What made you smile today?

3wishes

The husband made Rod Steward Las Vegas show ticket purchase and hotel reservations at Ceasars to celebrate our August multi decade wedding anniversary! I am smiling ear to ear, As he told me this through my horrible summer cold yesterday! Can't wait.

I had the last round of my first series of chemotherapy today. I painted my nails bright red in honor of the occasion, and my family are buying me a strawberry to add to my charm bracelet:inlove: Also, I have had minimal side effects that I haven't been able to cope with in a positive manner, just 3 days over the 3 months where I felt a bit low emotionally..... and snuggling into bed helped. Who says adults don't need soft toys? I have a bumblebee, since we don't have a cat and the dog is not allowed inside, let alone in the bed:) Advice to self: Take delight in the small things every day, live every moment, and dance in any spaces which are left:cool:

I had the last round of my first series of chemotherapy today. I painted my nails bright red in honor of the occasion, and my family are buying me a strawberry to add to my charm bracelet:inlove: Also, I have had minimal side effects that I haven't been able to cope with in a positive manner, just 3 days over the 3 months where I felt a bit low emotionally..... and snuggling into bed helped. Who says adults don't need soft toys? I have a bumblebee, since we don't have a cat and the dog is not allowed inside, let alone in the bed:) Advice to self: Take delight in the small things every day, live every moment, and dance in any spaces which are left:cool:
Thank you for your post so much, Swinging Along. It makes me more positive <3

Thank you for your post so much, Swinging Along. It makes me more positive <3
I am glad that I can help. A long time ago, I had to do a stress management course. At the start, we had to write a list of ten things that had made us smile so far that day. It was 9in the morning, and I couldn't think of one. Six months later, I was required to repeat the course. This time when we had to write the list, I wrote 15 things, and could have written more - I had discovered how to be delighted in the tiny details of life - the edge of a leaf against the sun, a drop of water making a rainbow, the colour of the sky as the sun is coming up, the shape of a building as a silhouette as the sun goes down, the amazing colours of the lights in a city at night, the feel of wearing a nice swishy skirt, the crunch of an apple..... when you know how to look, it feeds your soul, and the delight in the tiny details of life becomes endless :)

cornutt

The physical therapists have been very understanding about the fact that dancing is one of the activities being most impacted by my gimpy knee. I've demonstrated lowering in waltz and bolero to several of them, and they have shown me some exercises specifically to help with that.

3wishes

Upgraded to the Ceasar's Penthouse Suite on the 28th floor! It is magnificent!
All because the desk clerk asked " what brings you to Ceasars today?" And my response was our xx wedding anniversary as well as Rod Steward. It really is magnificent, can't stop smiling.

cornutt

Can you explain the "help with lowering" exercises? (You knew somebody would ask that!)
Mostly stair-step exercises. Get a wooden box 4-6" high (depending on how high up one can step without pain). Facing it, I step up onto it with my right leg, bring the left foot up, then step down with first the left foot and then finally the right foot. Do twenty of these. Then face away, step up onto the box with the right foot going backwards, left up the left foot, etc., twenty of these. Then stand with the box on my right, step up sideways with the right foot, etc., twenty of those.

I've also done one where they put a squishy ball in front of me I step onto it and then bear weight into the knee as I lower, as far as I can without pain. Hold for five seconds, stand back up. Fifteen of those.

And a bunch of general leg strengthening and stretching. They seem to be particularly focused on my quads.

FancyFeet

The black streaks up the inside of my pink tights post-ballet class, from dragging my toes up the inside of my leg... because it's a sign of my improving technique.

RiseNFall

Studio won two out of three studio awards at the FADS comp yesterday. It's the first time we've won any of them. Pro and his wife have owned the studio for almost three years now and have worked so hard to make it a success. I am so happy for them and for the two "new" teachers* who are also contributing so much to the success of the studio and the students. :joyful: :dancingbanana::p :dancingbanana::D

Pro also won Top Male Teacher, but I don't think it was even close this year between the amount of time he was on the floor and the placement of his students. (At least in this region, FADS top student and top teacher awards take into consideration both number of entries and placements.)

*They've both been with the studio for over a year now, but that is how I will think of them until there is somebody newer!

Last edited:

3wishes

My DH is turning, well, that age lol, October 14, and we will be in SLO (San Luis Obispo) rather than the Autumn Dance Classic, which made him confused when I presented all these reasons to cancel.
My mission, to surprise him on his birthday, in our favorite Central Coast town - with a full blown trip and tour, back to Scotland, a place he loved at 22 when he was in the service but says he didn't really appreciate and dreams, one day, of going back.
Wow! Is he going to be surprised!

Dance Ads