The Gas Crunch Has Begun

Yes, the good ol' days where it only took $9 to fill up my tank! :bandit:
Well, depending on what metric you use, $9 back then is about what some of us pay now. From measuringworth . com:

Current data is only available till 2007. In 2007, $9.00 from 1975 is worth:
$34.66 using the Consumer Price Index
$28.34 using the GDP deflator
$41.21 using the value of consumer bundle *
$33.80 using the unskilled wage *
$54.37 using the nominal GDP per capita
$76.04 using the relative share of GDP

tj

OK, yet another stupid question. (No, I don't really ever run out of the stupid ones. Smart questions, yes, I run out of. But not the stupid ones.)

What, exactly, is locking on a locking gas cap? I know for my car, the little flap thingy has to be released from inside the car. Is that an actual latching mechanism, or can it be pried open with the right leverage?
The flap thingy on my car isn't locked. So it goes in place of the actual cap for the tank. What appears to happen is that when I lock it, twisting the cap to the left doesn't cause it to unthread. It just turns with nothing happening.

So yes, it's probably defeatable, up to and including punching a hole in the side of the car like wooh mentioned. I'm mostly hoping that a thief will look and see the lock, and decide to try the car next to mine.

Oh yeah, and why can't you put the key to the gas cap on your key ring?
:oops: Well color me obvious. I was thinking at the time that I only got one key with the lock, but I've got two. This way I can put one on both my key rings.

Joe

The key in the lock probably engages something that lets you turn the cap CCW, like engaging the mechanism on a "child-proof" container cap.

Me

Like R.O.U.S.'s, I don't believe they exist.
Rodents of Unsual Size... Peaches we need to get together over drinks someday. I catch too TOO many of these references you make! It would be funny to see if we could have a conversation and nobody else have a clue what we're talking about!

Me

Pondered getting locking gas caps, then saw that around here, people with locking gas caps were getting a hole punched in their gas tank to get the gas that way. So figured I'd make it "easy" for the thieves since it's a lot easier to refill the gas tank than to refill the gas tank AFTER replacing the gas tank.:(
Sounds about right. During Katrina when people were stealing gas in my town, they were drilling tanks when there was a lock or an anti-siphoning feature.

QPO

well we bought a smaller car and I think the world will end up like Europe where 90% of cars on the road are small. For day to day errands its the only way to go. Public transport our way is pretty awful, but they are working on it.

That's what everyone said in the 70's during the Arab Oil Embargo, and it didn't take. I don't have much hope for it being a permanent change this time around either, to tell you the truth. Although I've always had small fuel-efficient cars myself.

QPO

You are always going to get people who will never move to the smaller vehicle, but it may be the hip pocket that will push them over the edge!

That's what everyone said in the 70's during the Arab Oil Embargo, and it didn't take. I don't have much hope for it being a permanent change this time around either, to tell you the truth. Although I've always had small fuel-efficient cars myself.

Filled up my car a couple of days ago. I drive a 4WD.....costed me $90
University undergraduate student with a 4WD and a competitive ballroom dancer is financial suicide.

It's probably going to stick this time, because the worldwide increase in prices are not due to an 'event' (like war or artificially reduced production). Rather, this time it is due to the approach of peak oil . The change will be gradual (and prolonged), but its starting to happen. If you haven't really planned on it, start budgeting for a 100% (or more) increase in gas prices within the next 2-3 years.

Of course, this is *my* analysis/opinion, so feel free to disagree :)

That's what everyone said in the 70's during the Arab Oil Embargo, and it didn't take. I don't have much hope for it being a permanent change this time around either, to tell you the truth.
I think it may very well be different this time. An embargo is a strategic move by people, and it can end as easily as it can begin. What we are seeing now is more a result of the rest of the world catching up towards US levels of consumption. Sure, there's various issues on top of that, but there are real causes too. I could see prices dropping somewhat, but not back to what they were. And the automakers seem to agree, having given up on building and selling lots of SUVs/pickups as a profitability strategy, in a non-temporary way.

Dance Ads