Summer bugs- how to fight or at least manage them?

anntennis

Does anybody have natural way of fighting mosquitoes’ and all those little flying vampires?
I love summer, but those invisible flying blood – suckers really ruin any summer fun. Over the counters medication/spray sometimes make you feel worse than real bite. Any ideas/tricks?

3wishes

Love the the marigolds and lavendar. Worked well in my yards, however,
at the Havasu/Colorado River region there is this wonderful biting bug called...
No See Um's. Because you can't see them and they leave lovely welts after biting.
I think they are worse than mesquitos, although, with West Nile Virus in our area,,,natural opponents of mesquitos are layered with...suggested OTCs from the CDC.
I personally have used Avon Skin So Soft for over 2 decades, especially at the River. Fabulous!

anntennis

That is actually very serious issue: over the counter solutions have very bad allergy/skin reaction, and their smell is horrible to endure. So I will try marigolds and lavender and see if it works. Thanks.

Larinda McRaven

Site Moderator
Staff member
HOME MADE MOSQUITO REPELLENT (ALSO FOR ANTS & FLEAS)
(And free from chemicals that poison the body)

Ingredients:

1/2 litre of alcohol
100 gram of whole cloves
100 ml of baby oil or similar (almond, sesame, chamomile, lavender, fennel etc)

Preparation:
Leave cloves to marinate in alcohol four days
Stir every morning and evening
After 4 days add the oil
It's now ready to use.

How to use:

Gently rub a few drops into the skin of the arms and legs.
Observe the mosquitoes fleeing the room.
Repels fleas on pets too.

Larinda McRaven

Site Moderator
Staff member
I know DEET is the active ingredient in bug repellent that has been proven to work the best, however, DEET is not my favorite thing to put on my body or my daughter’s body on a regular basis. So unless I am camping, I choose to make my own non-toxic bug repellent. Since I have been using this bar, I have noticed I may still get a bite or two but not 15 bites. This bar is great for everyday use in my backyard or for a nightly neighborhood stroll.

I really like essential oil blends for this bug repellent bar because it makes my life easier. I don’t need to buy all of these oils separately. I know I would never use a full bottle of them. I add my favorite oil blend, Thieves oil, which includes clove, lemon, cinnamon bark, eucalyptus, and rosemary essential oils. A new oil blend I am loving right now is one called Purification. It is a blend of citronella, lemongrass, lavandin, rosemary, melaleuca, and myrtle essential oils. All of these scents keep those mosquitoes away!

There is an additional benefit to having Purification oil on hand: you can dab a drop onto any bite or sting and it will take the itch out. I got two bites on my shoulder the other night and I put Purification on them and they haven’t been itchy since!

Bug Repellent Lotion Bars

Ingredients

Directions

Using a glass bowl set over a simmering pot of water, gently melt beeswax, coconut oil, and cocoa or shea butter.
Stir ingredients until melted.
Remove from heat. Add essential oils and optional Vitamin E. Stir until blended, then pour into a mold. I like these silicon molds.
Allow to cool before removing from molds. You can place them in the fridge to speed things up a bit.
These bars will stay good for up to 6 months. Store in an airtight container. I use these tins to carry them around with me in my purse!
- See more at: http://www.homemademommy.net/2013/05/bug-repellent-lotion-bars.html#sthash.lwsAuZ5i.dpuf

samina

I have a homemade body butter with a strong dose of lavendar & bergamot, which is said to work. There are many other essential oils that apparently work. Someone in our family circle is very prone to bug bites & irritations, so I'm experimenting with various things for her.

She uses my beeswax-rose-coconut oil-apricot kernel oil-jojoba-vitamin E body butter to soothe her bites. Works well for a short time, but adding food-grade D.E. to her water seems to get rid of the inflammation completely overnight.

see:

Also try washing with an anti bacterial soap. Recent scientific studies show this helps. And this is probably why herbals work; many are anti bacterial

samina

I recently heard that biting bugs don't care for the scent of B vitamins or garlic emanating from one's pores. Summer could be the time to jack those bits up...

bia

This is no good for hiking/gardening, etc., but if you're just looking to sit on a porch or patio, set up a fan to blow across the seating area. Mosquitoes are light -- they just blow away. And you stay cool, too!

Dance Ads