The Sound of Music

Steve Pastor

Staff member
Carrie Underwood will be starring in a "live" production of "The Sound of Music" to be breoadcast December 5. I saw her in costume in a preview show last night, and she really looks the part to me. And one of the songs she sang... what a voice.

The morning I watch a bit of the Macey's T day parade show, and two other people from the show did "Sixteen Going on Seventeen." I sang along...

I am sixty, going on sixty-three...

Anyone else have a take on the lyrics in honor of this new production and within the DF Guidelines?

dancelvr

Carrie Underwood will be starring in a "live" production of "The Sound of Music" to be breoadcast December 5. I saw her in costume in a preview show last night, and she really looks the part to me. And one of the songs she sang... what a voice.

The morning I watch a bit of the Macey's T day parade show, and two other people from the show did "Sixteen Going on Seventeen." I sang along...

I am sixty, going on sixty-three...

Anyone else have a take on the lyrics in honor of this new production and within the DF Guidelines?

Well, as I haven't heard the previews of the new production, I can't comment on that. However.....I'm not at all jazzed about hearing songs from the Sound of Music from anyone other than Julie Andrews. She IS the Sound of Music. But, that's just me.

Aura

I agree with dancelvr. I grew up with that musical and watched it so much that I eventually grew tired of it. Apparently, other people feel the same way. I read in my news feed that Underwood has been getting "hate tweets" from people and is understandably sick of it.

Steve Pastor

Staff member
Well, certainly didn't expect this to be about a musical being preserved on film to the exclusion of what it was initially - a Broadway musical.

I guess it's a good thing they didn't have film in Shakespeare's day.
And it's probably a good thing we didn't have twitter and the internet when all of those other production were staged.

dancelvr

Well, I certainly wouldn't send 'hate-tweets' to anyone. That is obnoxious and rude. I don't 'tweet' anyway. And, if people are enjoying the new production, that's great! I just have Julie Andrew's voice in my mind, and that's how I want to keep it. There is absolutely no harm in that.

I've heard remakes of songs and such, in which I adored the original production, but loathed the remake. When Madonna recorded American Pie, I threw up in my mouth a little. It was a crime against music. I like what I like.

And, for the record, I have nothing against Carrie Underwood. She's a cutie, and has a nice voice. Do I think it's on par with Julie Andrews? Well......

3wishes

I haven't viewed a "television" LIVE production in many years, I think the last one that was music based was Cinderella and I was a very little girl.
If anyone caught "the making of the Sound of Music" last week,,,alot of work and effort went into this live production.
Carrie Underwood explained that traditionally, her and her mom would watch this show/movie anytime they could - yearly.
This is a wonderful tribute, to not only her family tradition, but to the actual re-telling of the Von Trapp family story for a new generation.
If anyone can sing the Sound of Music,,,it's her. And I'm pretty sure Julie Andrews would approve.

Steve Pastor

Staff member
I could not tear myself away from my regular Thursday trip to the country western dance place, so I didn't watch it. I DID have a good time there.
But then, I was hoping that people would contribute clever alternative lyrics.

Looks like critics found Underwood's acting skills to be lacking.
It IS pretty incredible that no one has done a live performance live this for 50 years.

dancelvr

Well.....not really. It is, in fact, The Sound of Music. It would take some balls to remake this mind blowing classic. Some things are meant to be left alone. :)

Steve Pastor

Staff member
Thursday's three-hour spectacular "Sound of Music Live!" with country star Carrie Underwood as Maria sang for 18.6 million total viewers, according to Nielsen. That was a number that exceeded all expectations and gave NBC its most-watched night of entertainment programming in nearly seven years.

Similar TV musicals are almost surely on the way, agents and other industry experts agreed. In that sense, "Sound of Music" may revive live Broadway on network TV

http://www.latimes.com/entertainmen...vision-20131207,0,5938350.story#axzz2mup2YTgQ

Dance Ads