What song did you learn with

newbie

Well-Known Member
#2
My first teacher mainly used "la cumparsita".
I think I've never danced on it though, as it is never played in our milongas.
 

newbie

Well-Known Member
#5
In A.T, students soon know and recognize a couple of songs (e.g. La Cumparsita, Libertango, El Choclo).
Is it the same in Salsa? Do you have arch-famous classics?
 
#6
newbie said:
In A.T, students soon know and recognize a couple of songs (e.g. La Cumparsita, Libertango, El Choclo).
Is it the same in Salsa? Do you have arch-famous classics?
Yeah, like Micaela by Sonora Carruseles. That's a real hardcore song to dance to for beginners, though, I think! (It makes ME go wild!)
 

MacMoto

Active Member
#7
cocodrilo said:
Yeah, like Micaela by Sonora Carruseles. That's a real hardcore song to dance to for beginners, though, I think! (It makes ME go wild!)
I was also going to suggest Micaela -- which proves the point! :lol: It may be a boogaloo rather than a salsa, but you hear it wherever you salsa.
 

MacMoto

Active Member
#9
newbie said:
La Cumparsita, Libertango, El Choclo
I knew these songs before I started AT, but so far I haven't heard any of them either in classes or at milongas... Perhaps they are thought "a bit too classic I'm sick of it" sort of songs by tango dancers? :?
 
#11
Ballroom cha-cha: if I hear Celia Cruz sing "Guantanamera" I'm going to scream.

Libertango.... there is a ballroom version which is strict tempo at 32 measures per minute, so it's danceable. The version that YoYo Ma plays from "The Tango Lesson" is quite a bit faster. La Cumparsita, standard ballroom tango piece... kinda like "In the Mood" for swing.

One day I'll find out what some of those ArT pieces are.
 

bordertangoman

Well-Known Member
#12
etchuck said:
Libertango.... there is a ballroom version which is strict tempo at 32 measures per minute, so it's danceable. The version that YoYo Ma plays from "The Tango Lesson" is quite a bit faster. La Cumparsita, standard ballroom tango piece... kinda like "In the Mood" for swing.

One day I'll find out what some of those ArT pieces are.
Grace Jones' version of Libertango I have danced to.... that's slower than Yo Yo Ma. I have aslo heard versions of La Cumparista speeded up to a brisk march. Danny whassisname has recordings like that, but dunno what the tempo is. 32 bpm seems slow; the tango is supposed to be at heartbeat or walking pace which would be around 60 bpm.
 
#14
All the standards (La Cumparsita, Libertango etc) get my tango toes moovin' and groovin', Cats but the funny thing is that most of the songs I learned to I don't know, or at least didn't at the time.

My teacher has a collection of zillions of CDs and he'd rotate them, so every so often something similar would come up, but it was a while before I could stop worrying about how my feet would move and listen to the music!

As for salsa, yeah, who doesn't know Micaela. Mind you, it remains one of my favourites to dance to, especially with a really good lead. Because you know the music so well, you can go mad with your dancing and improvisation.
 

Dance Ads