Swing Dance Clothes

luh

since i added a foto, it's pretty obvious how I like to look. It's pretty much like the foto, - t-shirts change ;) (of those pants i have tons) :D
luh

Do u want a great swing (or whatever you are dancing) outfit.
Have you heard of hindu pants?? They are made of a really light and fresh fabric. They are wide and extremaly confortable.
In the top I would wear a fit t shirt.

I've started to dress up more for dances. I like clothes that are smart, loose and light. I also prefer clothes that I can wear away from dances.

I've also just started to wear what in the UK are called 'fashion trainers', like Nike Air Force 1's as shown here (I've now learned they are basketball shoes, but they look and feel good for dancing and general wear) -

http://www.jdsports.co.uk/product.asp?id=4408&lg=1

I stick 'elephant tape' (or 'duct tape') all over the soles so that I can slide in them -

http://www.office-supplies-uk.co.uk/SELLOTAPE_ELEPHANT_TAPE_50X25_3883_-_Pack_of_4_17299.html

Vince A

huey . . . FYI . . .
The pic shows those shoes at 54.99 pounds, which is roughly 99.55 US dollars . . . I pay about $55 for a pair of Bloch's dance tennis shoes - about 30 pounds - and I wear them everywhere . . . even to and from dance places . . . and, I can slide in them, as well!

Dance tennis shoes put you on the balls of your feet where you belong!

Although, I know quite a few people who also do what you do!

Vince A said:
huey . . . FYI . . .
I pay about $55 for a pair of Bloch's dance tennis shoes - about 30 pounds - and I wear them everywhere . . . even to and from dance places . . . and, I can slide in them, as well!

Dance tennis shoes put you on the balls of your feet where you belong!
Hi Vince,

Thanks.

Do you mean these? -

http://www.blochworld.com/outsideframe.cfm?location=product/storeframe.cfm?groupid=2

I have some Bloch 'dance trainers' as I call them, but they don't look as good as the Nike Air Force 1 pair, and are very dangerous for going up and down stairs, having a split sole with no support beneath the arch. I've nearly fallen down stairs several times when wearing them outside dance halls, so I've stopped doing that.

luh

i used to dance just in my dance shoes. wingtipps with leather sole. Since i haven't had them always with me when i needed them, i also used chucks, or whetever i got with me. (socks)
On friday there'll be a dance outside. I'm probably going to use chucks again. don't want to wear down my leather soles.
luh

Diavo said:
Skater Sneakers work surprisingly well though. You can't do slide-y moves, but the comfort and spring in your step certainly make up for it.
I don't swing dance, but I've got to say I love my Vans for regular club dancing. Lovely, lovely shoes to dance in. At my favourite club, I can even slide and spin in them -- at least later on in the evening when the floor is wet with spilled drinks!

luh

Ms_Sunlight said:
Diavo said:
Skater Sneakers work surprisingly well though. You can't do slide-y moves, but the comfort and spring in your step certainly make up for it.
I don't swing dance, but I've got to say I love my Vans for regular club dancing. Lovely, lovely shoes to dance in. At my favourite club, I can even slide and spin in them -- at least later on in the evening when the floor is wet with spilled drinks!
drinks on the floor. YUK. that's the worst. don't take beverages on the floor. I hate it if someone does that.
luh

luh said:
drinks on the floor. YUK. that's the worst. don't take beverages on the floor. I hate it if someone does that.
luh
It's a rock/indie/punk club with live bands. Spilled drinks are a given -- but rubber soles can cope with them!

If I saw someone dancing with a drink at the salsa evenings where I wear my suede-soled shoes I might be a little dischuffed. :D

luh

Ms_Sunlight said:
luh said:
luh
It's a rock/indie/punk club with live bands. Spilled drinks are a given -- but rubber soles can cope with them!

If I saw someone dancing with a drink at the salsa evenings where I wear my suede-soled shoes I might be a little dischuffed. :D
okay, that is something different. that is no real dancing, just mash pot. i'd never go with my drink there- would be afraid it gets spilled ;)
luh

What i wear depends on the dance...

for my dances that i go to on saturday, which have live band, and are held only once a month, I dress up, nice skirt, do my hair pretty, makeup etc a blouse or tank top.... This is how the people that go there dress, so thats how we dress...

