Strictly Come Dancing

MacMoto

Active Member
#4
According to Dancesport UK, the programme will also include a slot called "Dance Mate", purpose of which is to help viewers find dance partners. Now that's got me interested...
 
#5
MacMoto said:
According to Dancesport UK, the programme will also include a slot called "Dance Mate", purpose of which is to help viewers find dance partners. Now that's got me interested...
:lol: That might mean something a little different to American viewers! I've seen plenty of Dance Mating going on! :lol:
 

Vince A

Active Member
#6
Genesius Redux said:
MacMoto said:
According to Dancesport UK, the programme will also include a slot called "Dance Mate", purpose of which is to help viewers find dance partners. Now that's got me interested...
:lol: That might mean something a little different to American viewers! I've seen plenty of Dance Mating going on! :lol:
. . . but no "split-sheet boogieing.":cry:
 

pygmalion

Well-Known Member
#8
Is this the same television program Rachel with the questions was talking about, I wonder. :? It would be nice if there was more than one. And, btw, I haven't heard from BBC yet. :wink: :lol:
 
#9
Ha! Funny you should ask that.....it IS!

I watched the first one last weekend, I think... it WAS interesting and lively but I think the producers are trying too hard to make it 'modern' and popular to everyone..which isn't necessarily a bad thing...

Hope they sell videos of it or something so our friends in the US can see for themselves!


:wink:
 

pygmalion

Well-Known Member
#10
Yes. I'd love to see some footage. I think a lot of shows try to hard to be popular with everyone, thereby diluting their effectiveness with anyone. I posted an online editorial about the Australian version of the show in another thread. Wickedly funny, but pretty insightful. The reality TV slant doesn't appear to be all that well received.
 
#11
Strictly come dancing has certainly succeeded with being in the popular media. Last week saw several full-page articles about one of the pros splitting up with his long-time dance partner and fiance, allegedly because she was jealous of him flirting with his "celebrity" dance partner.

Another pro-celeb couple (Martin Offiah, a rugby player, and Erin Boag) have also been rumoured to be dating in the national media. The only article I could find online is in the mirror at:
http://www.mirror.co.uk/news/allnew...natasha--it-s-strictly-dancing-name_page.html
but similar (and longer) stories were in the Express and I think the Daily Mail...

While these are not actually articles about dancing, it shows just how popular the show has become when dance partners splitting becomes national news. Another bonus is that several of the celebrity contestants keep saying how much they're enjoying it and how it's the best thing they've ever done etc. etc.

Robin
 

SDsalsaguy

Administrator
Staff member
#12
robin said:
Another bonus is that several of the celebrity contestants keep saying how much they're enjoying it and how it's the best thing they've ever done etc. etc.
Yep, that part really is the real bonus for the dance scene, isn't it? Especially given the modern cult of celebrity!
 

Dance Ads