Sweating while dancing

Thank you all for the warm welcome.

I made the switch from knit shirts to guayaberas (thanks for the correciton) for Salsa dance attire and haven't looked back. After a few dances in a knit shirt, they felt like those lead vests the dentist has you wear when they take your x-rays.

It's much more comfortable dancing in a guayabera. Since they aren't tucked in, that helps quite a bit with the heat release.

I've got quite a few Cubaveras which are a contemporary version of the guayabera. You can find traditional ones at Penner's (www.pennersinc.com).

-------------------
I don't have a Salsa Dancing problem...
I hear Salsa music... I dance...
NO PROBLEM!!!
 
Josh said:
These say they are 65% polyester / 35% cotton. Have you worn one? (says they are for men and women) I can't imagine it's too comfortable to dance in if it's not all cotton...?
Au contraire-
the synthetic blended in there makes it easier to breathe & dry out. 8)
 
This week I tried as special shirt which is developed to transport sweat. For me as a girl, it's not really sexy and I will only wear it while I'm training. But for man, I think it's cool. It's called:

ultra light from Falke
www.falke.com

It really worked. Off course I wass not sweatting less. So my the sweat was dripping of my face. But the t-shirt somehowe stayed almost dry, because of the knitting techniek and the material.. really cool..
 
mambonewb said:
I made the switch from knit shirts to guayaberas (thanks for the correciton) for Salsa dance attire and haven't looked back. After a few dances in a knit shirt, they felt like those lead vests the dentist has you wear when they take your x-rays.

It's much more comfortable dancing in a guayabera. Since they aren't tucked in, that helps quite a bit with the heat release.
I don't know why more people don't wear guayaberas! :? When I plan to do some serious dancing, a guayabera is my numero uno shirt of choice (with an undershirt underneath). They give me absolute freedom of movement and, like mambonewb indicated, the loose fit allows the body to stay cooler, with less sweat making its way through the undershirt to the guayabera. The only possible downside is that the untucked lower part of the shirt may hide some of the wearer's hip moves -- if you like to do that sort of thing during Salsa. :roll: :wink: :twisted: On the other hand, the loose guayabera can also hide the fact that I may have eaten too many donuts that particular week. 8) :lol:

I own 2 white guayaberas, 2 black guayaberas, and perhaps 4 or 5 more in different colors.
 

pygmalion

Well-Known Member
Ismile2you said:
This week I tried as special shirt which is developed to transport sweat. For me as a girl, it's not really sexy and I will only wear it while I'm training. But for man, I think it's cool. It's called:

ultra light from Falke
www.falke.com

It really worked. Off course I wass not sweatting less. So my the sweat was dripping of my face. But the t-shirt somehowe stayed almost dry, because of the knitting techniek and the material.. really cool..
Excellent. Thanks for the suggestion. :D
 

pygmalion

Well-Known Member
Big10 said:
mambonewb said:
I made the switch from knit shirts to guayaberas (thanks for the correciton) for Salsa dance attire and haven't looked back. After a few dances in a knit shirt, they felt like those lead vests the dentist has you wear when they take your x-rays.

It's much more comfortable dancing in a guayabera. Since they aren't tucked in, that helps quite a bit with the heat release.
I don't know why more people don't wear guayaberas! :? When I plan to do some serious dancing, a guayabera is my numero uno shirt of choice (with an undershirt underneath). They give me absolute freedom of movement and, like mambonewb indicated, the loose fit allows the body to stay cooler, with less sweat making its way through the undershirt to the guayabera. The only possible downside is that the untucked lower part of the shirt may hide some of the wearer's hip moves -- if you like to do that sort of thing during Salsa. :roll: :wink: :twisted: On the other hand, the loose guayabera can also hide the fact that I may have eaten too many donuts that particular week. 8) :lol:

I own 2 white guayaberas, 2 black guayaberas, and perhaps 4 or 5 more in different colors.
Where do you buy them in the States? I've seen them in stores in Miami and the Caribbean. Every once in a while, I've seen them other places. But not consistently anywhere stateside other than south Florida. :?

I actually think it's a pretty attractive look, btw, for a guy with the right build. :wink: 8)
 

pygmalion

Well-Known Member
I like them on guys with a nice, full chest. Belly or no doesn't really matter to me. But ya gotta have some pecs, IMO. Not necessarily well defined. Just pecs. :kissme: :wink: :D
 
My buddy who is a salsa instructor has FINALLY started going to a gym and is getting some pecs. It's good for him as he prefers to wear clingy garments or sleeveless shirts(see photo album for pics of pecs)...
 
pygmalion said:
Where do you buy them in the States? I've seen them in stores in Miami and the Caribbean. Every once in a while, I've seen them other places. But not consistently anywhere other than south Florida. :?
Here in Houston, I've found a few in mall department/clothing stores. I've also found a few at a place called "Fiesta," which is a chain of supermarkets geared toward the Latino community. (I don't know if they're just in Houston, or if they've spread to other parts of Texas.) Anyway, there are a couple of Fiesta "mega-stores" along the lines of a Super Wal-Mart with groceries, electronics, shoes, and clothing -- including guayaberas. Houston has a huge population of people from basically every Latin-American country.

pygmalion said:
I actually think it's a pretty attractive look, btw, for a guy with the right build. :wink: 8)
Yeah, I've received a few compliments on mine -- I mean my choice in guayaberas, not necessarily my build. :wink:
 

pygmalion

Well-Known Member
Big10 said:
pygmalion said:
I actually think it's a pretty attractive look, btw, for a guy with the right build. :wink: 8)
Yeah, I've received a few compliments on mine -- I mean my choice in guayaberas, not necessarily my build. :wink:
Understood. There's something really macho about the look, IMHO. :wink: I like macho.

I'll check out Fiesta, next time I'm there. I usually just go for the inexpensive produce. I'll check out the other side of the store, next time I'm there. 8) :D Thanks for the tip. :D
 
pygmalion said:
I'll check out Fiesta, next time I'm there. I usually just go for the inexpensive produce. I'll check out the other side of the store, next time I'm there. 8) :D Thanks for the tip. :D
Oh yeah, you do make it through Houston sometimes, don't you? :wink: There's one particular Fiesta on Hillcroft, a few blocks south of Highway 59, that tends to have a fairly good selection of guayaberas.
 

pygmalion

Well-Known Member
Big10 said:
pygmalion said:
I'll check out Fiesta, next time I'm there. I usually just go for the inexpensive produce. I'll check out the other side of the store, next time I'm there. 8) :D Thanks for the tip. :D
Oh yeah, you do make it through Houston sometimes, don't you? :wink: There's one particular Fiesta on Hillcroft, a few blocks south of Highway 59, that tends to have a fairly good selection of guayaberas.
Cool! Thanks. Yep. I'm planning a trip to Houston with my sister in a month or so. :D
 
pygmalion said:
I'm planning a trip to Houston with my sister in a month or so. :D
Well, whenever you finalize the dates, remember to use this little button:


It would be an honor to dance with THE pygmalion! 8)
 

Josh

Active Member
cocodrilo said:
The guayabera kind of flows on you, so they look good on any kind of body type, skinny or even beer-bellied...
Are you sure ANYthing looks good on top of a "beer belly"? :lol:

I will look further into these shirts ... I'm a bit intrigued now. :D
 

Dance Ads