Too much Grinding?

pygmalion

jon said:
I don't get the whole "adults must be fuddy-duddys because they don't like grinding" viewpoint. Granted a lot of adults are indeed fuddy-duddys, but look at it from a different perspective:

Blues dancing with a cooperative and enthusiastic partner involves at least as much physical contact as grinding, the difference being that you're in contact with your partner's front side the majority of the time.

Not to make disparaging comparisons, but mostly the front side of people is much more fun to be touching than the back. And there's the added element of extended eye contact to crank up the sensuality even more.

So while grinding sounds reasonably fun, you guys need to grow up and get to the really good stuff!
LOL! Nice perspective, jon. 8)

pygmalion

Oh yeah, and you can grind back to front or front to front. The latest fad seems to favor back to front, which I personally find a bit ... demeaning to the person in front, generally the girl. Changing positions seems a bit more ... egalitarian. But that's just me.

I grind side to side when I'm dancing with my girl buddies, if that's anything exciting! (Remember the bump? We were doing that last night when the blues band who warmed up for us was on! FUUUUN!)

DancePoet

Some of these "grinders" should see how some of us smooth and standard dancers have contact during Waltz, Foxtrot, Tango, V. Waltz, and Quick Step. They might be surprised, and who knows, they might even decide to graduate into the ranks of ballroom dancing. ;) :lol:

pygmalion

Re: maybe a younger perspective...

DaytonaGrindin said:
maybe a younger perspective... but my generation enjoys grindin, and we arent likely to let it go just 'cause our parents tell us to.... its partially just the rebellious nature of youth, but mostly because its a lot of fun. Some of this stuff reminds me of the do-as-i-say,not-as-i-do attitude we get as being young and dumb. You guys would have been grindin back then if ya could have or would have thought to do it... ya know ya want to now.....
LOL! Bet ya fifty bucks I'm old enough to be your mom. And I used grinding as a way to show my rebillious side when I was a teenager, too. :wink: :lol:

DancePoet said:
Some of these "grinders" should see how some of us smooth and standard dancers have contact during Waltz, Foxtrot, Tango, V. Waltz, and Quick Step. They might be surprised, and who knows, they might even decide to graduate into the ranks of ballroom dancing. ;) :lol:
u meant 'Ballroom Grinding' didn't u? tsk tsk

:lol:

DancePoet

Sabor said:
DancePoet said:
u meant 'Ballroom Grinding' didn't u? tsk tsk

:lol:
:shock: :wink: :lol: :lol: :lol:

I can see it now ... a new marketing effort by dance studios to encourage the younger folks.

Speaking of which, after last night's practice comp the studio I was at had a 7pm lesson for high school students where the featured dance was Salsa! What a crowd! Easily 25 to 30 youngsters, and almost an aqual number of guys and gals. Very impressive!

So for you grinder's out there, see if you can find a local studio with beginner group Salsa lessons. :D

dTas

adults being adults need to show "responsibility". so they have to draw the line somewhere to show that they care about their children and their behavior.

they even pass laws, no drinking until you're 21, no smoking until 18, no driving until you're 16, etc.

this is just a milder form of those restrictions. kids are still going to do it. you hear about kids underage drinking, about kids smoking, etc. but that doesn't mean that the "adults" approve of it. (in a general sense) and by no means does it imply that the "adults" will provide a means in which to do it.

how about underage drinking bars and public smoking arenas.

i'm just showing that as "responsible parents" and "administrators" (whom ever they might be), adults have the responsibility of "guarding" the young the best they can.

i'm pretty sure if the "freak dancing" was condoned and encouraged in the schools that the kids would find "the next level" in which to push the envelope. you gotta draw the line somewhere to make sure that a worse line isn't crossed.

:D

Just to add anothers views to this interesting and entertaining thread...

I never was interested in dancing OR girls until i was about 20.

And still then after... (now at 28 ) it wasnt till about 2 years ago i realised how powerfully amazing and enjoyable dancing (& grinding) can be!

I havent done "too much" grinding myself... but the times i have done...

ive found it very stimulating, exchanging energies with a woman is such an amazing thing...

i see guys who are only interested in sex, or whatever....
i dont think that has anything on the "energy" and play that 2 people can generate dancing together.

I just love to share energy with women now when the opportunity is presented .. its such an amazing feeling & nothing sexual has to come of it at all. or at least it doesnt have to lead to anything more.

I dont know mabe im just realising what it is to be a man? mabe i missed out on all that "teenage" grinding?

mabe the waltz is in fact one of the greatest most romantic activities for mature adults....

All i know is that either dancing by myself and merged with the music or with a partner and dancing sexy together.....

These energys are amazing! wonderfull! & i want more of them!

its great fun! :twisted:

LOL.

