What dance is this?

Saturday I saw a dance I'm not familiar with. I'm guessing it was 3-step, but I'm not quite sure. It's really popular around here, and I'd like to learn how to do it. It seemed kind of like a fast 2-step with a pause/back movement for a 3rd step (sort of).

Identification and help doing it would be great :)

Thanks!

Eric
(Athenon)

kayak

If the dance progresses around the floor, it could be either a triple-two or a triple-triple (polka without the up/down motion).

bjp22tango

What kind of music was it danced to? Country & Western? R&B? Latin? Fast, slow? From your description it is kind of hard to tell. Even Nightclub Two Step could be described as "a fast 2-step with a pause/back movement for a 3rd step (sort of)"

Vince A

kayak said:
If the dance progresses around the floor, it could be a triple-two or a triple-triple?
Ditto . . . Triple Two, Polka, or maybe even the Texas Two Step???

Fast? Slow? Dance around the outside of the dance floor in a ccw direction, kinda like my avatar???

The most noted song i've found is "I never promised you a rose garden"...it appears to be right, left, right - then rock back on your left foot, then repeat...it's usually done in a circle, with partners going around the whole circle...it looks a lot like synchronized walking to me :p

Vince A

That's only a 4-Step (count) dance . . . there are very few of those - actually I couldn't find any! However, there 8, 10, 12, 16, and 22-Step Polka dances that are partnered and also travel ccw around the perimeter of the floor!

I think it's basically a "shuffle" with a rock step, which would be something local???

Let me know if find out something different???

Texas Three Step

While I have never heard of the Texas Three Step, a quick Google search (try "texas three step dance") turns up several references, including this official description in the rulebook of the CWDI (Country Western Dance International):

Texas Three-Step: – Couples must maintain a step pattern of, except for limited syncopation steps to change
to their partner’s step pattern, a pattern that uses four (4) weight changes to three (3) counts of music,
counted as (1&2,3) or (1,2,3&) which has a generally forward progressive counter clockwise around the
dance floor.

(Google "CWDI" to get the link to the CWDI web site; Dance Forums is telling me I'm not allowed to post the URL.)

Sounds a little like a progressive hustle, if you can imagine that!

Cool! So where is this dance done?

athenon,

I am totally intrigued by this dance that I have never heard of or seen!! Where in Texas have you seen it done? (names of bars plus cities where they are located)

If I am ever in Texas, I would like to go to one of these places and watch the dance, maybe even learn it a little.

I love regional dances, and this definitely seems to be one...

Go to google and search for "schroeder". It's called Schroeder Hall, and google makes a point to note that it's the second oldest dance hall in texas. They list their address in Goliad, but it's actually in schroeder. Apparently, it IS 3-step :p

Hope it helps!

sounds like 3 step to me

I teach the Texas 3-step. What you describe sounds like it.

Guy starts with left foot: Beat 1: step fwd with left foot
& bring right foot beside left
2 step fwd with left foot
3 big step forward with right

It's like a quick, quick, quick, slow.

The lady will be on oposite foot because she is facing the guy and traveling backward.

Hope this helps.

Steve Pastor

Staff member
I'm going to use this ole thread for this question.

They've been doing it in Portland, and now I see they are doing it at Gilley's in Las Vegas.
Lots of people seem to know the dance, most of them younger, and people I haven't seen line dancing before.
I call it the Disney Dance, because I suspect that it is from "High School Musical". I've looked a bit, and asked a few people, and will ask again tonight when I go out.
This dance is similar to the Madison. It is a line dance, and the moves are called.
Does anyone know the name and/or where I can find a description?

Dance Ads