What else can salsa borrow from the Dancesport world?

pygmalion

Actually, I know a few pros who manage to bridge the gap. So I suspect that it's as much a matter of having the time to become entrenched in a dance scene as anything else. Those of us generalists who have day jobs only have enough "spare" time to pick one or two dance disciplines. But people who do it for a living sometimes (quite successfully) pick more than one.

Getting entrenched in a scene takes quite a bit of time and effort. 8)

pygmalion

tj said:
As a salsero thru and thru - one thing that I do admire about the Ballroom events that I have attended (I could count 'em on one hand, actually.) The people (while it was an older crowd) were more genuinely friendly than what I typically get from the salsa club scene.
Yep. I've never gone to a ballroom event and felt an unmitigated cold shoulder (no matter how bad my dancing, :oops: :lol: ) but I've been to a few salsa places where I was cussing and fuming to myself over the mean-spirited nature of some folks before the end of the evening.

There are cliques on the ballroom world, but you can generally find a couple cliques that are accepting new members wherever you go. Not necessarily true at salsa clubs. :?

pygmalion

Larinda McRaven said:
And as stated before to compare me, as an instructor at work or competitor at work, to people on a Saturday night social dancing in a bar, isn't very accurate.
Exactly. I think the reason some salsa people dis ballroom is because, maybe unknowingly, they're comparing apples to oranges. Those folks you see on TV doing ballroom are a very specific subset of the ballroom community, doing what they need to do to succeed in front of the judges. That's not the same thing as going to a ballroom social and having fun trying out new moves with your friends or dancing "ballroom" dances in a club or at a wedding, for example.

youngsta

pygmalion said:
Actually, I know a few pros who manage to bridge the gap. So I suspect that it's as much a matter of having the time to become entrenched in a dance scene as anything else. Those of us generalists who have day jobs only have enough "spare" time to pick one or two dance disciplines. But people who do it for a living sometimes (quite successfully) pick more than one.

Getting entrenched in a scene takes quite a bit of time and effort. 8)
You said the key word...Pro's. Those are the only people who would have the time to be seriously involved in more than one scene.

youngsta said:
I don't think many of the "generalists" can say they are truly entrenched in more than one of the dance cultures.
Ahh, but I'm working on it! :D Just give me another couple of months . . . *mwahaha*

Good responses people! I'm sorry if I came off as being too general about the "salsa people" - I was pretty tired and grumpy when I read the post I was responding to, and probably over did it a bit. :oops: But the point remains, and I think some of you have said some good things. Thanks!

pygmalion

You know what I like the most about DF? Somehow, it's managed to become an equal-opportunity dance site where people from various disciplines are all comfortable enough to say how they really feel.

That's how we end up learning from each other. Sometimes we get on each others' nerves, but we learn, nonetheless. :wink: 8) That's how I see this thread -- as an opportunity to learn. Kewl. 8)

youngsta

delamusica said:
Good responses people! I'm sorry if I came off as being too general about the "salsa people" - I was pretty tired and grumpy when I read the post I was responding to, and probably over did it a bit. :oops: But the point remains, and I think some of you have said some good things. Thanks!
No worries! I still wub youuuuu!! :D

Sagitta

youngsta said:
delamusica said:
No worries! I still wub youuuuu!! :D
Me too!! Though I am yet to meet you. :oops: :wink: :)

msjanemas said:
Pacion:

Incidentally, I cannot say hand on heart that I have never seen anyone at a Ballroom dancing social openly chewing gum (and by openly, I mean mouth open chewing :shock: ). Perhaps one of the ballroom dancers can help out here. But I have seen it several times at salsa/mambo events. :roll: Maybe I am getting "old" :lol: but that to me is a no, NO! :evil:

JM:

No your not old, just picky! Were they loud? Did they dress with bad taste? Were they poor or uneducated? Come on, really.
:shock: Picky? Moi! Guilty as charged officer. 8) Should I call my lawyer now or should we just go straight to the verdict :wink: :lol: Just so that you know, SalsaLawyer is on retainer so just know who you are up against :wink: :D :lol:

JM, I am a salsa dancer/lover so please look at what I have written from the perspective of a salsa lover, not someone from the "ballroom camp" who is out to dis salsa lovers/dancers. :?

