What the HECK is triple two?

pygmalion

Check out this description of triple two I got from the Learn to Dance Austin web site.

Learn to Dance Austin said:
Why is this dance so popular? The answer is simple.
Buy any new top Country artist's CD and
very likely half the music on it will be Triple Two-Step tempo.
Go to a C&W club any night of the week and be prepared
`cuz so much of the country music is Triple Two-Step.

Is this a new trend? Not at all.
Learn to Dance introduced this dance to the Austin area in 1991.
We anticipated the growth of this music and therefore the dance.
It was already popular in many other
areas of the U.S. and Austin was just next.

Triple Two-Step has some of the Hottest moves in all Country Dancing!
This Dance is a must for anyone who
wants to learn the Hottest Country Dance in Texas.

The Triple Two-Step (formerly know as the Double Two-Step)
is often called `Swing on the move"
because it incorporates the fancy variations
of Swing into the smooth peppy movement of the Two-Step and Polka.
Um, so just one question. What is it? Is it swing? Polka? Two-step? I'm SO confused. At least I know it's popular in Austin. :wink: :lol: Oh yeah, and btw, are there step lists out there? How about music suggestions?

The Triple Two-Step (formerly know as the Double Two-Step)
is often called `Swing on the move"
because it incorporates the fancy variations
of Swing into the smooth peppy movement of the Two-Step and Polka.
We've learned it here in Michigan as well. If I remember it right.. if a the music is too fast for a two step.. then it can become polka. If the music is too slow for a two step.. you can do a triple two which is just a tad slow before polka I believe. Ok... I'm sorry. I just realized this kinda comes out clear as mudd.. I wish I had a better way of exlpaining this. I can do it better but Ann may be able to explain it easier.. go figure. :lol:

Um, so just one question. What is it? Is it swing? Polka? Two-step? I'm SO confused. At least I know it's popular in Austin. Oh yeah, and btw, are there step lists out there? How about music suggestions?
What is it? almost a polka with some very cool patterns. Ann and I have taken this class from Albert during our class of the month dance. It is kinda like two step except the songs are slower.. it goes.. "walk, walk, Triple Step, Triple Step, Walk, Walk" Now.. during the walk, walk.. it is like a basic going forward.. and you both are in closed Promenade position - on the triple step you move the woman across your path or you can do a turn.. for me (being a dancer - not an instructor) it is harder for me to explain so I hope that wasn't too confusing for you.. most of the time you are in closed position .. I just wanted to kinda provide a basic example. We do have music for it.. I can pull out my music we use for practice and tell you if you would like. As far as step lists.. we never had any.. not that they don't exist. Once you get into it.. it is easier for the guys then it is for the gals.. however, as in our class all the guys had the same issues (basically knowing when, how fast and how far to turn the woman at a certain point) with the turns so the woman would/could feel the lead and come out at the right point in order for the dance to work and be on time.

I've always had a problem with staying on time and rhythm in east coast swing.. so this presented a small challenge.. however with lots of effort (since this is a social and competitive dance) I was able to remember just about everything. This dance has all the patterns of a two step.. just the timing and rhythm is different. It's a tad more tiring though.. even though it goes to slower music than a normal two step.. you basically put in twice the effort in doing the dance. It's fun.. but tiring.

Everytime Ann and I have done this.. I remember it all without a problem.. she gets tired and a little dizzy and I lose timing and rhythm .. which ultimately comes full circle and makes her tired and dizzy.. viscous circle that it is. We start off just fine in every dance though. We're slowly working the kinks out and getting better at it.

It is definately worth learning since there isn't all that much different between it and polka and will put you on the floor if you can't do a two step to it.

Once you see it in action.. and someone doing it right or giving it the right effort ("the good ol' college try") you will see it's pretty cool.

Hope this helped.. did it?

pygmalion

Yes, actually. Your description makes sense to me. 8) :D I've done polka, two step, ECS, so I should be in pretty good shape, it seems. Hmm. I wonder if I can find somebody to teach it. I found a website for the National Teacher's Association of country dance teachers ... but the site was defunct. :headwall: Not sure where to go next, but I don't give up easy.

Yes, actually. Your description makes sense to me. I've done polka, two step, ECS, so I should be in pretty good shape, it seems.
Excellent. I'm gald it made sense. If you're in shape.. even better.

Hmm. I wonder if I can find somebody to teach it. I found a website for the National Teacher's Association of country dance teachers ... but the site was defunct. Not sure where to go next, but I don't give up easy.
Well.. maybe you could email our instructor.. he's an excellent instructor and is often invited to events and workshops based on his level and expertise as a dancer, competitor and instructor. Perhaps he could help?

pygmalion

Cool. There are actually a couple country dance instructors (who advertise onthe web), and a couple country dance competitions held here annually (I'm in Orlando). So I bet there's somebody already here, I just don't know who they are... But I'll find out. :wink:

Cool. There are actually a couple country dance instructors (who advertise onthe web), and a couple country dance competitions held here annually (I'm in Orlando). So I bet there's somebody already here, I just don't know who they are... But I'll find out.
Ok.. well cool Jen (I think that's your name.. I think Ann mentioned it Sat night in the car) I wish you well and hope you can find them if they're local.. if not and we can help in anyway.. just let us know. We're (as you may know) in Michigan.

Ron

Vince A

Glad you all ironed out that Triple Two . . .

That's my worst dance . . . mainly because it's so dang BORING . . . it's like a Two Step on valium . . . and correct me if I'm wrong, Ron, it's the first dance out at a UCWDC competition? No wonder I'm half asleep for the rest of the comp!

That's my worst dance . . . mainly because it's so dang BORING . . . it's like a Two Step on valium . . . and correct me if I'm wrong, Ron, it's the first dance out at a UCWDC competition? No wonder I'm half asleep for the rest of the comp!
Well Vince.. :lol: I think you may be right.. but I've never played that close attention to it before to really say yes. I didn't even pay much attention to it at our last comp in South Bend, IN over Memorial Day weekend.

Vince A

I've only done the dance twice in competition . . . and had to drink a Red-Bull just to get around the dance floor, so I could finish . . . J/K!

Twilight_Elena

Two step... Kill me if I'm wrong, but has it got anything to do with the old blues we used to dance when we were young? (well, younger :p ) I really know nothing at ALL about C&W and polka and two step and all that... I'm a ballroom & salsa kid...

Twilight Elena

Vince A

I don't know why they call this dance a 2 Step . . . it has a lot more than 2 steps to each full sweep of a pattern . . . QQSS, with 3 steps being the very minimum to complete . . . QQSS, SSSS, QQQ, etc . . .

Old thread, but I found it looking for Polka info.

The Triple Two Step is the essentially the same as the Two Step except you have a triple step in place of the Slow step. The basic Triple Two has 8 steps in 6 beats of music, while the standard Two Step has 4 steps in 6 beats of music. For the same tempo music the Triple two is twice as fast. For that reason the Triple Two is best danced to music ranging from 100-150 beats per minute, while the standard Two ranges from 150 to 200 bpm.

Even with the music tempo difference the triple two is faster. At 150 bpm a Triple Two works out to 200 steps per minute. The standard Two at 200 bpm is 133 steps per minute.

Dance Ads