Stunning performances that have ruined songs for you

So you've got the perfect song. You've already got ideas how you'd like to choreograph it. A double reverse spin...right...there with that trill in the music. A catching of breath with a reverse corte and then exhalation on that phrase...just so. You know where you're going to dance it, a special occasion, the next studio showcase, perhaps an anniversary dance. Then you see a fantastic couple dance live or on video...to your song! And it's an absolutely mind-blowing performance. The technically perfect movements are there, of course, but it's the artistry that sends you into transports, bringing you along with the couple into another world. Magical like one of those blasted Disney animated princess scenes in the forest...yet in a good way. Then it ends. You leave the clouds and float back to your seat. And you realize that it isn't your song anymore. They own it now. Your dream of dancing to that song is over, high back kicked to smithereens. Attempting to do so would be like recreating a Rembrandt with crayon-drawn stick figures.

For me:
Run Llama Run
Cuando Te Beso
The Minute Waltz used to be my favorite Viennese on my mp3 player. :sad:

So what performances have ruined songs for you? If possible, please share videos, too!

Nybz

Hmm maybe it is just me still being relatively new to dance, but when I see a pro couple do an amazing performance to a song I like, I see it more as an inspiration. True they may now "own" it, yet you can still make it your own and aspire to make it as good as their version, if not better :D.
sorry, no video for that hehe.

samina

brilliant routines! thanks for sharing them, TC.

personally, i tend to be inspired by great routines & musicality for those songs -- just hearing them reminds me of the beautiful dancing and aliveness that i witnessed, and it brings a sparkle of that enjoyment into my dancing to that music.

etp777

I agree that with most pros I jsut find it inspiring, though certain songs I definitely think of as owned by pros (cuando cuando cuando comes to mind). I know that I'd never consider cell block tango again after Janet's (one of our students) version wiht the scarf that I just loved. and I can't dance to sex bomb because of one number here. Not exactly stunning performance, but jsut makes me laugh eveyr time I hear the song. :) So could never do a routine to it. and can't even dance to it during party most times.

Cell Block Tango

samina

doing a song for a showcase tends to ruin a song for me, tho... alas, since i like to pick cool songs i really dig.

etp777

Same here Sam. but one advantage is that I mostly pick songs that are more unique and rarely ever songs I hear regularly (or at all) at our parties, comps, etc. So that way I'm not raelly losing anything. Take my foxtrot, whenever I have restof it choreographed. We don't play a lot of nickelback at any of our parties. :)

CANI

Attempting to do so would be like recreating a Rembrandt with crayon-drawn stick figures.
Oh, TC, hope this changes for you. If a song moves you, and is a favorite, the very process of dancing to it yourself, would be amazing...and you might never know the number of people YOU inspire because of it...

I find dancing is tied to the individual. So, while I may be impressed at choreography that really matches the music and words, I would just view it as their 'perfect' interpretation for them, and many more 'perfect' interpretations are possible.

I've never seen anything that would match your description of ruining a song. Have to say though, I think I'm an odd-ball on D-F for as much as I'm passionate about dancing, I don't follow how the top performers are doing (not even Blackpool results), often don't know who they are when they are mentioned on D-F, and very, very, very rarely watch a you-tube performance. I'm more into the actual *dancing* part of dancing...so maybe that is also why no songs are ruined for me.

Nice thread idea for those who enjoy the you-tubes...as your description will certainly lead to some gems I'm sure...

It happened to me! The song is Volvere by Jose Feliciano and the moment I listened to the song, it became mine. I even asked my instructor not to use the song for showcases with other students because it was mine. I told him I'd use the song for my next showcase with him.

Then, I saw this.....
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PQxtKv5jB-4

latingal

I'm with TC...sometimes I'll find an amazing song that just says showcase all over it...but then I'll see a great (and well known) pro routine to it and you just know that your performance wouldn't do it justice in comparison.

samina

I'm with TC...sometimes I'll find an amazing song that just says showcase all over it...but then I'll see a great (and well known) pro routine to it and you just know that your performance wouldn't do it justice in comparison.
like max & yulia's "the beat" samba routine. when i hear that music, it so inspires me to dance, but...they seem to "own" that song for samba performance.

