The Yulia thread

They did not use this jive at USDC, I'm pretty sure I would have remembered those awful tricks. I miss their old style of dancing and Yulia's old style of dresses.

Yeah, agree not so keen on some of the tricks. Guess there is a need to change to win.
You are probably right, but I don't like the way it is leading International Latin more towards athleticism than artistry. Both of the top couples are more about speed and athleticism than character and artistry.

They did not use this jive at USDC, I'm pretty sure I would have remembered those awful tricks. I miss their old style of dancing and Yulia's old style of dresses.
This is not true...I saw this from first Riccardo and Yulia Cha Cha on Friday night at USDSC, this first thing I said was "new choreography," basically 20 seconds into first Cha Cha...I saw the same new choreography close to ten times throughout the weekend...Cha Cha is heavily reworked, I think samba, rumba and paso less, Jive is new in parts, the open is the same, yes those weird tricks-new , cross hands common to almost all pro jives, there is another funny piece that they added to a segment of the Samba, overall speaking of the choreography only Cha Cha is best (the new Cha Cha)...I think the new Jive is not an improvement, but Riccardo and Yulia always had simpler more amateur style Jive, to me it doesn't have the complexity, nuance, and cleverness of Slavik style Jive (post Karina)

hence the re-freshening of Riccardo and Yulia choreo is migrating away from the Ballas stuff and much of Slavik and Karina choero was Ballas (i.e. Shirley)

Sadly I too prefer to see R&Y with less tricks... if you're going to go down the M&J route, you've gotta do it as well if not better, and right now R&Y's new choreo is painting a very frantic picture. It looks messy and rushed (versus their peers of course).

I miss the quality they were able to show previously :cry: and I do feel that the Latin world was ready to see some more "traditional" dancing. I hope this doesn't give Sergey & Melia a knees-up versus R&Y.

ajiboyet

Most people don't like to see tricks...even the stuff that M&J pull off can't be compared to some of the things I see on WDSF videos...I hope this is a phase that they'll move through real quick.

Again, since when are lifts allowed?

I found their new cha cha routine to be bizarre in certain parts. Too many tricks for my taste, hence why I'm not a huge fan of M&J, although I appreciate and admire their talent. I do love R&Y's samba and the jive grew on me although I didn't like it at first. Have yet to see their new rumba and paso but overall, I would have to say I'm not a fan of the direction where they are going. Nothing wrong with evolving your style but not at the expense of the character of the dance. JMO.

Dance Ads