The Electric Slide

I learned a little bit of the Electric Slide from a friend during my diving season freshman year; just basics, really. I probably couldn't do it very well, in an actual line, but, as far as I'm concerned on it: Electric Slide + "I Will Survive" = I'm there! 8) Silly, yeah, but hey, I think it works! :roll: :wink:

Sakura Kitty :kitty:

(PS- Welcome to Wes and Grandmaster Slice! Belated, I know, but I just found the topic. Have fun here on DF!)

d nice said:
dancersdreamland said:
I prefer the "funk" music to the actual "country" version and LOVE adding turns, floor slaps, and floor kneels.
I thought the funk version from the 80's was the original version of the dance. Shows you what I know, I guess.
Actually - the dance was created in 1976 when the song first came out - check out http://ric06379.tripod.com for the original choreography and a new video showing the way it was originally performed. In two lines facing each other - the dance has been taught incorrectly for many years now and we are trying to get it corrected

Vince A

Wes said:
The Electric Slide is old! ...you should go line dancing now and see the new stuff!

Wes!
xxx

ps. Are there any other line dancers on this board??? - Just curious! :D
Um-m-m-m-m-m, I hate to admit it, but I enjoy line dancing, and I just discovered that they do line-dance aerobics along with kick-boxing aerobics at my gym . . . something new to do with all my spare time!!!

dancersdreamland said:
pygmalion said:
Floor kneels? I gotta get a visual on this! Where do the floor kneels fit in? Gotta try it.
Let's see...where to put the floor kneels in:

Electric Slide (without addins)
Counts 1-4: Grapevine right with touch
Counts 5-8: Grapevine left with touch
Counts 1-4: Backstep R-L-R with touch
Counts 5-8: Rock forward onto left, touch right, Rock back onto right, touch left
Final counts: Step left with 1/4 turn left and scuff right

Electric Slide (with addins)
Counts 1-4: Grapevine right with touch (can do full turn right while traveling right in place of the grapevine)
Counts 5-8: Grapevine left with touch (can do full turn left while traveling left in place of the grapevine)
Counts 1-4: Backstep R-L-R with touch (can do full turn while traveling backwards in place of backsteps)
Counts 5-8: Rocks (can do floor kneel following are the counts)
Final counts: Step left with 1/4 turn left and scuff right

Counts for Floor Kneels
Count 5: Step forward left
Count 6: Kneel down on right knee while keeping left foot firmly planted so your left leg is making a 90 degree angle
Count 7: Lean back on right heel and kick left foot out placing your heel on the floor. At this point, your left leg should be slanted to the floor with all your weight on your right.
Count 8: Bring left leg back in while transferring your weight onto left foot.
Final counts: While turning 1/4 turn left, stand back up and start the dance over again with a right grapevine.

For other line dance step sheets, check out http://www.kickit.to/ld/Main.php3.
This choreography is incorrect - check http://ric06379.tripod.com for the correct choreography and a video of how the dance was supposed to look

I've done the boxing which is more fun than the multiple lines all facing the same direction, but I like reversing it, so that I square off with a dancer. That way when it comes to the touches one person kneels and other leans over them as they rock back and forth.

Not surprising I thought it was from the early 80's I was born in 1973 and didn't learn it until '79 or so.

Vince A

Care and I do it as a couple . . . beginning in the "promenade" position, with multiple turns and spins as the four walls change . . . it can get very challenging . . .

I also like to dance it opposite of the person in front of me, sort of my back to the wall they are facing . . . I go left as they go right, and so on!

Is that the box you're referring to???

No that is the reverse I was talking about. The box is both people doing the same steps while facing each other so they are essentially "circling" each other.

Vince A

d nice said:
No that is the reverse I was talking about. The box is both people doing the same steps while facing each other so they are essentially "circling" each other.
Gotcha . . . haven't tried that . . . :idea:

NYCsDancer said:
Actually - the dance was created in 1976 when the song first came out - check out http://ric06379.tripod.com for the original choreography and a new video showing the way it was originally performed. In two lines facing each other - the dance has been taught incorrectly for many years now and we are trying to get it corrected
Hi Ric

Just curious to hear what method you used to prove that you choreographed this dance as I believe from various sites that you were taking out a suit against people who had the incorrect choreography so assuming that you therefore had some way of proving that you wrote this dance!

Can I also ask what your copyright of the dance means as I see from various messages by you and on your website that it was danced in films and that as you hadn't given permission then that wasn't allowed, so I am assuming from that then that no one can do the dance even if danced as you originally choreographed, or is it just that no one can dance it incorrectly.

Best wishes

Miss Evergreen

P.S. Wes - If you still read this forum, just thought I'd say "hi", and of course you know that I'm a linedancer :lol:

pygmalion said:
It's a pretty non-challenging dance, and virtually anybody can do it. I think that's why it was so popular (less so now).
I have boxes full of ribbons from heavily contested dancesport events.

I still can't do the electric slide.

Chris Stratton said:
pygmalion said:
It's a pretty non-challenging dance, and virtually anybody can do it. I think that's why it was so popular (less so now).
I have boxes full of ribbons from heavily contested dancesport events.

I still can't do the electric slide.
Why not?

DId you try?

Purr

I used to feel frustrated when I'd go out to clubs, and see otherwise nondescript dancers (even those who barely freestyle) do the electric slide, and I couldn't. I just couldn't grasp how the dance travelled.

I (finally!) learned about a year ago from my teacher how do do the electric slide, as well as the cha cha slide and boot, scoot & boogie. For laughs, I even had him teach me the cowboy cha cha & the Texas two-step. Now all I need to do is to find a nice C&W bar. :wink:

pygmalion

Don't forget the red leather boots! :wink: :D Nothing like Texas two-step when you're wearing dance shoes and he's wearing (invariably huge :shock: :lol: ) boots. You simply must get yourself some boots, to even the playing field. :lol: :lol:

Purr

Red leather boots sound like a great idea! :D

Sometimes I wish my ballroom shoes offered more protection to my feet. We're having a major problem with line of dance at my studio, and with a crowded dance floor, I've gotten clobbered a couple of times. I've still got a blood blister under the toenail of one of my toes.

Maybe someone should come up with a steel-toed practice shoe. 8)

Sagitta

Well, my ballroom dance shoes are butchered/ripped in the front. Too many people stepping on them! :( I need steel plated fronts for protection!!

DWise1

Heard this a few months ago on an old Burns & Allen radio show (quoted from memory):
Gracie: George used to be a dancing fool. He wouldn't stop dancing until he had worn out two pairs of shoes -- the bottoms of his and the tops of mine!

Dance Ads