What I learned this weekend ...

DancePoet

Ok...another confession...I won't be doing splits either...but, kicks??? I guess this is the real admission... I did try one of those developmental kicks in waltz last weekend mirroring my partner just for the fun of it. It actually came off ok. Lot's of laughing and smiles when we showed it to the instructor!

But, after reading this thread, thankfully, I wasn't wearing jeans. ;)

pygmalion

Jazz pants are very, very nice. :wink: They're comfy, they wick away moisture, they're stretchy, and they look quite good on men and women, fat and thin. You can't beat 'em, I think. :wink: :lol:

DancePoet

Allright, Pygmalion, I am rising to the moment and moving away from my current silliness. At least for this a post.

What does a pair of "jazz" pants look like?

NOOOOOOO DP....not linen! I REALLY wouldn't advice you to wear a linen shirt to dance in....*scary thought!!*

I wear jeans when I go dancing but then that's because my partner and I like to try different 'stunts' so to speak 8) . We have a couple moves like 'the dead drop', 'the swoop', 'walk-over', 'tornado', 'the helicopter' and 'the double dip' just to name a few :roll: . And I have to be doing SOME form of lifting legs....lots of spins...dips....and backward bends....aint no WAY a skirt is gonna cut it for me!! :lol: not that I've never worn a dress or skirt before :wink: but they are so limiting for me 8)

youngsta

I have a really nice linen shirt I wear all the time that I get compliments on. I don't sweat much whatsoever so it's not a problem. The only deal with linen is that it wrinkles QUICK!!

I love the jazz pants that are seamless and that have ribbing to shape a waist if you dont have one

FYI jazz pants are fitted stretch pants with a boot or flared leg.

I like to wear jeans to dance that ahve a little stretch around them as if they fit across the hips they make me aware of my hip action

Almost embarassing moment that happened to me this morning. I almost walked out after my ballet class wearing my leotard my jacket and shoes but nothing over my pink tights! Guess I got so comfortable wearing jsut tights I forgot all about my warm up pants. Gosh that would have been funny

Tight pants (whatever the cloth they're made of) are ok... as long as they feel comfortable... otherwise they may be a pain in the a**...
I try not to wear uncomfy clothes while dancing... and not jeans... I like to dress... :)

Tasek

Sakura said:
Well, it's been said that the more in shape people are, the less they sweat; but I know we dancers are in tip-top (sorta!) shape, to do what we do, so I like SD's explanation! :lol: :lol:
Actually I recall it being the reverse, the more you exercise the easier you sweat: if you exercise you don't just train your muscles, you also train your body in losing it's excess heat, so a well trained person will start sweating sooner then an untrained person whose "temperature-control systems" just aren't as sensitive/responsive.

Ofcourse training aside, there can be huge differences between different people's sweating, I'm definately in the above average category when it comes to sweating. I prefer cotton or cottonblends and loose pants when dancing, and it's always at least a clean cotton undershirt and generous amounts of deoderant before I go dancing. As far as those people who can dance all night and hardly sweat are concerned: the b@$7@rd$!!

no jeans for me.. i'm too old for that :lol: .. i dont like feeling any heavyness or friction from clothes even when not dancing.. i sweat like mad in descargas so i'm thinking to start a trend where salseros can just have swimming trunks on.. hey dont frown on it cause there are variety of materials, clors and cuts involved :tongue: .. plus an occasional tie and socks for when formality is required :lol: ... plus a bathrobe would be just dandyfor keeping them muscles warm till the next dance :wink:

Har har, Sabor! Swimming trunks! Good idea, though, actually. Might be cute to see all those hairy legs at a salsa party( unless you're all gonna WAX!!!)

Someone was inquiring as to the content of the "jazz pants"
Here are what my labels say:

polyester/lycra(Danskin- lots of zippers on these)

supplex nylon/spandex(These are Danskins, I have 2 pair & LOVE them & have been searching desperately for more- cannot find this style)

cotton/micro lycra/nylon(Carushka. Fit like a GLOVE!)

The dance suppliers make extra long sizes which I need, so I usually order from them. Victoria's Secret has a cool "Yoga Pant" that is VERY comfortable, and the price is right. They occasionally have other synthetic
sport stretch pants and when they do, I buy several pair. Regular fashion apparel, even when not on sale, is cheaper than stuff made especially for dance.
I wear these pants all the time, even for work- they go well with suits & stuff and always look sleek because of their tight fit! :D

Tasek said:
Sabor said:
... plus a bathrobe would be just dandyfor keeping them muscles warm till the next dance :wink:
Nah, one of those shiny robes boxers wear, with your DF-screenname on the back :D 8)
LOL! excellent idea.. 8) .. "and in the blue corner, the challenger! weighing 220 pounds of pure lean muscle.. the king of clave.. the master of salsadisaster!.. the one ..the only.....! :lol:

tj

Actually, I dance in jeans most of the time.

One material I try to avoid wearing is silk. It just doesn't breath.

I have found that polyester/rayon blends work pretty well. Rayon makes the fabric less itchy and polyester dries really fast.

squirrel said:
I like to dress... :)
I usually am a dress/skirt girl so completely understand this. When I walked into the club with my sassy jeans on, my friends were like --- "So casual! Que paso?!" LOL! I will save those jeans for standing about and looking cute.

:shock: :oops: :shock: Many thanks, Tasek!!!!!!!! I went and changed that straight-away! It was what I'd meant to type, and *that* was why I liked SD's idea; the irony that the less in shape people get to sweat less because their bodies haven't become efficient at cooling themselves off!

Sabor said:
Tasek said:
Sabor said:
... plus a bathrobe would be just dandyfor keeping them muscles warm till the next dance :wink:
Nah, one of those shiny robes boxers wear, with your DF-screenname on the back :D 8)
LOL! excellent idea.. 8) .. "and in the blue corner, the challenger! weighing 220 pounds of pure lean muscle.. the king of clave.. the master of salsadisaster!.. the one ..the only.....! :lol:
:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: You guys are great!!!!! But we'd have to find you a challenger, Sabor! :wink:

...You know, though,: making warm-up jackets with our DF names on back and "Dance-Forums! ...Got Dance (to incorporate all styles! 8) )?" would be really cool!

....Actually, the back could have:
Official DFite:
(insert name)

(insert my quote from Genesius about the DFites and Baalish Zombie Grinders!!!)

Wouldn't that be great?! :D (Of course, I could just be over-enthused, but we could do that as a way to raise funds for DF, ne? I *know* internet space costs monies, so if we could find a company willing to make these, we could do some sort of limited-time offer and send in custom-orders for these coats, and maybe we could get part of the profits to go to DF! ...Of course, I could just be reading too much into this... :oops: :oops: ...But I still think it'd be cool as something to try and do around the holidays or something...!)

Sabor said:
squirrel said:
:)) And just how old are you, Sabor dear?
i am 44-22+18-10*2+40-69 :wink:
Curse you, Sabor! I got all the way to 100-69, an then I had to break out my calculator 'cause weird numbers like that don't work well in my head!!! :evil: I was nearly there too! :D

Sakura Kitty :kitty:

Dance Ads