WDSF viennese waltz syllabus

tangotime

International. I didn't know WDSF did American Style too.

American style has been taught in the UK for one ex. for the past 15 years and Blackpool is having an American style division this year. I cannot speak to the WDSF position but I will be surprised if it is not included .

vit

American style has been taught in the UK for one ex. for the past 15 years and Blackpool is having an American style division this year. I cannot speak to the WDSF position but I will be surprised if it is not included .
You will be surprised, it's not included :)
My edition of the book is may 2013, don't know were there further changes in the meantime

VW.gif

tangotime

This constant refusal to admit that, there is another Major dance style that is by and large the precedent of the Intern style . Maybe one day they will wake up !!

vit

Well, I think that viennese waltz actually precedes american style :)
However, "new figures" are actually figures common to other dances in int. style, now allowed here

tangotime

Well, I think that viennese waltz actually precedes american style :)
However, "new figures" are actually figures common to other dances in int. style, now allowed here
Of course it was, and so do ALL other dances have precedents. My comment is in regards of todays interpretations and inclusions. To the not allowed comment, I'm more than well aware..

Here is an ex. of getting new figures into the syl. Back in the 70s, Scrivener made an attempt to increase the number of figures and was voted down. And another ex was in more recent times. A European panel of high profile dancers suggested additions and guess who voted NO .. the ENGLISH !

It's never made sense that, ALL the other dances have multiple figures and yet, VW is excluded.

Also, some of the figures in Amer. VW style do not resemble any current BR ones in other dances .

vit

Yeah, I understand that

Anyway, if it's about social dancing, this is not a problem. In my area, teachers started including some open hold figures (partially imported from american style I suppose) several decades ago, to make it more easy and more interesting and slow down the decline of social BR here

If it's about competitions, I don't think it's very important. People just compete according to some set of rules no matter what it is. So it can be 100 figures or 10 or only 1, doesn't change much. Just like people still compete in running 100m since something like Greek times for instance, where there is only 1 criteria, although there are many other disciplines in athletics. For judges, it's probably easier if it is less rules/figures/whatever

tangotime

e

For judges, it's probably easier if it is less rules/figures/whatever
The amount of figures available to a competitor is of little consequence in my judging criteria. Rules are not that complex..

I go back to my original statement , why the other dances are multi faceted,and VW is excluded . There are great figures already established ( Amer. style ) and this , to my thinking, makes the dance more appealing.

vit

The amount of figures available to a competitor is of little consequence in my judging criteria. Rules are not that complex..
I'm perfectly aware that a number of figures danced by a couple isn't high on judging criteria. But I had in mind another thing - it's probably easier to make some objective/fair scores of couples on the competition if everybody isn't dancing quite different way / different set of figures / different timing interpreation / different shaping / different 100 other thigs ...

tangotime

I'

if everybody isn't dancing quite different way / different set of figures / different timing interpretation / different shaping / different 100 other things ...
American style dance at the higher levels has those qualities in addition to those common to all. And, does not the same apply to a lesser degree in Intern. style ?.

Dance Ads