What makes a good student?

What Kind of a Dance Student Are You?

• Total voters
There's also the effect. of climbing the same mountain by different routes. Two teachers who could dance easily together at first meeting might have students who would find themselves in strong disagreement, because they each have a different incomplete fraction of the knowledge needed to make dancing work. So in addition to having adapted to your new teacher you have probably also grown to a point of development where their paths of approach draw closer together.

There's also the effect. of climbing the same mountain by different routes. Two teachers who could dance easily together at first meeting might have students who would find themselves in strong disagreement, because they each have a different incomplete fraction of the knowledge needed to make dancing work. So in addition to having adapted to your new teacher you have probably also grown to a point of development where their paths of approach draw closer together.
Chris thank you so much for sharing your insights in answering my question. :)

wooh

I think when you spend a lot of time with one instructor, no matter how good they are, there are things that aren't their pet peeves that will be ignored, just because that instructor is accustomed to seeing them in you. You go to another instructor, and because they have fresh eyes on the situation, it's glaringly obvious to them, so they fix them right off.

Can't post youtube links, but would like to suggest that there are a couple of youtube links that offer an interesting take on "a good student".

Maybe someone could make the appropriate link.
The you-tube title is: "Len Goodman lectures on learning, practicing and partnership" - part 1 and part 2. The subscriber is: seravi.

wonderwoman

I think a good student communicates *honestly* if not effectively. Sometimes I feel like I'm whining that "I don't get it" but I need to tell him that I'm confused and the connection between the information and my movement isn't making it, so he can explain it a different way. We love those moments when something "clicks".

Another quality that I think makes a better student is trust... In the past for various reasons I was never comfortable around my teachers and could never fully trust them (that's me not them).. I think you owe it to yourself and your teacher to move on if it doesn't feel right (and you can't address the problem) because it's going to be a barrier to their teaching and your learning.

I think that a good student doesn't expect to learn it all in the lesson. They can take information away, think about it, study it, and improve.

It is important that the teacher and student understand what works for them. I know that I am good at learning footwork and routines, and I have no problems reading the ISTD books, and so all I need initially in the lessons is to be shown the steps and then will go away and work on it. I know that posture, balance and general trust (physically allowing someone to lead me, relax in their hold) are a problem and so I have to work on that.

Mutual respect is important. Worst situation is when you think you have it, but then discover it wasn't really there on one side. Feelings can then get intensified. Been there, and will make sure it doesn't happen again.

wonderwoman

I think when you spend a lot of time with one instructor, no matter how good they are, there are things that aren't their pet peeves that will be ignored, just because that instructor is accustomed to seeing them in you. You go to another instructor, and because they have fresh eyes on the situation, it's glaringly obvious to them, so they fix them right off.
That's why I love coaching lessons esp w/ a teacher who focuses on a very particular thing.

There are a lot of student issues that I have turned over in my head since joining DF and participating in this 'Good Dance Student' thread. TinyDancer, myself, and others have talked about what it's like being a student very much associated with a teacher, a situation that I happily share with her. TD also mentioned that in a sense we are a 'creation' for our instructor--a tangible something that represents the hard work of both teacher and student. That is something that I like.

Has anyone been in a similar situation as the following? I transitioned from one teacher to another, and both men were friendly rivals of each other at the same studio. The first instructor decided to move on to another teaching opportunity. I was the top student of my first teacher, and I am becoming that for my current one. During the transition I did notice that the second teacher was a bit critical of some things that my previous teacher had taught me (not in a mean way). Perhaps as the 'creation' of the first teacher's instruction, he felt that I needed some corrections and adjustments--and I said, 'You are my instructor now, I am an open book and a blank sheet.' I think I had a good attitude.

Time has passed, and now my current teacher never even mentions the previous teacher anymore, nor any of his teaching. I guess I have made the transition from being someone that he 'inherited' from the other teacher to a student that is now proudly all his own!

Anyone else have any thoughts or similar experiences? :)
Amy, this is a good topic to raise, as it is not uncommon that a student will transition from one teacher at some time in his or her dance education, including at the same studio. Life is a series of comings and goings, and sometimes people move on.

Amy, this is a good topic to raise, as it is not uncommon that a student will transition from one teacher at some time in his or her dance education, including at the same studio. Life is a series of comings and goings, and sometimes people move on.
Ray, I have made transitions between teachers twice now. With a few things similar to Amanda's experiences.

Gorme

I find that there is some professional jealousy that goes on between instructors. In real life, they could all be great friends, but when it comes to teaching, each person says that they are absolutely correct and that the other pros are wrong (unless that other pro is someone that's high ranking). You just have to take it all in and decide for yourself what works for you.

Huh. As far as I've seen pros seem to respect eachother and get along well.
That's good. Like I remarked in the engagement ring thread, studios reflect everything that happens in life in general--but in microcosm, where perhaps some things get intensified, including the emotions associated with dance and being in someone's arms a lot as part of lessons.

Suggestion from Shandy

Can't post youtube links, but would like to suggest that there are a couple of youtube links that offer an interesting take on "a good student".

Maybe someone could make the appropriate link.
The you-tube title is: "Len Goodman lectures on learning, practicing and partnership" - part 1 and part 2. The subscriber is: seravi.
Shandy, thank you so much for the links to these "Len Goodman on Learning..." clips (by Len from DWTS). I am posting them for anyone who is interested here:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1riYoX5vJjw

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kxCF8rydjqQ

Dance Ads