Verry Newbie - Can I start to practice dance at 35 years old? And what style is recommend to start please? :)

Dear all,

I am a supper newbie, however, I feel very happy to let my body follow the melody, can I start now? At age of 35? Do you think it is possible, please?

Any advice should be supper thankful.
Anna

I didn't start taking dance lessons until the age of 58 so go for it! I started private lessons in Smooth and Rhythm but then decided I wanted to focus on Smooth. Focusing on the one style in my private lessons allowed my skills to progress much faster. I started competing in ProAm in December . . . pretty sure that I wouldn't have been able to do as well if I hadn't focused. I keep my minimal rhythm skills going through group classes and dance camp. You're getting started a lot earlier than I did so you're journey may be different. We have two ladies in their 90's that still take lessons at our studio so age 35 is nothing!

Definitely, go for it!

I started at 29 and I love it. Like @True Bliss I tried a few styles (Smooth, Rhythm, and Latin) before deciding to focus on Latin to speed up my progress; at least to begin with. That being said, I don't think there's a right or wrong way to go about it. If you love multiple styles, dance them all! You'll probably end up more well rounded than I will be :p. Just do whatever makes you happy.

The one piece of advice I have (that I wish someone had given me when I first started) would be to try out a few places before you go and purchase a package and lock yourself into any one place. Each studio--especially the small independent ones--has its own vibe, training style, etc. so I'd make sure to shop around a bit.

Dear all,

I am a super newbie, however, I feel very happy to let my body follow the melody, can I start now? At age of 35? Do you think it is possible, please?
Anna
I started ballroom, Latin, swing and hustle lessons in my late 40s. One year later, I started Argentine Tango. I joke that if I knew Argentine Tango felt so good, I would have started in my 30s. BUT it requires maturity to dance Argentine tango and patience, which I didn't have in my 30s. You will know when you're ready to learn. It requires commitment!

I'm dancing Argentine Tango with the woman with the red top and blue shorts in this video.

At the time this was taped, she was 72, more than TWICE your age. We had been dancing together for about 9 months. She was going to give up tango because she thought she couldn't dance. It turns out the men she danced with couldn't lead. But beginner women tend to blame themselves for a man's poor leading. (Don't fall into that trap!!)

It's a l-o-n-g, hard slog to dance well requiring a lot of private lessons. They were worth the money.

The key to good dancing is good technique. Read this thread from the Argentine Tango forum.

https://www.dance-forums.com/threads/understanding-tango-by-understanding-ballet.46893/

Attitude is Always more important than Age in learning how to dance. A lot of people drop out of dancing because they find it's more difficult than they thought. They didn't have the right Attitude.

snapdancer

Dear all,

I am a supper newbie, however, I feel very happy to let my body follow the melody, can I start now? At age of 35? Do you think it is possible, please?

Any advice should be supper thankful.
Anna
I started dancing in my mid-30's and 30 years later am still dancing and improving. And I see others doing it also. So yes it's possible.

Let me add to tangomaniac's point about attitude. As we get older, learning new ways of moving comes more slowly than it does when we're younger. So you have to be willing to put in more practice. Also, you have to be willing to accept that the way you move when dancing with another human being will be different. The way your body follows the melody might not work in this context. Like the lady I danced with recently who bragged that she had rhythm. Which she did, but it was the wrong rhythm. Swaying vigorously on every step was the reason she was not able to follow me.

Dance Ads