What I Learned At My Last Comp

cornutt

I'm known for a really really good frame , and it collapsed
I got dizzy in the Viennese
I lost my footing in foxtrot
My mambo turned into salsa
I was so ready with my footwork, and I wasn't able to do it right
We've all had comps like that. Eight months isn't very long in the competitive world. Cut yourself a bit of slack. Then decide that for the next comp, you will concentrate on one or two specific things, and for the rest, whatever happens happens. One thing at a time.

RiseNFall

Most important lesson is that if I drive home after a competition with all of my makeup on, it's very important to bring in the bag that contains the makeup remover. (Coconut oil did a reasonable job--it was cold and I was not going back out if I could help it.)

I learned that I need a new presentation goal before my next comp. I am anything but a natural performer--my gut instinct is to be horrified that people are watching me, but I have improved incredibly. Only people who knew me when I first started competing have any idea how far I have come. Since I now regularly give new competitors "no reason to worry" pep talks, I cannot very well go out and look stressed. ;) The feedback from the last two or three FADS events is that I looked very comfortable on the floor and that I look like I am enjoying myself...and that was my goal. No abject terror. I am not quite as comfortable as I appear, but close.

cornutt

I had coaches tell me that I needed to make an effort to make eye contact with the audience. After competing for a while, I found that on the floor, I got so locked in with my partner that I tended to forget the audience was there. o_O

Had a good comp this past weekend! Was so pleased that the new routines went well, and that I felt mentally relaxed and prepared. Also learned to always get my video order in earlier - i had forgotten to get it in first thing in the morning, and i didn't get my smooth multi on video, boo. I saw a lot of improvement in rhythm, but my arms have regressed a bit, gotten a bit sloppy. I had other things that i was focusing on, and apparently let them go a bit. new goal is to improve those without losing the improvement in being more relaxed when i dance, how i use my feet and where my gaze is focused. Only able to do rhythm at wisconsin state this year, due to an unexpected tax bill sucking up my money. So - i have a good goal for that comp!

RiseNFall

I had coaches tell me that I needed to make an effort to make eye contact with the audience. After competing for a while, I found that on the floor, I got so locked in with my partner that I tended to forget the audience was there. o_O
I got through my first couple of years of competing by creating a bubble around Pro and myself--that was my world. First comp where I let that dissolve wasn't so good ("What? There are people out there watching me?!?"), but there has been a steady improvement since then. Pro gets credit for not getting impatient with me; he thought he was signing up to teach people to dance, not to be there with them while they worked through a multitude of issues. ;)

RiseNFall

I don't wear my glasses when I compete, and do not have contacts, so I generally don't know who's looking at me unless we are close.:) I did, unfortunately, see the person who blew me a kiss during my first competition (nobody I knew). There went the rest of that heat. :rolleyes: Last time I made eye contact with an audience member....

At my next to last comp, I learned that putting too much pressure on myself truly is counter-productive. And that having to watch a final sucks 8-}

At the most recent comp, I learned that my dancing is best when I've already achieved my goal (made final) or am not expecting great results.

In my next comp, I hope to learn to dance every round like one or the other of the above.

Dance Ads