tango as a competition

Feeling is the most important part for tango, we can say that combinations, adornos etc. like a result while you are dancing. So, a tango competiton is an opposite idea to soul of tango or is this exactly different subject for you?

LadyLeader

I think it is about feedback, witch is important for us as individuals and it is also an important tool for transferring the tradition to next generation. There could be strong personalities, community members who's opinions are appreciated and followed or it can be organized by competitions with clear rules according to the traditions.

Youtube has taken the old local community traditon to a modern level when the feedback, the peer ratings are created at ww level by YT view count numbers. This works for the Argentine tango of today!

Finnish tango feedback is still organized in a more oldfashioned way by a large number of competitions at different levels. It is nearly impossible to find a youtube video featuring the Finnish tango but the Argentine tango in Finland is too more to the youtube.

I think it is about feedback, witch is important for us as individuals and it is also an important tool for transferring the tradition to next generation. There could be strong personalities, community members who's opinions are appreciated and followed or it can be organized by competitions with clear rules according to the traditions.

Youtube has taken the old local community traditon to a modern level when the feedback, the peer ratings are created at ww level by YT view count numbers. This works for the Argentine tango of today!

Finnish tango feedback is still organized in a more oldfashioned way by a large number of competitions at different levels. It is nearly impossible to find a youtube video featuring the Finnish tango but the Argentine tango in Finland is too more to the youtube.
thank you for your answer

Mladenac

Feeling is the most important part for tango, we can say that combinations, adornos etc. like a result while you are dancing. So, a tango competiton is an opposite idea to soul of tango or is this exactly different subject for you?
Competitions are means for certain couples to get money and to become performers,
and to do that they need to practice certain style that is desirable at those kind of events.
Some other become performers without getting into competitions.

I don't understand why a certain feeling is connected to tango and which it is.
To me tango is connected to becoming aware of my and partners feelings.
It can be don't while doing intimate dnace while also something very cheerful.

Steve Pastor

Staff member
You may have seen this in another recent thread.

Clay Nelson, who was one of the big dogs in getting AT started in Portland, OR, has a poll site, and the results are here. http://tangoclay.us/poll/

July 2015--What's your opinion about the value of tango competitions?

Helpful to the spirit and growth of social tango. 21.47% (41 votes)

Hurtful to the spirit and growth of social tango. 78.53% (150 votes)

I don't know if it's hurtful, but I have absolutely no interest in it and am thankful that it is of little interest to most people who dance AT.
This topic reminds me of all the spinning, kicking couples that I encountered over the years and who endanger others on the dance floor.

I think social tango and competition tango are two different things, almost a world apart. Competition tango is not at all needed for the community and someone deciding to train for a competitive tango would be less likely to dance socially (at least during the training period) just because competition tango is a dance sport, just like ballroom sport. It takes dedication, a lot of sweat and tears, and it is for those who enjoy engaging in challenging sports with a possibility of winning. Of course those who actually do go on to winning those things often become travelling performers, invited to demo at milongas, as well as often starting to teach (for better or for worse - that is another topic).
The majority of those dancing socially while enjoying watching demos, are not at all influenced by them, and after the lights are dimmed after the performance, go on to dance the way they enjoy dancing.
On another hand, training for a competition does allow one to be more focused and - winning or not - does improve one's skills dramatically just by the virtue of many-many hours of training with a dedicated partner and focused private lessons. There is no surprise that while most of the social dancers who would not consider competing at all, would definitely seek to invite or be invited by the competition winners or runner-ups - because the skill of these dancers is undeniable.

Mladenac

There is no surprise that while most of the social dancers who would not consider competing at all, would definitely seek to invite or be invited by the competition winners or runner-ups - because the skill of these dancers is undeniable.
It is undeniable in visual presentation with the partner.
Dancing with others is completely other world.
Adjusting to partner, current music and dance floor.

LadyLeader

. . . . There is no surprise that while most of the social dancers who would not consider competing at all, would definitely seek to invite or be invited by the competition winners or runner-ups - because the skill of these dancers is undeniable.
You are right but it is not sure they will return to these dancers . . .

She was part of an dance entertaining group on a lyx cruiser. Her following looked perfect and her movements were extremely beautiful. I fully understood that she was qualified to the dance job!

When we danced she was doing exactly the right movements to my lead but she was dancing parallell, not connected. It was a surprise and I was deeply shocked. This has been my most clear experience of an empty abrazo. It revealed to me how important, fundamental the connection is within tango and I think it can not be replaced by good technical skills. Facilitated yes, but not replaced.

It is funny coincidence I saw this post today because just last night I was watching this video, featuring multiple successful people and their secrets to success. One of them was Cristiano Ronaldo( soccer player) and he listed different things but I think three of them apply perfectly here:
1) Just play...make it for Tango: Just dance
Enjoy the fact that you are dancing. Dance for the dance
2) Work hard...
3) Be competitive and challenge yourself
This is the interesting part...he is not referring to the competitive style of his profession--as soccer is very competitive--but he is referring to being competitive in general...in the game, in the training, in his house, even with himself...! mmmm
So think about it...What if a competition is not about the title--if the title comes that is awesome--but what if it is about giving yourself a challenge, a push. An extreme opportunity, a chance to be competitive with yourself at this level, so you can become better...!

Like Mikhail Baryshnikov once said: "I don't try to dance better than anyone else. I only try to dance better than myself"
:)

TomTango

Has anyone ever heard of there being tango jack and jill competitions? Since these competitions are more in the spirit of fun and judge how well you connect with a stranger, do you think they're more in line with the ideas of tango?

I have heard of a few such events, nothing "official", just for fun. Actually, in a milonga, the partners are not randomly assigned to each other. We pick who we mutually like/desire, and it often happens after some observing time/process. So, trying to connect with a partner drawn out of a hat is no more in the spirit of the tango than dancing with a chosen partner.... perhaps even less.

You may have seen this in another recent thread.

Clay Nelson, who was one of the big dogs in getting AT started in Portland, OR, has a poll site, and the results are here. http://tangoclay.us/poll/

July 2015--What's your opinion about the value of tango competitions?

Helpful to the spirit and growth of social tango. 21.47% (41 votes)

Hurtful to the spirit and growth of social tango. 78.53% (150 votes)

I don't know if it's hurtful, but I have absolutely no interest in it and am thankful that it is of little interest to most people who dance AT.
This topic reminds me of all the spinning, kicking couples that I encountered over the years and who endanger others on the dance floor.
its awesome reply , thank you so much.

Dance Ads