanks for the video link. An inspirational dance the Argentine Tango. The chemistry is amazing and an extremely sexy dance it is. They flow so freely and emit such confidence.

What did you mean by your Title "Strictly Come Dancing "

Thanks,

Strictly Come Dancing is the show in the UK that pairs celebrities with professionals that Dancing with the Stars is based off of. These were guest performers- Vincent and Flavia (in red) also dance standard and latin and are professionals and regular performers on the show. I really enjoyed the performance as well! I wish they would have couples do AT like that on tv here.

Strictly Come Dancing is the show in the UK that pairs celebrities with professionals that Dancing with the Stars is based off of. These were guest performers- Vincent and Flavia (in red) also dance standard and latin and are professionals and regular performers on the show. I really enjoyed the performance as well! I wish they would have couples do AT like that on tv here.
Interesting, I will have to check it out. What is the web site address? Yes, I agree I have yet to see many styles of dance on T.V in North America with couples, one being the Argentine Tango. I wonder why that is? Do you have an idea?

By the way, I love your quote.

bordertangoman

I have danced with Kicca Tomasi, quite scary dancing with someone that good but very enjoyable...

like getting into a Rolls Royce when you're used to driving a 2CV

Pacion

Sniff! I can do ALL of that PLUS more!

In my dreams! :lol: It is amazing what amazing stuff you can do in your dreams! :lol:

like getting into a Rolls Royce when you're used to driving a 2CV
Personally, I would have likened her to a Lamborgini - maybe it is a girl thing? ;) :lol:

Oh, and I love the dresses!!!

Peaches

Meh. Didn't do much for me. I don't like seeing lifts and tons of fancy footwork being brought into AT. The subtle stuff is just so much more beautiful.

samina

Meh. Didn't do much for me. I don't like seeing lifts and tons of fancy footwork being brought into AT. The subtle stuff is just so much more beautiful.
i'm with you on this. obviously, these are skilled dancers. but i'd much rather watch the unglitzed-up intimacy & intricacy of Me dancing with her instructor. :)

bordertangoman

there's just no pleasing you......

I like the footwork; it means the follower is participating not just being a rag doll thrown around around by the man

.... unless that's what you prefer? :wink:

Me

I've seen this before and wasn't impressed - the only dancers with decent technique or passion were the red dress couple, and I've seen MUCH better.

Granted, this Argentine tango demo put to SHAME the 'Argentine Tango' guests they featured on Dancing with the Stars this season. Now that was TRULY pathetic.

Peaches

there's just no pleasing you......

I like the footwork; it means the follower is participating not just being a rag doll thrown around around by the man

.... unless that's what you prefer? :wink:

Actually, there's plenty that pleases me. And getting thrown around, while not my particular fav, does have it's places--but this is a pg forum. (Wink back atcha!)

Considering that most of the fancy footwork (boleos, ganchos, etc.) are led by the man, I don't see how it is any more of the follower participating than just about anything else in AT. Plenty of people do like the showy stuff. That's fine. Being very shy, and hating to draw attention to myself, I always gravitate towards that which is more understated. Its all got its place. I just happen to prefer the "show AT" done for other AT dancers--which can just be sublime in its subtlety. I realize that this was AT done for a non-AT-dancing viewership, and what people want to see is tricks and flash.

Aside from the flash aspect of it, though, I wasn't overly impressed. Maybe it was the camera work (which I found very distracting)--but I've seen much prettier walking done by "non-stars." Just my $0.02.

bordertangoman

Actually, there's plenty that pleases me. And getting thrown around, while not my particular fav, does have it's places--but this is a pg forum. (Wink back atcha!)

Considering that most of the fancy footwork (boleos, ganchos, etc.) are led by the man, I don't see how it is any more of the follower participating than just about anything else in AT. Plenty of people do like the showy stuff. That's fine. Being very shy, and hating to draw attention to myself, I always gravitate towards that which is more understated. Its all got its place. I just happen to prefer the "show AT" done for other AT dancers--which can just be sublime in its subtlety. I realize that this was AT done for a non-AT-dancing viewership, and what people want to see is tricks and flash.

Aside from the flash aspect of it, though, I wasn't overly impressed. Maybe it was the camera work (which I found very distracting)--but I've seen much prettier walking done by "non-stars." Just my $0.02.
that's fair enough and I agree withe your comments on the overworked camera work. But at least what I saw what closer to AT than anything I've seen so far on SCD.

But there is a place for firuletes and ladies having some input: remembering that every step you do is an invitation from the man.

Anyway if you're ever passing this way in your Lamborghini..........

Steve Pastor

Staff member
First and foremost the woman contributes to tango by being centered and sharing herself with the man she is dancing with. If you look at the trailer at the SurrenderTango site you will hear these same ideas expressed in other words.
"If you are not centered, the other person cannot find you."
"If you cannot give yourself to the other person" you don't know tango. I think. (I can't quite make out what she is saying, but I think that's it.) It is the same for the man.
But, it is not easy to teach these concepts, and they are not easy to learn.
It is much simpler to learn adornments that you can do by yourself.
There are other subtle, impossible to see from the outside ways the woman can influence the man's steps. Again, not easy to teach, and not easy to learn.

Last weekend a woman at "my" country western place said she quit tango because it was "too intimate". I love Argentine Tango precisely because of that intimacy. Without it, it’s just another partner dance.

Dance Ads