The top 5 reasons a woman wants to dance with a specific man

One possibility could be that what would be required would be more in the way of over-leading than just simplification.

Actually, one of the primary practical problems I've faced is trying to get followers to relax and stop trying to "fix" things - for example, someone being very comprehensively lead outside partner going to desperate measures to get that foot inside where it "belongs", or the reverse.

It can sometimes take experience to get dancing back to its walking roots.

Perhaps. But there is also this: people sometimes like to analogize dancing as a conversation between two people, where obviously the leader does most of the "talking." However, I also like to add that some followers need a leader who...let's just say has a very loud and clear voice.
When taken in conjunction with your earlier post, I can't help being reminded of the joke about a tourist complaining about the stupidity of the natives.

"...and they can't understand a word you say, no matter how loud you say it."

dchester

Staff member
A clear voice - absolutely. And I imagine every follower would much appreciate clear leads.

A loud voice - not necessarily. I think a good leader can get his partner to hear whispers.
IME, it does seem like some followers have a lot better hearing than others. With the really special followers, it seems like I barely think about the next step, and they are on it (and never getting ahead of me either). With other followers (typically beginners) you often do need to provide more support and use more force, and they usually are appreciative that you can accommodate them. Either case is a win.

The trick is with a few of the followers who hear something, but not what you are trying to say. That's when leaders go nuts trying to figure out how to make it clear. It's like, I can lead this clearly to a beginner or advanced dancer, but why can't I make it clear for this intermediate dancer?

;)

When taken in conjunction with your earlier post, I can't help being reminded of the joke about a tourist complaining about the stupidity of the natives.

"...and they can't understand a word you say, no matter how loud you say it."
Yes, but what you have forgotten is that Joe is probably dancing in a situation where he is the native.

But I rather think that he is a tourist here. Judging from his other
contributions in the past he is a native of the ballroom world not AT.
Only he can tell us to be sure.
I don't think he was talking about AT, but about partner dancing in general.

As many have pointed out, its not about the steps, or the hold, or whatever... its about communication between two bodies.

And Joe has even received an endorsement in that from an AT follower.

Does it really matter that they were doing a different dance at the time?

Oh you mean that Joe was perhaps doing the Waltz and his partner
maybe the Quickstep?
We both know that is not what was meant, so I had not intended to dignify it with a reply.

However, in a backhanded way its a useful example for one of the discussed problems. Since both dances will often start with the same movement differening markedly in character, if the leader is inconsistent with himself or the follower prefers jumping to conclusions over listening to her partner's body, its an easy confusion to make when music is absent or irrelevant.

JohnEm

I don't think he was talking about AT, but about partner dancing in general.

And Joe has even received an endorsement in that from an AT follower.

Does it really matter that they were doing a different dance at the time?
Well as an escapee from many different dances so have a basis of comparison,
yes it does. It even depends on what form of AT you do too.

The dance varies, the hold and lead varies and the connection differs markedly.
The so-called endorsement is valueless as it stands.

In fact I didn't believe you could be serious so you got a non-serious reply.
It's Friday, end of the week, weekend of tango - lighten up!

Yes, but what you have forgotten is that Joe is probably dancing in a situation where he is the native.
No I haven't and no he isn't. Try to remember what the thread is about.

And no amount of your prepositional phrase flooded sentences is going to change that. No matter how much over-analysis you are no doubt working yourself up to.

Zoopsia59

Anyone else feeling the irony that a thread about men being more gentlemanly is becoming more and more "testosterone laden"?

I'm jus sayin'.... ;)

Dance Ads