Re the chewing gum thing, just picture this okay? I am dancing, trying to build the connection with my dance partner, trying to look at his eyes which also involves having a peripheral vision of his face and what do I see? Cheek muscles going a mile a minute, mouth wide open. How romantic/sensual is that!!! :shock: :lol: (Romantic being in the sense of what is happening on the dancefloor and not any illusions of things happening off the dancefloor. :wink: )

Aside from how I might feel, also going through my head is the possibility of him choking on the chewing gum and I find that I can't concentrate on enjoying the dance - instead I am worrying about his well being :roll: :?

I think I also posted on another thread a few weeks ago that I was at a salsa venue and someone had chosen to dispose of their chewing gum on the dancefloor :shock: Understandably the guy whose shoe "found it" was far from amused. Thankfully, I think he was wearing rubber or leather soles - if he was wearing suede, the gum probably would have ruined his shoe.

I too do chew gum occassionally, but I just make sure and dispose of it carefully.

Pacion said:
msjanemas said:
Pacion:

Incidentally, I cannot say hand on heart that I have never seen anyone at a Ballroom dancing social openly chewing gum (and by openly, I mean mouth open chewing :shock: ). Perhaps one of the ballroom dancers can help out here. But I have seen it several times at salsa/mambo events. :roll: Maybe I am getting "old" :lol: but that to me is a no, NO! :evil:

JM:

No your not old, just picky! Were they loud? Did they dress with bad taste? Were they poor or uneducated? Come on, really.
:shock: Picky? Moi! Guilty as charged officer. 8) Should I call my lawyer now or should we just go straight to the verdict :wink: :lol: Just so that you know, SalsaLawyer is on retainer so just know who you are up against :wink: :D :lol:

Unless your a "Monkey driving a Buick" I think I can win with him on your side! lol!

JM, I am a salsa dancer/lover so please look at what I have written from the perspective of a salsa lover, not someone from the "ballroom camp" who is out to dis salsa lovers/dancers. :?

Re the chewing gum thing, just picture this okay? I am dancing, trying to build the connection with my dance partner, trying to look at his eyes which also involves having a peripheral vision of his face and what do I see? Cheek muscles going a mile a minute, mouth wide open. How romantic/sensual is that!!! :shock: :lol: (Romantic being in the sense of what is happening on the dancefloor and not any illusions of things happening off the dancefloor. :wink: )

Then tell him this: "If you don't remove your gum, I'll have to decline". Carry some tick tac's with you to offer an option. Orrrr a lolipop!

Aside from how I might feel, also going through my head is the possibility of him choking on the chewing gum and I find that I can't concentrate on enjoying the dance - instead I am worrying about his well being :roll: :?

I think I also posted on another thread a few weeks ago that I was at a salsa venue and someone had chosen to dispose of their chewing gum on the dancefloor :shock: Understandably the guy whose shoe "found it" was far from amused. Thankfully, I think he was wearing rubber or leather soles - if he was wearing suede, the gum probably would have ruined his shoe.

Maybe Salsa Clubs should insist on no gum chewing. It's not a bad idea don't you think?

I too do chew gum occassionally, but I just make sure and dispose of it carefully.

I don't chew gum. I'm afraid my fillings may come out! lol! Anyway what are you doing dancing with a boy that chews gum? How old is he? lol!

lol!
Pacion, you do sound very picky when you complain about the salsa scene ... because some people chew gum!!!!.
Anyway, it might be related to the mostly-nightclub nature of salsa dancing: lots of alcohol and tons of smoke. And then lots of breath-fresheners, candy, and gum...

