Stupid things leads say at group lessons

IndyLady

Oh yeah...I am quite heavy, but I get compliments on how easy I am to lead, how light I am on my feet, etc.
Same here... we must be soul sistahs. :D

Some of the heaviest follows I danced with were 90 lb little old ladies who'd never danced before.
Obviously I don't lead anywhere near as often as the gentlemen here, but totally agree - I have found that weight is not correlated to following light/heavy.

This is one thing I don't like about dancing with women who are extremely drunk -- inevitably, she's going to lean on you.
And perpetually late/behind... I've lead a couple of drunk follows, it's a special challenge of its own.

FancyFeet

Lol. Apparently I follow better when right at that point between tipsy and drunk, because it makes me relax and listen... and you know, actually follow!

MaggieMoves

Lol. Apparently I follow better when right at that point between tipsy and drunk, because it makes me relax and listen... and you know, actually follow!
I think there might be a happy median about my willingness to follow if I've had a bad day. Maybe about one drink or slightly more puts me in a much better mood for social dancing.

If I have a drink before I meet my pro or practice partner though? They'd kick my butt.

cornutt

Um, Pro has actually offered me a shot prior to taking the competition floor...
Heck, I've taken one before a comp heat. There is definitely a balance point. A little can help your focus by relaxing you and getting unrelated matters out of your head. But too much reduces your sensitivity and slows your reaction time, and then everything gets out of whack with your partner.

JudeMorrigan

Heh. This reminds me of a social dance I went to a few years back. It was margarita night, and I had one (emphasis on the one) during the mid-dance break. The first dance after the break was a quickstep, which my am-partner-at-the-time and I always danced together. About halfway down the first long wall, I got a "how many have you had?!" from her.

Suffice it to say, I've avoided pre-competition alcohol. :D

Yep...lol get this...first time dancing with this guy and his manners need an adjustment. During post lesson practice he decides to ask me to dance, quiries me what dances and I know, ignores my reply then proceeds to fling me into some random freestyle stuff I am supposed to magically acclimate to as a newbie then dips me. Then stops mid dance and asks me "how much do you weigh?" Just hand in your "man-card"...you never ask a lady how much she weighs! Wtf?
I think a good rule of thumb can be that if someone makes you feel uncomfortable don't spend more time with them. Of course sometimes you can't avoid it. I have had some funny situations at the Chinese studio where I have worked. There, they will actually just skip the person if they don't like them and no explanation is required.

Dance Ads