Tango Tantra

jantango

"Tango is a yoga. Like tantra, it is a spiritual path that hosts the union of the opposite polarities-the yin and yang. Tango tantra is a living art, as natural as nature, spontaneous, beautiful, serene or fiery, dramatic or meditative. Tango tantra calls for surrender, respect, awakened consciousness, self-love, mindfulness and an ego-less state."

opendoor

Like tantra….the union of the opposite polarities-the yin and yang..
Tantra actually got nothing to do with Yin - Yang. You may call me narrow-minded or conceited, but I don´t like mixing beliefs, systems, ideologies, traits:
Yin - Yang stems from taoism, tantra from buddism, yoga from hinduism, tango from cuban danza.
Most likely her tantra teaching is as bad as her tango education.

"Tango is a yoga. Like tantra, it is a spiritual path that hosts the union of the opposite polarities-the yin and yang. Tango tantra is a living art, as natural as nature, spontaneous, beautiful, serene or fiery, dramatic or meditative. Tango tantra calls for surrender, respect, awakened consciousness, self-love, mindfulness and an ego-less state."
I agree with just about everything that was said and written. She is talking about chemistry and connection in tango, which doesn't happen often. I don't know enough about ying-yang to comment and I don't like the word surrender because following is NOT the same as surrendering. I love a woman who inserts her personality with well placed adornments that fit the music. (Some women finish too late.)

She is describing tango as in the old Argentine expression:
4 legs
2 bodies
1 heart

When you dance with one heart, figures mean nothing and all you FEEL is music and partner. I remember when it happened to me. I understood close embrace. My partner taught me closer embrace. If she held me any closer, I'd be behind her. My heart skipped a few beats.

I didn't understand until I read the book
Men are from Mars. Women are from Buenos Aires.

There's a big difference between physical and emotional tangos.

rain_dog

Reminds me of "Fifty Shades of Grey" in my inability to stand it for very long.
It reminds me of an old joke: When art critics get together they talk about form and meaning and use words like post-modern and structuralism. When artists get together they talk about where to find the cheapest paints and brushes.

I wouldn't say she's wrong, exactly, since the 'connection' is one of tango's charms. But it's a fairly naive view of the tango connection, in that it really only comes about from hard-earned technique and immersion in the music. While she's waxing poetically about 'connection', her partners are probably lamenting their aching backs and her clunky steps and tin ear.

I should say that I have no idea how good of a dancer she is. She may be exquisite. But all of the exquisite dancers I know don't talk about dance in those terms.

Lui

In this regard I’m personally with the King:

“A little less conversation, a little more action please…”

… on and off the dance floor.

dchester

Staff member
It reminds me of an old joke: When art critics get together they talk about form and meaning and use words like post-modern and structuralism. When artists get together they talk about where to find the cheapest paints and brushes.

I wouldn't say she's wrong, exactly, since the 'connection' is one of tango's charms. But it's a fairly naive view of the tango connection, in that it really only comes about from hard-earned technique and immersion in the music. While she's waxing poetically about 'connection', her partners are probably lamenting their aching backs and her clunky steps and tin ear.

I should say that I have no idea how good of a dancer she is. She may be exquisite. But all of the exquisite dancers I know don't talk about dance in those terms.
Different people like different things. If she's tall enough, I'd like to dance with her.

Angel HI

I believe this thread is being a bit over-critical. First of all, the woman in the vid stated that she is brand new to this We should understand that her views, understandings, comparisons, etc are equally as embryonic in their maturities, and we should take them for what they are.
Tantra actually got nothing to do with .....
This is horribly unfair. We are all guilty of approaching a new subject by seeing it through some past teaching, understanding, or point of view. If hers is her tantric training, why would it be right for someone else to say that it has nothing to do with it?
I wouldn't say she's wrong, exactly, since the 'connection' is one of tango's charms. But it's a fairly naive view of the tango connection,....
She mentioned very early in the vid about the feeling, intricacies, and connection of the tango being rooted within one's self first, and passed on to the partner [in order to recreate a unified connection to the tango within the partnership]. How is this even remotely naive?
But all of the exquisite dancers I know don't talk about dance in those terms.
And, because you haven't heard it makes it any less profound or correct? I recently heard a student say in a class taken from a world class coach, "I've been dancing for 10 years, and never heard this information before. How do I know he's right?" Doesn't that seem like a ridiculous statement to you?
Different people like different things. If she's tall enough, I'd like to dance with her.
Bravo! Whether she is right or wrong, all this video shows me is that she is a 'new' dancer who is willing, if not totaly able, to look past the rote steps of giros and ganchos, to know that tango has a deeper meaning, and try to assimilate the tango into her life for what it is, which is (fill in your own blank knowing that it could be different than someone else's) .

Dance Ads