:lol: msjanemas!

alvaro said:
lol!
Pacion, you do sound very picky when you complain about the salsa scene ... because some people chew gum!!!!.
:shock: Me! Picky! (imagine an even higher pitched voice) Me! Picky!!! :shock: :lol: I suppose if you are unfamiliar with my online persona, it could come across that way. But I am not picky :cry: I will dance with anyone who wears cologne and a clean white t-shirt :twisted: :lol: just kidding! The only thing that really bugs me/I am "picky" about is the open mouth gum chewing thingymijig for reasons already explained :oops:

Re the other aspects of a "nightclub" atmosphere? Not really. In London and most (all?) of the places I have been to, there is minimal smoking and alcohol as most people are on the dancefloor, even if it is a nightclub hired for the evening :banana: :lol:

i wish we had that option here!. There is smoke everywhere!.

And, Pacion, you did dance with that open mouth gum chewing guy so i guess you cannot be that picky!!. :lol: I apologize!

Sagitta

I used to eb one of those chewing gum guys. When Is aw what I looked like in a photo I dropped it like a hot potatoe. Now I have sweets so my poor follows hear clicking sounds throughout our dance. :twisted: :)

Pacion said:
Re the other aspects of a "nightclub" atmosphere? Not really. In London and most (all?) of the places I have been to, there is minimal smoking and alcohol as most people are on the dancefloor, even if it is a nightclub hired for the evening :banana: :lol:
That's interesting. You mainly do salsa right? So you do not have a large contingent of non-dancers hanging out on the sidelines creating smoke, chewing gum, and clicking candy with their teeth?

youngsta said:
Don't think that's the issue. I've tried many dances (ECS, WCS, Foxtrot, Samba, Waltz), but I'm not a part of those scenes. It's one thing to get instructed in many different dances, it's something altogether different to really be a member of the scene, the culture. I don't think many of the "generalists" can say they are truly entrenched in more than one of the dance cultures.
You're much like myself...dabble in a few scenes to see what they are about. I've taken classes/attended parties in Argentine Tango, Lindy Hop, and Hustle but can't comment much about the scenes. Many of us have the ability to dance in the various scenes, but one reason or another moves us to invest the majority of our time in one.

While I was in ballroom I didn't have time for any other type of dancing. I'm sure we all know what a dance fix is--it gave me just that. We're talking maybe 6/7 days in some form or another (practice/classes/parties). At the time I still on occassion would go to a salsa club with my ballroom friends, but when you do a rumba to bachata music you know you're not part of the culture :)

For some reason or another, I got into salsa. When you already know how to lead and be on time the best way to learn is to go to salsa clubs and see saleros do their thang. It helps to go to workshops whenever they are available too. All the time that went into salsa completely took me out of the ballroom scene. It's too presumptuous to even say I'm a border line good dancer in salsa, but I will say I got a good taste of the culture. It still gave me that fix that we become addicted to.

I just wanted to add (and agree) that it's tough to be in any two scenes concurrently and have a life outside of dancing.

:roll: Sabor? :nope: It is all love here :wink:

alvaro said:
And, Pacion, you did dance with that open mouth gum chewing guy so i guess you cannot be that picky!!. :lol: I apologize!
Weeelllll, he did spoil it for future leads :oops: :lol:

Sagitta said:
I used to eb one of those chewing gum guys. When Is aw what I looked like in a photo I dropped it like a hot potatoe. Now I have sweets so my poor follows hear clicking sounds throughout our dance. :twisted: :)
Is the clicking on1 or on2 or in time with the clave? :twisted: :wink: :lol:

tacad said:
Pacion said:
That's interesting. You mainly do salsa right? So you do not have a large contingent of non-dancers hanging out on the sidelines creating smoke, chewing gum, and clicking candy with their teeth?
:nope: Nope :lol: The places I go to, they are marketed as a salsa night. I was at one place years ago where there were a couple of non-dancing guys, clearly bordering on drunk who were talking quite loudly, near where I was resting, saying - why bother with the dancing, why not just tell the girl "your place or mine"? :roll: (except mine is the watered down version :roll: ) With an attitude like that, and the women wanting to dance, it is hardly any wonder non-dancers (which is different to beginners) stay away from a salsa night. :?

Dance Ads