Tango Vals (AT vs BR)

Peaches

Heh. Luis was my first teacher, so I'm biased there. And I hate the second vals song, so I'm biased there.

That said, my preference is still for the first, although that isn't my favorite performance of Luis & Daniella. And I will say that I was pleasantly surprised by the second video. All things considered, not bad.

Subliminal

Hmm. Kinda in the same boat. Not my favorite performance by L&D, but that's one of the best performances I've seen of V&F. :) I thought the barridas in the end were particularly cute.

Here are a couple of my favorite Vals performances:

Ariadne and Fernando (love watching these two)

And an oldy but goody, Julio Balmaceda and Corina de la Rosa.

That's all I have time for now, but I'm sure I've got some other good ones in my favorites.

opendoor

Folks, didnt we scrap the term Tango Vals?

Hi Shaka, neither of them and I think it got to do with the word you chose for that style of dancing (and the concept behind it you´ve got in mind). I like fancy stuff and flashy moves, but for me vals argentino does not need such things. For me all posted performances are a tiny little bit overdone. I would call that Tango Escenario done in 3/4 time. Though I´m regularly punished here for my insistent digging out of Ney Melo vids, here is one again, and I think it is an example for a well done balance of playfulness, elegance, traditional dance flow, subtle interpretation of the music, but showing firmly the characteristics of this specific dance. And it shows the minimum of BR attitude compared to the afore posted examples. And it is the only one that was compatible with a fairly filled milonga situation. Anyway, I try to dance this way in a milonga. And the possibility of dancing this way is the main distinguishing mark to BR related vals styles for me. Vals argentino is a dance of its own, own history, own styling, own musicality.

youtube.com/watch?v=Cuqn6bPQZ9I

bordertangoman

@ Opendoor; I think that the Ney and Eugenia are decidely underdone for a vals. Shaka's example of daniela and Luis has a beautifully lyrical body movement which is how i like to move to vals. Vincent and Flavia is Escenario but its one of their best Strictly performances

Peaches

You might have scrapped the term vals, but I'm pretty sure you're alone in your own little terminology world. Most everyone can figure out what "vals" or "tango vals" is.

If the performers are...uh...performing they don't have to make it compatible with a crowded milonga! For the love of pete, why is that such a hard concept? It is their chance to show off, and do what they don't normally get to do while dancing. Sheesh, yip, whine.

FTR, Sub nailed it with my all-time favorite vals performance. LOVE that dance.

bordertangoman

That's my favourite vals

[YT]JaGaVcMZD1A[/YT]
NOW that's how a waltz should be danced.with maximum cadenzia*

*TM and note to self, that would make agood teaching monikker..
"Please welcome from Argentina the fantastic milonguero
Max Cadenzia and his partner...Sincia Copata

UKDancer

here's how we do vals at our local milonga
In some quarters there is a real love of what we currently call "Classical Sequence" dancing, and the Waltz and Mazurka are both well represented in the repertoire. They are charming, and very satisfying to dance, particularly if you can do them half-decently. They are very much the contemporaries of early tango, and as early vals WAS danced largely in the Viennese style, but to music by tango orchestras, not at all out of place in a milonga, either methinks.

And it shows the minimum of BR attitude compared to the afore posted examples. And it is the only one that was compatible with a fairly filled milonga situation. Anyway, I try to dance this way in a milonga. And the possibility of dancing this way is the main distinguishing mark to BR related vals styles for me. Vals argentino is a dance of its own, own history, own styling, own musicality.
It is quite possible to dance like Vincent & Flavia, even in crowded milongas. That's my way of dancing and I have no problem with extreme moves that take lot of volume. With others dancing traditionnal vals (or tango or milonga) close to the border, it is very easy to predict where and when they will move. I however tend to avoid jumps.

Peaches

Perhaps for you it's not a problem. Ask the other people what they think about you dancing like that in a crowded milonga. I'd be willing to bet their take on the situation would be significantly different. Just sayin'.

Perhaps for you it's not a problem. Ask the other people what they think about you dancing like that in a crowded milonga. I'd be willing to bet their take on the situation would be significantly different. Just sayin'.
No problem for them too. No collision, no problem. You don't take this path? Ok I'll take it. That works just fine.

AndaBien

No problem for them too. No collision, no problem. You don't take this path? Ok I'll take it. That works just fine.
No, it doesn't work just fine. I see leaders taking up more than their fair share of floor space and saying that they didn't bump into anyone. Well, that's because all the other leaders were avoiding collisions, at the expense of being distracted from their own partner and dance.

No, it doesn't work just fine. I see leaders taking up more than their fair share of floor space and saying that they didn't bump into anyone. Well, that's because all the other leaders were avoiding collisions, at the expense of being distracted from their own partner and dance.
Well, that may be true. However, you can't expect everyone to take care of everyone. Ones have to take priority and make decision fastly, otherwise everyone loses opportunities. As in real life.

However, you can't expect everyone to take care of everyone.
Well, that's exactly what you are expected to do in a good milonga. If you try to do "extreme moves that take lot of volume" in my local milonga, the organizer will have a quiet word with you, and if you don't heed the warning you will be given your money back and asked not to come again.

AndaBien

...However, you can't expect everyone to take care of everyone...
Actually, I do. I expect every leader be be considerate and respectful of all the other couples in his/her vicinity on the dance floor, and to not unduly interfere with those other leaders who are doing the same thing.

Dance Ads