For thurday night dances, which are just the kids from school getting together and swing dancing, i just wear what i wore during the day, even sneakers, beacuse we don't dance much... for friday stuff, which is right after school the same thing except i throw on my cheapo payless shoes beacuse we have lessons and i need to dance like i somewhat know what i am doing!!!

for sunday night dances, these are all the good people to dance with, that i dance with weekly... I used to dress normal for this dance, jeans and a t shirt, or whatever i was wearing during the day.. But last sunday my friends and i did an experiment, just to see what happened. I have one friend who normally gets asked to dance just about every other dance, but she always wears skirts.. This week she decided not to wear a skirt, but just to wear a nice pair of capris.... I normally wear skirts, about every other week, but they are normally down to my knees and don't spin out much, they just kinda stay down there.. This week i wore a skirt about to my knees that poofs WAY OUT when i am dancing and looks really cool.. My other friend, also wore one of these types of skirts (not planned!) lol sooo my friend and i wearing the poofy skirts that spin really pretty got asked to dance practically every song, and my friend who was wearing pants, only got asked to dance about 10 times all night.... Sooo from now on, we will always be wearing poofy skirts to dancing on sundays and on saturdays... This dance is normally just dress up pretty, but i do not take the effort to do hair or makeup!

For shoes i wear dress shoes to the dance and put on my "dance team" shoes to dance in, which are cheapo payless sneakers, and put insoles in them.... they were all white and had bottoms made ot felt, we painted them so the toe and heal were dark blue and they matched our skirts. They had great spin to them, better than leather bottomed dance shoes that i have worn! Then i found these really nice pair of sneakers, made for, i am not sure exactly, but i started out wearing them as normal every day sneakers. They have really nice padding and support, but they arn't high, and they arn't too think, otherwise i trip over them.... lol, so they are low and really nice... But ione day i was in the grocery store and randomly started doing the shimsham while my mom was trying to get us some cheese... lol.. and i realised that they were really aweseome to spin in! Better than my dance team shoes, and better than the actual dancing shoes that i have tryed! Sooo no matter what i am wearing, i wear these shoes while i am dancing. Unfortunatly they look very much like running shoes, and very unlike what you are suppossed to wear dancing, so they look really funny when i walk inside wearing fancy shoes, and change into sneakers when i get inside, and the big spiffy dancers who are wearing nice dance shoes always ask me about them and i just laugh beacuse they were normal shoes, but than i switched them to being my dancing shoes! lol...

wow.. that is a reallyt long post, i never realised how much i thought about what i was wearing dancing!

luh said:
On friday there'll be a dance outside. I'm probably going to use chucks again. don't want to wear down my leather soles.
luh
I find wearing leather dance shoes outside quickly ruins the soft leather soles and makes them useless to dance in.

When Blue Sky 5 plays [like tonight!] I put on big baggy blue dess pants with a black T-shirt / beater and a black lounge shirt with 2 blue panels (and black woven fire up them) so show my support. =)

It's zooty without the suity. :wink:

Vince A

Sorry, I had forgotten about this thread . . . yes, those are the ones. I think I use the Boost DRT Silver Mesh in black, and my wife has the blue and red!

huey said:
I have some Bloch 'dance trainers' as I call them, but they don't look as good as the Nike Air Force 1 pair, and are very dangerous for going up and down stairs, having a split sole with no support beneath the arch. I've nearly fallen down stairs several times when wearing them outside dance halls, so I've stopped doing that.
Oh no . . . be careful.

You stopped what? Wearing the Bloch's or staying off the stairs outside of dance halls - J/K!

I wear mine everywhere . . . never had a problem with stairs or anything. I've even rode a bicycle in them with no problems.

You DO have to remember that you have them on!!!

pygmalion

So what does one wear to a swing dance convention? Based on what I have been seeing: Guys, comfy pants, leather soled shoes, dress shirt. Gal: Comfy pants, sleeveless shirt that minimizes possibility of wardrobe malfunctions, low-heeled ballroom practice sandals or sneakers.

Thoughts?

Siggav

Depends what type of swingdance. The way people dress up for WCS and Lindy are quite different.

You tend to see a vintage nod in the big lindy evening dances at conventions. Lots of dresses and skirts, hair flowers, red lipstick etc. Shoes however most often flat sueded keds or other flat dance shoes. There are girls who go in low heels but it's pretty rare. The guys quite often in dress trousers, a shirt and a vest if they're wanting to dress up.

In the classes during the day, fewer hair flowers and less make up but still a lot of skirts and dresses but less fancy ones.

What you described seems like what I'd expect with west coast swing outfits. I've only ever been to pure lindy or pure blues events so that's the only thing I have direct experience with

bookish

For local dances (and events too, for that matter) jeans are also common. Not everyone dresses up, and at local weekly dances most people don't, unless they just enjoy it (or there'll be some specific accessories like hair flowers). On the other hand, some people *really* dress up for events, often vintage style.

I don't generally like the shirt, trousers, and vest look, but it's common for men who want to look dressy without wearing a jacket (same as with ballroom comps). I prefer sweaters.

Dance Ads