Travel Destinations and Memories !!!

Route 66!!!

Pygmalion, as perhaps implied by my avatar(!), much of Route 66 is near and dear and very familiar to me. I'll have to work on describing some of the "greatest hits" from the Mother Road, as the days of spring unfold before summer! I've had moments on Route 66 that surpass my entire life...

:cool:

Oh yeah and ...
Planning a one-to-two week car trip on Route 66 this summer. I live in DFW, but don't really care about where the trip begins or ends (meaning we can take a flight on one end or the other.)

Anybody out there done a car trip in this part of the country? How long should I allot? Which destinations are can't-miss? And ya know. Other questions.

etp777

yeah, had some really good (and really bad) times on our route 66 trips. a nd actually lived on the road for 7 years. so a lot of it was just finally normal part of everyday life and travel. that's why I have to actually give it some though

A Greatest Hit from Route 66: Blue Whale in Catoosa

On Route 66, there is the potential for a surprise around every corner. One of the "Greatest Hits" is the Blue Whale in Catoosa, by Tulsa, Oklahoma. It was built as an anniversary gift, long ago. Traveling on the Mother Road, the time travel is palpable: to an America from a bygone era...

image from www. lakedawgs. com / images / whale10.jpg

fascination

Site Moderator
Staff member
the family took route 66 for a good while on a trip out to santa fe...i thoroughly enjoyed it...the kids thought they had died and gone to hell...but I tend to like the desert so...it was all good in my mind

fascination

Site Moderator
Staff member
as for travel, i don't have alot of specific reccomendations, but I will say that 4 of the most delightful places i have ever been are; santa fe, montreal, st martin, and costa rica

wonderwoman

lol that thing is cute whatever it is

So I think I'll tentatively plan to go to NYC for Manhattan State, my best guy friend should be officially moved out there by then, so I'll have a place to crash. Get to visit him in NY and see a comp, good deal.

Blue Whale on Route 66

lol that thing is cute whatever it is

So I think I'll tentatively plan to go to NYC for Manhattan State, my best guy friend should be officially moved out there by then, so I'll have a place to crash. Get to visit him in NY and see a comp, good deal.
WW, notice the slide on the side of the Blue Whale. It used to be a swimming lake. Now it's one of the most beloved Route 66 icons...
:)

Wigwam Motel - Another Route 66 Icon !!!

Another simply precious Route 66 icon is the Wigwam Motel in the San Bernardino area of California. If you recall, in the animated movie Cars they had a Wigwam Motel there, too--Cars being centered around Route 66...

wonderwoman

lol nobody corrected me on 'manhattan state'.. i am pretty sure manhattan is not a state, i wanted to say im going to manhattan, and not going to maryland state due to money.

I'm remembering my time in Japan. If anyone is thinking it'll be "fun" to climb Mt. Fuji at night, in the cold rain, to see the sunrise from the top, I can assure you it's not. It is lovely coming down, though, when the sun is warm and you can actually see where you're going :)

Mt. Fuji

I'm remembering my time in Japan. If anyone is thinking it'll be "fun" to climb Mt. Fuji at night, in the cold rain, to see the sunrise from the top, I can assure you it's not. It is lovely coming down, though, when the sun is warm and you can actually see where you're going :)
Ireniecat, thanks for sharing those photos! There's nothing like an image to take you there. The moonscape is very cool!

:cool:

Yes, it was quite pretty on the way down. But I was so eager to get to the hot springs for a bath that I didn't quite take the time to appreciate it. The terrain was definitely not what I expected. It's so red. I thought this must be what it's like to be on Mars :)

Peaches

I haven't been a whole lot of places, but...

Ireland--In pretty much every town there's a local pub with live Irish music. I was kind of shocked to discover that the Irish actually listen to Irish music...it's not just a gimmicky "for tourists" sort of thing. Oh, sure, there's other stuff, too. But a local pub with local music...very cool.

Italy--Well, obviously, the Vatican. Even my mom, who has very strong anti-Catholic sentiments, was in awe. It's just some of the most beautiful art and history imaginable. Oh, sure, there are tourists everywhere...but it's still amazing. Another tourist thing, but well worth it IMO, are the various catacombs on the outskirts. I wish I could remember which ones I'd been too, but it's been too long. They are...other-worldly...and kind of disturbing.

It's also pretty cool to take a trip up through the Appennines and wander around some of the old hill cities.

Argentina--I didn't get to see all that much, unfortunately (I was always in lessons, or recovering from lessons.), but the cemetery is awesome. Yes, touristy...but still awesome. Don't eat chicken or seafood--for some reason they don't seem to know how to cook it. But the beef is amazing, as are the fruits and vegetables. There's a huge craft fair...somewhere...on Saturdays I believe, and another awesome open-air market on Sundays. Both are cool just for wandering around.

I haven't been a whole lot of places, but...

Ireland--In pretty much every town there's a local pub with live Irish music. I was kind of shocked to discover that the Irish actually listen to Irish music...it's not just a gimmicky "for tourists" sort of thing. Oh, sure, there's other stuff, too. But a local pub with local music...very cool.
A particularly gorgeous part of Ireland is in the southwest, the Dingle Peninsula. This is where they filmed the stunning 1970 romantic drama Ryan's Daughter (which starred Robert Mitchum).

from www . lehigh . edu / ~wwt1 /Dingle / 98walk / minard2.JPG

You can read more about this beautiful film at: http://www.ferdyonfilms.com/?p=517, regarded as having one of the best love scenes of all time...

Southeast Asia and China

Just came back yesterday from a cruise, we visited

Thailand
Singapore
Vietnam
Hong Kong
Taiwan
Japan
Shanghai
Beijing

Was a very good trip. Most of these places are good for shopping. The most expensive places were Taiwan and Japan. Everywhere else it was a shopper's heaven. My recommendation is to leave lots of space in your luggage for purchases. I was most surprised by Shanghai, China in that I didn't expect the place to be as modern as I imagined China to be. Security in all places are very tight, most especially, entrance to Japan and China. You have to pass thermoscanning before being allowed to disembark. I was very disappointed the weather did not cooperate when we were at the Great Wall of China, I've been looking forward to seeing that man-made wonder, it is definitely one place I would like to visit again, preferably in spring time.

To dcharmd1

dcharmd1: Sounds like a fantastic trip that you had. I have traveled to Asia a couple of times, but did not cover anywhere near the area that you did! Thanks for sharing!

Just came back yesterday from a cruise, we visited

Thailand
Singapore
Vietnam
Hong Kong
Taiwan
Japan
Shanghai
Beijing

Was a very good trip. Most of these places are good for shopping. The most expensive places were Taiwan and Japan. Everywhere else it was a shopper's heaven. My recommendation is to leave lots of space in your luggage for purchases. I was most surprised by Shanghai, China in that I didn't expect the place to be as modern as I imagined China to be. Security in all places are very tight, most especially, entrance to Japan and China. You have to pass thermoscanning before being allowed to disembark. I was very disappointed the weather did not cooperate when we were at the Great Wall of China, I've been looking forward to seeing that man-made wonder, it is definitely one place I would like to visit again, preferably in spring time.

Dance Ads