Teaching Ballroom on a Cruise Ship?

On a Seabourn cruise, they had a couple dancers who taught latin and performed at night too (not every night). So if you're a young dance couple/partner and would like to travel, you can do it together on a cruise ship. I'm sure you will get paid reasonably as they asked you to do other duties like checking passengers going on excursions. It sounds fantastic to me..

suburbaknght

I'm sure you will get paid reasonably as they asked you to do other duties like checking passengers going on excursions. It sounds fantastic to me..
It depends on how you're booked. Celebrity Cruise Lines only books professional dancers who are hired as employees - the teach the typical group classes and do performances but one can also purchase private lessons with them on board. They are booked through Elaine Avon Artiste & Management and, as I understand it, are paid for their time and efforts. At the same time, they because they're cruise line employees they don't get to enjoy the trip the same way passengers do. The program that we were in we actually pay the booking agency, but whenever we weren't teaching we were regular passengers and got to enjoy all the amenities of the ship.

TomTango

I teach Argentine tango, but have little knowledge of ballroom dances. Is ballroom knowledge required for cruise ship teaching?

Well, I once took a cruise ship lesson from a guy who wasn't sure if waltz rotated clockwise or CCW. (Although I admit he was not the regular waltz instructor.) But it really didn't matter because the steps he "taught" didn't move anyway!

Hedwaite

This is a sensitive question for many- but I have to ask it. I was reading the basic how-tos of cruise-ship teaching on an older website many years ago, and they put an emphasis on being young and attractive. I understand, but I was wondering if "they let my kind in"? Older, rounder, but experienced and able to teach and entertain somewhat with no vices? Also, since others mentioned that males were in more demand, I wonder if something could be arranged so that the male taught, but I could pay to accompany, since I, too, want 24/7 buffets and exotic shopping? Also, if you're asked to perform, what kind of performance is it? A typical ballroom routine as seen at showcase, or something different? I'm glad this thread got resurrected.

danceronice

This is a sensitive question for many- but I have to ask it. I was reading the basic how-tos of cruise-ship teaching on an older website many years ago, and they put an emphasis on being young and attractive. I understand, but I was wondering if "they let my kind in"? Older, rounder, but experienced and able to teach and entertain somewhat with no vices? Also, since others mentioned that males were in more demand, I wonder if something could be arranged so that the male taught, but I could pay to accompany, since I, too, want 24/7 buffets and exotic shopping? Also, if you're asked to perform, what kind of performance is it? A typical ballroom routine as seen at showcase, or something different? I'm glad this thread got resurrected.
Well, there were two groups of "hired" dancers on the Cunard cruise I went on: the instructors and show dancers, who were typical pro dancers: younger, fit, competition record, able to put on a show dance (the ballroom couple did pretty straightforward Open-level showcase dancing, the theatrical dancers were in the shows in the theater and didn't mingle with the social dancing) and able to responsibly teach group and private lessons (the couple who taught and did the ballroom showcases charged a little less than the on-shore going rate for privates.) The dance hosts were gentlemen of a certain age who were not being paid by the line but got free travel in exchange for dancing every night, making sure unpartnered ladies had time on the floor, helping with things like group/mixer dances, and during the day mingling with the guests and participating in things like pub trivia and tour groups.

To be honest, I can't see any line needing or wanting female dance hosts as there just aren't that many unaccompanied men who want to dance, compared to female passengers, and for the teaching jobs, you're competing against a lot of young pros who can teach and still look like they're in competitive shape.

I'm curious, if you are aboard for teaching purposes, and you are swapping your services for cruise fare, do you make any money at all? Tips? Offering privates? Anything?

anntennis

since I, too, want 24/7 buffets and exotic shopping? .
In terms of shopping and 24/7 buffet food, you can get extremely inexpensive deal as low as $500 for 7 days on last minute (2 months in advance) for most cruises. The are some exceptions, but Celebrity, MSC, etc you can buy cruise for 80% off with good planning. Search for http://www.vacationstogo.com, http://www.affordabletours.com/
I used http://www.affordabletours.com/ for other vacations as Trafalgar bus tours in Europe and they were first class very organized tours for a very reasonable price.

dancelvr

I'm curious, if you are aboard for teaching purposes, and you are swapping your services for cruise fare, do you make any money at all? Tips? Offering privates? Anything?
I went on a dance cruise. As far as I know, the dance hosts were trading their time for a free cruise. They were still financially responsible for getting to the departure point, and any other extra expenses like on board purchases and excursions and such.

They were also a completely separate group from the instructors on board. The instructors did not dance socially. And, if you wanted a private lesson, you took one from a teacher, not a host.

danceronice

AFAIK, no. You get a berth and food but you were responsible for anything a passenger would have been, and frankly none were qualified to be offering privates. The teachers didn't social-dance, the hosts didn't teach. Tips, afaik, were at the discretion of the passengers. I put in a White Star Service commendation for our dance hosts because they made the whole trip a lot more fun for solo passengers like me.

raindance

Many times you can find what an abbreviation means by googling it (though not likely to be helpful for forum-specific terms).

AFAIK is short for "as far as I know".

Hedwaite

I do go on scavenger hunts with google for a lot of things since my Ovaltine decoder ring broke, but there are just too many abbreviations for everything to keep up with. I speak and type "Lazy English", lol.

JANATHOME

Was a really interesting post, thanks!!

I can still remember when we went on the Queen Mary cruise. They have a full size ballroom and dance hosts. These hosts did not give lessons, the dance crew did the lessons. I was with my husband and interesting, the host would have to ask permission from my husband first before they could ask me to dance... We had lunch with a few of the gents and they told us that it was a rule that was strictly enforced!
But same as this post, they really enjoyed being hosts.

suburbaknght

"Young and attractive" wasn't something I saw in my applications. I flatter myself if I say it applied to me, but it was never raised as an issue. I've heard of older teachers working gigs like this. For both Sixth Star and To Sea With Z they ask for male-female duos; you are required to apply with an opposite-sex dance/teaching partner.

We did not make any money. We are specifically prohibited from accepting tips or selling private lessons. Erring on the side of, "don't screw up this gig," I even turned down offers to buy my drinks.

Joe

"Young and attractive" wasn't something I saw in my applications. I flatter myself if I say it applied to me, but it was never raised as an issue.
Were you required to sit for an in-person interview, or required to submit a photo with your applications?

Dance Ads