Richard said:
:D

I havent done "too much" grinding myself... but the times i have done...

ive found it very stimulating, exchanging energies with a woman is such an amazing thing...
I've only grinded a few times but I know exactly what you mean.

pygmalion said:
The latest fad seems to favor back to front, which I personally find a bit ... demeaning to the person in front, generally the girl.
My girlfriend felt the same way. We now switch between back to front and front to front when we dance. I personally don't care but she does.

cornutt

Sabor said:
Yet, in our day.. if u danced with a lady .. u had to marry her..
Ha! In my day, sex hadn't been invented yet. We procreated by cell division. However, there wasn't a lot of procreation going on because the women though we were all a bunch of math geeks: "Hey baby, you wanna go out back and do some division?" Just didn't work as a pickup line for some reason...

cornutt said:
Ha! In my day, sex hadn't been invented yet. We procreated by cell division. However, there wasn't a lot of procreation going on because the women thought we were all a bunch of math geeks: "Hey baby, you wanna go out back and do some division?" Just didn't work as a pickup line for some reason...
That's absolutely hilarious! :lol:

cornutt said:
Ha! In my day, sex hadn't been invented yet. We procreated by cell division. However, there wasn't a lot of procreation going on because the women though we were all a bunch of math geeks: "Hey baby, you wanna go out back and do some division?" Just didn't work as a pickup line for some reason...
:notworth: I bow to you. Thats one of the funniest things I've ever heard anyone say on this site...

Last night I was grinded for the first time "as adult". It was not my choice at all, but after reading all discussions here I just had to endure the dance - as a scientific experiment :lol:

(Last time it happened I was about 17 years old and the circumstances was different. It was really great :))

First of all I wonder about the reason why people grind?
How can you say there is nothing sexual about it. I mean - to me it seems to be a prephase before something else. Of course you don't have to go home with the guy/girl and you don't have to have any feelings of sexual attaction before you start - but it is quite sexual ....

I was very sure about the intentions of this guy - he didn't speak much Swedish at all but he gruffed and showed me exactly how to do to "satisfy" his needs. And there wasn't much I could do about it unless I wanted to leave the dancefloor. And I was so curious that I didn't do awant to leave. I "protected myself" whenever it was possible....

Next time I will not accept it unless it is:
- someone I like and feel mutual respect to/from
- someone who respect my signals (like keep away from this area)
- or my husband :LOL: (who don't have to respect any zones at all)

/luc

Twilight_Elena

cornutt said:
:uplaugh:

Twilight Elena

fascination

Site Moderator
Staff member
pygmalion said:
And just why would I know such a thing, Tasek? :lol: I would never bend the rules enough to find out. LOL. :wink:
geez I wish I was young again...I would have been a bit less obediant I think

pygmalion said:
And just why would I know such a thing, Tasek? :lol: I would never bend the rules enough to find out. LOL. :wink:

wasnt it breaking the rules that got us alot of our "newer" dance forms? :)

(by newer i mean starting in the late 80s)

dTas said:
adults being adults need to show "responsibility". so they have to draw the line somewhere to show that they care about their children and their behavior.

they even pass laws, no drinking until you're 21, no smoking until 18, no driving until you're 16, etc.

this is just a milder form of those restrictions. kids are still going to do it. you hear about kids underage drinking, about kids smoking, etc. but that doesn't mean that the "adults" approve of it. (in a general sense) and by no means does it imply that the "adults" will provide a means in which to do it.

how about underage drinking bars and public smoking arenas.

i'm just showing that as "responsible parents" and "administrators" (whom ever they might be), adults have the responsibility of "guarding" the young the best they can.

i'm pretty sure if the "freak dancing" was condoned and encouraged in the schools that the kids would find "the next level" in which to push the envelope. you gotta draw the line somewhere to make sure that a worse line isn't crossed.
i like knowing that dancing, whether 'freak' or not, that doesnt harm the body, and can even be lifting to the soul (i've never heard anyone depressed because they were dancing the night before) is put in the same boat as underage drinking and teenage smoking.

*scratches head* seems to me i was in that boat when i was 14 and 15... 'underage drinking' has killed some of my friends, and ruined their lives (drunk driving for the most part, but one of my friends drank so much, and so regularly, it disintegrated his liver) and the whole teenage smoking thing.. i've seen people go from being star athletes to being nothing more than a pile of mush (****, my fraternity brothers are kinda like that)

but I've never seen, out of the thousand kid that i've known, someone going from a "freak dancer" to anything more than a respectable human being... as i said, in fact, that dancing usually makes them feel better about themselves, and the closeness with another person, whether sexual in nature or not, gives people a sort of silent respectful bond..

some people may not see me as an adult yet, but i've been through enough, and have gone through enough changes to know that any sort of dance, from the native ghost dance, dance of the dead, to ballroom dancing, to a more modern style of breaking, to freak dancing, to even krumping (have you seen this? its way intense), are all forms of self expression, and good mediums to let out, or get in, energy.

so saying that dancing like this leads to the "next level" ... maybe it does, but who are you to say that the 'next level' of envelope pushing isnt going to be something decent? look at all the medical discoveries, or scientific discoveries- most of them came from people who were told that they would never do it.

and on that note, i need to continue to clean up my room. i can't stand it being this gross. (the semester just ended, and i finally have some time :D )

-j

Dance Ads