Triple Two Step Dance Music Choices?

I put together a CD with music for Country Two Step. It has songs like The First Step - Tracy Byrd, and Past the Point of Rescue - Hal Ketchum, that we like a lot. However, the tempo of the selection ranges from about 150 to 200 bpm. While this probably works for the Quick, Quick, Slow, Slow Two Step, we are finding them too fast for the Triple Two Step (Double Two, 6 Step) that we learned in classes. The Triple Two needs 8 steps compared to 4 with the Country Two. I gather the Triple is more suited to songs in the 100-130 or so range. Was planning on putting another CD together for practice and am looking for some input on what to include. We do not stay real up to date with what may be popular for country music. Here is my first cut of choices. Any other suggestions, or ones to drop? Looking for popular and danceable with a consistent easy to hear beat.

This One's Gonna Hurt You - Marty Stuart
Wrapped - George Strait
Living in Fast Forward - Kenny Chesney
Somebody Like You - Keith Urban
Pretty Good at Drinking Beer - Billy Currington
As Good as I Once Was - Toby Keith
Cowgirls Don't Cry - Brooks & Dunn
Good Direction - Billy Currington
Stars on the Water - Geoge Strait
Goodbye Earl - Dixie Chicks
Walk on By - Charlie Pride
Prop Me Up Beside the Jukebox - Joe Diffie
I'm From the Country - Tracy Byrd
Kick my knat - Big & Rich
If Bubba Can Dance - Shenandoah

Steve Pastor

Staff member
We do not stay real up to date with what may be popular for country music.
I think that's not a bad thing based on what's being played up here! I'm lloking forward to my next trips to Vegas so I can visit Stoney's again, and enoyed the music at Cowboy Country in Long Beach, CA.

This is the best one you've got on this list for Triple Two, but I can't even conjure up some of the ones you've got.
Prop Me Up Beside the Jukebox - Joe Diffie

I'll try to keep your question in mind.

Is this the forward, forward, side together, side together variation?
This does not seem to describe what we learned. It is forward chasse with each foot, followed by a walk step with each foot, or triple step, triple step, walk, walk. The Joe Baker (2004) YouTube video pretty much describes exactly what we learned. I can't post a link, but if you Google "How to Dance Triple Two Step" you will find it.

Spitfire

This does not seem to describe what we learned. It is forward chasse with each foot, followed by a walk step with each foot, or triple step, triple step, walk, walk. The Joe Baker (2004) YouTube video pretty much describes exactly what we learned. I can't post a link, but if you Google "How to Dance Triple Two Step" you will find it.
Just watched it. I am not familiar with that variation. The one that I describe is common here and is often referred to as Rhythm 2 Step. Like Foxtrot, but the side together is done twice; to the left and again to the right for the leader.

kayak

Here is a video of the style I learned. I actually prefer the slightly outdated style that uses a defined chasse's for the triples instead of always passing the feet. The newer style seems to miss that clear distinction between steps, but that is probably a trend in most dances right now.

When there is a big dance floor, Triple Two is a really fun dance with all those looping figures.

Last edited by a moderator:
Here is a video of the style I learned. I actually prefer the slightly outdated style that uses a defined chasse's for the triples instead of always passing the feet. The newer style seems to miss that clear distinction between steps, but that is probably a trend in most dances right now. When there is a big dance floor, Triple Two is a really fun dance with all those looping figures.
Thanks for the link. Yes, we learned the chasse with a close step rather than a passing. We were also taught to extend the start and finish step of the chasse to enhance the distinction. Using a passing step for the close probably makes it harder to get the chasse done in two beats. If you can do it, it may make the overall movement smoother, but also can as you say, make it all look the same.

Dance Ads