~~Upgrading Dance Forums to New Software~~

pygmalion said:
I think that means they're on your buddy list. Please don't ask me how the buddy list works. :lol: I have no idea. I'm not sure how you subscribe to threads, either. But I'm subscribed to at least a dozen. :oops: :lol:
At least for the subscription... It means that you will be notified when someone posts something to a thread you are interested in. Through UserCP, Edit Options...you have the option to be automatically subscribed to a thread when you post to it (or not), to request an immediate email sent to you when someone posts (or on a daily/weekly basis).

If you choose not to subscribe automatically, you can subscribe/unsubscribe once you're on a thread using the thread tools option on the menu above it.

I guess you are probably set up be subscribed automatically when you post.
HTH :)

pygmalion

itorres said:
At least for the subscription... It means that you will be notified when someone posts something to a thread you are interested in. Through UserCP, Edit Options...you have the option to be automatically subscribed to a thread when you post to it (or not), to request an immediate email sent to you when someone posts (or on a daily/weekly basis).

If you choose not to subscribe automatically, you can subscribe/unsubscribe once you're on a thread using the thread tools option on the menu above it.

I guess you are probably set up be subscribed automatically when you post.
HTH :)
That's what confuses me about the subscribed threads. I set my option NOT to receive notofications. Yet, if I go to my User CP, every so often, I'll get subscribed to a thread for reasons that I don't understand. These must be a quick-click option to subscribe that I'm inadvertantly clicking. :?

pygmalion said:
That's what confuses me about the subscribed threads. I set my option NOT to receive notofications. Yet, if I go to my User CP, every so often, I'll get subscribed to a thread for reasons that I don't understand. These must be a quick-click option to subscribe that I'm inadvertantly clicking. :?
Hmm...:eyebrow: I see there are options for "Do not subscribe", "No email notification", "Instant email notification"...
Do you have "No email notification" or "Do not subscribe"?

I think "No email notification" is likely still subscribing but without getting the email. However, the threads will appear as subsrcibed to under UserCP, List Subscriptions.

Perhaps you want the "Do not subscribe" option...

pygmalion

itorres said:
Hmm...:eyebrow: I see there are options for "Do not subscribe", "No email notification", "Instant email notification"...
Do you have "No email notification" or "Do not subscribe"?

I think "No email notification" is likely still subscribing but without getting the email. However, the threads will appear as subsrcibed to under UserCP, List Subscriptions.

Perhaps you want the "Do not subscribe" option...
Yup. It looks like the default is to automatically subscribe you to threads if you reply to them. Rather strange -- as in what's the purpose of a subscription if you can independently turn off email notification? Eh. Whatever. I guess that'll become more clear later. Anybody know how to unsubscribe to existing subscribed threads? Not that it matters much. It's just kind of a pain. :lol:

pygmalion said:
Yup. It looks like the default is to automatically subscribe you to threads if you reply to them. Rather strange -- as in what's the purpose of a subscription if you can independently turn off email notification? Eh. Whatever. I guess that'll become more clear later.
You may want to be able to track topics of interest (your subscribed to threads) whenever you want to/have time, but don't want emails all the time. Options...
Anybody know how to unsubscribe to existing subscribed threads? Not that it matters much. It's just kind of a pain. :lol:
If they appear under "New Subscribed threads" when you go into UserCP there is an unsubscribe link under each thread. If they're not on this list (because there's nothing new since you last read it) there is an Unsubscribe link under "Thread Tools" drop-down menu when you're browsing the thread.

pygmalion

itorres said:
You may want to be able to track topics of interest (your subscribed to threads) whenever you want to/have time, but don't want emails all the time. Options...

Hmm. Makes sense. I keep forgetting that not everybody uses DF as I do -- I'm in here multiple times every day, and post in all the forums and in the majority of threads. So subscribing to a thread is kind of moot, for me. I guess, if you were an occasional DF user, subscribing could work well as a tracking tool. :cool:

If they appear under "New Subscribed threads" when you go into UserCP there is an unsubscribe link under each thread. If they're not on this list (because there's nothing new since you last read it) there is an Unsubscribe link under "Thread Tools" drop-down menu when you're browsing the thread.
Thanks. I'm currently subscribed to 173 threads. :lol: Time to delete something, I guess.

Public Groups?

In the user profiles, I see a notice that the user "is not a member of any public groups." I checked the FAQ and found no reference to "public groups." What's this about?

-IJ

SDsalsaguy

Administrator
Staff member
I'm with Jenn. Yes, a couple of nested quotes can, at times, be useful... but it is still possible to do, even if not convenient for those times. What is uncalled for and, to my mind, was all too common were 5+ nested quotes followd by a 1-2 word/emoticon response. I'll take this version anyday!

Katarzyna

SDsalsaguy said:
I'm with Jenn. Yes, a couple of nested quotes can, at times, be useful... but it is still possible to do, even if not convenient for those times. What is uncalled for and, to my mind, was all too common were 5+ nested quotes followd by a 1-2 word/emoticon response. I'll take this version anyday!
I agree that's bad, but sometimes it is good to be able to provide context for some of the posts...

pygmalion said:
To be honest, I hope not. A couple nested quotes are fine by me. Multiples are really hard for me to read. :cool:
What about limiting them, to say, 2 or 3 levels? I found that quite often the last quote does not make sense without previous quote.

pygmalion

tanya_the_dancer said:
What about limiting them, to say, 2 or 3 levels? I found that quite often the last quote does not make sense without previous quote.
And this situation is a prime example. :lol:

Yes. Two or three embedded quotes can be quite helpful. It's when they're fourteen deep that I generally ignore them and hope they'll go away. :lol:

Dance Ads