Peaches

I haven't had songs ruined for me, for showcase purposes (obviously). What I have found, though, is that one pro's performance to a particular song ruins it for me for other pro's performing to the same song. I just have this one idea in my mind as for how that song should.be.danced, and other performances just look wrong to me. This has happened with a number of songs/performances.

(Obviously, not ballroom. A lot of people in AT tend to perform to the same songs. It's kind of a set body of music, without new stuff being added, so it happens.)

dbk

I see it the opposite way, too. Seeing a wonderful routine with a certain song just makes me think of that magic when I'm dancing to it... Larinda's "Nothing Else Matters" showcase at Brown (or was it BU?) springs immediately to mind. I love that song as a viennese now.

I agree that with most pros I jsut find it inspiring, though certain songs I definitely think of as owned by pros (cuando cuando cuando comes to mind). I know that I'd never consider cell block tango again after Janet's (one of our students) version wiht the scarf that I just loved. and I can't dance to sex bomb because of one number here. Not exactly stunning performance, but jsut makes me laugh eveyr time I hear the song. :) So could never do a routine to it. and can't even dance to it during party most times.

Cell Block Tango
Thanks for sharing! What a creative way to use a scarf! I agree. Having watched it, I wouldn't be able do a routine to Cell Block Tango. I'd be fine with dancing to it at a social, though. Now, Run Llama Run, if I were dancing at a competition and the DJ played it, I think I'd scratch that heat. :)

I am inspired by such performances. The technique and musicality, those I am encouraged to work towards making my own - but on other songs. This song is forever lost to me. :)

It happened to me! The song is Volvere by Jose Feliciano and the moment I listened to the song, it became mine. I even asked my instructor not to use the song for showcases with other students because it was mine. I told him I'd use the song for my next showcase with him.

Then, I saw this.....
Thanks for sharing! This is an awesome Bryan/Carmen routine!

I also think Slavik and Karina make some commonly heard songs their own. I've definitely watched a few of their shows and really appreciated the song on my playlist more.

Oh, TC, hope this changes for you. If a song moves you, and is a favorite, the very process of dancing to it yourself, would be amazing...and you might never know the number of people YOU inspire because of it...

I find dancing is tied to the individual. So, while I may be impressed at choreography that really matches the music and words, I would just view it as their 'perfect' interpretation for them, and many more 'perfect' interpretations are possible.

I've never seen anything that would match your description of ruining a song. Have to say though, I think I'm an odd-ball on D-F for as much as I'm passionate about dancing, I don't follow how the top performers are doing (not even Blackpool results), often don't know who they are when they are mentioned on D-F, and very, very, very rarely watch a you-tube performance. I'm more into the actual *dancing* part of dancing...so maybe that is also why no songs are ruined for me.

Nice thread idea for those who enjoy the you-tubes...as your description will certainly lead to some gems I'm sure...
Thank you, CANI!

I suppose I feel their flawless technique enables an incredible range of expression, ultimately producing an interpretation far beyond any I could imagine for myself.

I don't think you're an oddball. I don't think you have to be into performance or competition to be passionate about dancing. Those are just two facets. I've put some choreography together for a song and danced it only once. It was just a friend and me in a studio backroom, no one there to watch us, simply dancing for the sake of dancing...and the music...

:idea: Hmmm, I think I may be starting to understand you. Perhaps something about taking dancing more towards the introspective side?

Then, I saw this.....
What a lovely performance! :( Awww...I'm awfully sorry, Yanou. :hug:

I've actually been somewhat paranoid of telling others my favorite songs. :oops: And I've started looking for songs in more obscure places: video game soundtracks, little-known movies, classical music (Jurga and Vaidas have inspired me to hunt for some potential gems in the baroque). Perhaps the only fool-proof method is to compose my own music? Somewhat related: I wonder if anyone's ever choreographed a routine, and then written the music...? :)

I hope no one touches your other songs!

Dance Ads