What is the "Russian kick"?

VRRDA

I know the You Tube move as "Drop Sit"; but, different schools - different names.

I don't know the name of the move in the pic. 'Cos it is easy to lead with an experienced dance partner I have always just done it rather than call it first. I would be happy for this one to be "Russian Kicks". It has a kind of Cossack aspect.

(At the risk of getting off topic I must add that a while back, in a discussion group for teachers that my Association convened, we talked about letting new dancers know that some moves have multiple names. Getting the teachers to agree to a set of standardised names was out of the question. :mrgreen:)

It is move in the picture I have always called Russian kick. And I know a lot of others do the same. And I have danced Lindy for eight years or so now, and never heard anyone say anything else.

But then someone who has danced Lindy longer than I have said that russian kick was that other move. And when I searched on you tube, I found the clip above confirming that.

Lindy is in no way a regulated dance, and there is no standard syllabus. No bronze, silver, gold levels and all that. And that's how I like it.

I especially like that there is no one correct way of doing a certain pattern. Only good or bad leading.

But there are some patterns and moves that have historical names, and having those more or less correct is nice. :)

Hi,

just noticed the question

several years ago I was talking to Frankie about your first example, and he said that members of WLH (himself included) had created it after watching a similar ballet movement, and called it the "Russian splits." That step, whichsubsequently tended to follow the "back Charleston" became known later as the "kick between the legs" and even later I think as the "kick Charleston" (although I'm not too certain about the last one). Thus as is the way with dance you seem to have come across a pretty close derivation of the original name!

Terry

first move is usually reffered to as the russian lift.......
second one is the drop................

but, hey, names vary from locale to locale...........

Dance Ads