What is Country Western Waltz?

Steve Pastor

Staff member
Funny you should bring this up. Angel and I had an "interesting" discusion about waltz, and what you write agrees with what I see in the CW places.
I actually looked at the music for a number of waltzes, and many of them, espepcially CW music ones, have notes that correspond to the long-short-short you describe.

When I am at a really nice big dance floor or a studio, the CW Waltz that is basically American Smooth sure is fun.
Can't help but wonder, though, if American Smooth Country Waltz isn't an oxymoron. :)

kayak

I think the choice of music has a huge bearing on which style we dance. There are a lot of CW songs that are quite a bit faster than the 28 bpm of slow Waltz. So just as ballroom does Vieneze Waltz to faster music, the CW Waltz with linear styling and much less rise and fall is all that can fit with the tempo.

When dancers get a nice slow song, why not go big? That is where the ballroom styling comes in handy. There are lots of beautiful slow Waltz songs, they just normally aren't played at a CW bar.

7. Twinkles
8. Chasses
quote]

We were reading this thread and noticed these two terms, but don't recognize them. :confused:

We know dance terms can vary widely from region-to-region as well as from genre-to-genre.

Can someone please describe what "Twinkles" and "Chasses" are in C/W Waltz?

Thanks in advance....

kayak

Hi,

A twinkle is basically the motion of moving from closed position to promenade. It is often done when the man's right leg is leading either forward with the heel or back with the toe. The Twinkle is a settling to an angle to the left and an opening of the frame to promenade.

The chasse is the skipping motion often led from a twinkle. So the partners are in promenade position and the man might then lead left forward, right foot comes up behind the left and then left forward again.

Both are great for changing direction to get around traffic. I hope that helps?

Dance Ads