Tights or no tights?

Wannabee

I wear fishnets in all styles. I find that most women who wear them could probably go without. And most women who go without... probably shouldn't!
As one of those ladies who doesn't wear them but probably should... I'll just say that the main reason I don't wear them is that I prefer the smaller amount of jiggle on my upper thighs to having a muffin top jiggling around my mid-section from the waist of the tights or fish nets. Plus, I do my best to wear a lengthy-er dress so as to spare those around me the thigh jiggle, as much as possible. See, I'm really thinking of you, the spectator, when I make my no tights decisions. ;)

I doubt that the above scenario applies to most of the ladies who choose not to wear tights, but just wanted to point out that sometimes it's the lesser of 2 evils.

danceronice

As one of those ladies who doesn't wear them but probably should... I'll just say that the main reason I don't wear them is that I prefer the smaller amount of jiggle on my upper thighs to having a muffin top jiggling around my mid-section from the waist of the tights or fish nets.
Cut the waistband. Everyone does on fishnets at least. (I don't on heavy tights, but those are actually part of a unitard I wear under dresses without a bodysuit, so they come up past my waist.)

TinyDancer109

Cut the waistband. Everyone does on fishnets at least. (I don't on heavy tights, but those are actually part of a unitard I wear under dresses without a bodysuit, so they come up past my waist.)
ive heard this before.... so you cut through the entire band but leave it on, correct? your fishnets still stay up?

Larinda McRaven

Site Moderator
Staff member
You only cut through the band.. do NOT cut it off, and do NOT cut into the fishnet themselves, just a tiny little snip to release the waistband tension.

Wannabe, thank you so much for considering the spectators point of view... :) literally. Because most people forget that the spectators POV is sitting in a chair at butt level...

pygmalion

ROTFL! Getting a visual of "butt level." Oh! :shock: :lol: I think a lot of times, we women also forget how high a dress, however long, can fly when you spin. Long dress != safely covered up. Just sayin.

Wannabee

I'm naturally brown anyway, so at least my legs are still tan, even without tights. But I will consider the clipped waistband idea. Just asking for a friend :).... where would one buy fishnet dance tights, brand, etc?

TinyDancer109

I'm naturally brown anyway, so at least my legs are still tan, even without tights. But I will consider the clipped waistband idea. Just asking for a friend :).... where would one buy fishnet dance tights, brand, etc?
the capezio seamless fishnet tights 3000 are my favorite... they have a flat bottom so that the fishnets dont dig into the heel and ball of your foot (painful - at least to me).

if you are already brown, i would suggest getting the toffee color.

one place you can get them is danceshopper . com, but i know there are other sites that carry them.

Zhena

ROTFL! Getting a visual of "butt level." Oh! :shock: :lol: I think a lot of times, we women also forget how high a dress, however long, can fly when you spin. Long dress != safely covered up. Just sayin.
Last Saturday I was watching a video of a couple demonstrating a Hungarian dance that we're learning. (These videos are typically made at the end of a dance camp or workshop so the participants will have something to remind them of what they have learned ... I have never seen a written description of a traditional Hungarian dance.)

The woman was wearing black tights with a simple below-knee black gathered skirt. She was also wearing a short, straight, black petticoat/slip. As the turns got faster I noticed flashes of white ... the tucked-in hem of her white T-shirt. Yes, if you turn fast enough, your skirt will wrap around your waist ... which is why a short straight petticoat is part of a woman's traditional outfit. (Though I've also seen bike shorts, etc.)

It looks like I am one of the rare ones that do wear tights and socks over my tights when I dance. It feels soooo much more comfortable this way!

I have actually never seen my dance instructor without tights either but perhaps that is a geographical thing rather then a must wear or must not wear concept.

Larinda McRaven

Site Moderator
Staff member
I am not sure "tights" is the appropriate word here... but "fishnet tights for shows and competitions" is rather the point.

I agree lots of ladies wear regular tights or skinny pants nowadays with large socks or leg warmers, for teaching and practicing.

Dance Ads