Tango in Paris, Delhi, and Dubai?

Work travels are taking me to some exotic locations this summer.
I'll have a little free time some of my nights. Milonga suggestions for me? Obviously milongas friendly to visitors would be great!
I know some foreign language but can only really converse well in English, and have a few years of Tango experience. Any "survival guide" tips would be great!
Thanks in advance.

Two years ago I was in Paris and went through a process similar to yours. The aforementioned website was all that I used and it was very effective. So, I'll add some additional information which you may find helpful depending on your interests.

There are many different places to tango in Paris and I highly recommend that you attempt to get the full Parisian tango experience. If the weather is pleasant try a number of outdoor venues. There is nothing as memorable as dancing in front of the Eiffel Tower or along the Seine river. I can't recommend these two locations enough. I've included a few photos day/night. Make sure to view the Tango movie, The Tango Lesson before your trip to Paris. Many of the shots use the Seine as a backdrop to give you an idea. The Seine location is Jardin Tino Rossi. At these outdoor locations you will meet many foreigners and a range of dancing skills from very experienced to folks who were standing around watching and wanted to know more about tango.

I happened to be in Paris at the time of the France Tango Championships. The winners of this competition then go to Buenos Aires to compete in the world competition. If you get a chance to go to a venue that is in an old hotel or other landmark I also recommend it. It was like dancing in Versailles with it's tall ceilings, gold filigree, and overall beautiful venue (photo included). Very memorable.

And the one other set of venues I visited were the milongas at little restaurants where it's a completely different feel as it's 90% local people and English may or may not be spoken. It was a little more challenging as wife/I were not known to the locals, but it was charming nevertheless.

Lastly, and especially true of dancing outside, you will find that the dancers will put their dance bag/daypacks/purses etc. in the middle of the dance space and will have them tied to a long rope. This is to prevent someone from grabbing your valuables and running off with them. Not all outdoor venues do this, but I had a small lock and chain where I could lock my bag to something to provide some deterrence. I also locked up at some indoor venues. It's not fool proof by any means, but maybe someone will grab someone else's bag before your's if that's what they have in mind. By the way I never had any problems with theft, but these are some conventions I found while in Paris. Oh, and consider bringing an old pair of shoes if you dance outside. The concrete is very hard on shoes. I had a pair of tango sneakers that worked well in these locations.

Hope this helps.

Attachments

Numawan and Pascal: Many thanks for the link. I thought it might be a week's worth of Tango, it was just a day's worth of Tango events on the map! Beaucoup milongas! You could actually go milonga-hopping in Paris like people go bar hopping. I wonder if there is a record for most Parisian milongas in 24 hours done by one dancer?
Pascal and Someday: Outdoors does sound great!
Someday: Thank you for a great post! It's a sad part of big city life, but I appreciate the security tips. I could look like a real tourist and dance with my backpack on. I might be trying too hard to read between the lines, but did I catch it right that maybe you or your wife had challenges getting dances with the locals? Or were you referring to the language barrier? Pascal, can you give me 5 or 10 things in French the ladies would love to hear at a milonga?
So any Delhi or Dubai suggestions?

The language barrier is NOT an issue. After all, the language is a cabaceo followed by a tango. I had fun at several milongas where folks did not speak English. I was in Bariloche, Argentina recently at a milonga and one woman who really wanted to find out more about my dancing (where I was from, who were my teachers, etc) ran to get her friend who did speak English. If folks want to know more, they'll find a way to communicate.

The complexity for me was that as non-locals, it was a little more difficult for me to get a dance (I use cabaceo) and much more difficult for wife. It's another discussion entirely regarding the challenges women have in finding a partner for dancing.

I would not dance with a backpack nor did I. It is sufficient to tie it to the rope as mentioned (and shown in the picture). I only mention it because it took me a while to figure out what was going on with all the backpacks etc. that were collected in the middle of the floor. Again, I had no problems with theft nor did I hear about any issues. It looked like common sense precautions for when you leave your stuff in public.

For Dehli check out: http://www.delhimilonga.com/

When I travel, I will often reach out to those who run milongas and introduce myself (via email) in advance of my trip and ask a few questions. It's a good way to establish a connection and then when you arrive and if they are friendly/supportive, they may be expecting you and introduce you around or give you info on other milongas/venues. The internet isn't new anymore so use it :)

I've made friends in my cities by reaching out in advance and just starting a small conversation. It can be as simple as verifying that the class/milonga happens on the date posted, is the class taught in English or other language, any particular rules, cost, places to eat nearby, safety of the location, etc. I do recommend taking a class if they offer it (even beginner) just as a way of meeting people and socializing. Then you'll have at least a name of someone with whom to dance at the practica or milonga. I think you already are aware of this.
Have fun.

You'd better go to festivals that have many strangers. It'll be easier to get dances with people who are also strangers there. Plan accordingly.

If you go to a milonga, locals may ignore you.

Someday, emailing is a good idea. I did that already with one organizer who listed "every other week" but with only that I have a 50% chance if I just show up.

I'm not going to Tango, I agree a festival or perhaps Buenos Aires is better for that. As long as I'm there and have a free evening I thought to give overseas Tango a try. I have good luck getting dances when I travel in America, but in any case it will be a travel adventure. I do plan to observe and try to fit in with the local customs.

Thank you for the links, too.

Mladenac

I'm not going to Tango, I agree a festival or perhaps Buenos Aires is better for that. As long as I'm there and have a free evening I thought to give overseas Tango a try. I have good luck getting dances when I travel in America, but in any case it will be a travel adventure. I do plan to observe and try to fit in with the local customs.
Some people take when they travel for tango don't do any sightseeing.
Having a break from tango is also a good idea. ;)

Dance Ads