What to do about gender imbalance

yes but every time I open the thread, I still have the open reply window. There is no "close" icon in my view for the window. Just Post and Preview. Am I missing something or just blind? (or stoopid... that happens sometimes too)
This is the way the forum is set up. As long as you are logged in, the reply box will shaw. Just ignore it.

Zoopsia59

I was having trouble yesterday getting something I'd already quoted in a reply I was working on, to actually delete. I would delete everything in the reply including the quoted stuff and quote formating, then leave the thread. When I'd go back to the thread, the reply window would be sitting there again with the quote back in it every time. Doesn't seem to be happening anymore.

I was having trouble yesterday getting something I'd already quoted in a reply I was working on, to actually delete. I would delete everything in the reply including the quoted stuff and quote formating, then leave the thread. When I'd go back to the thread, the reply window would be sitting there again with the quote back in it every time. Doesn't seem to be happening anymore.
The forum saved your typed info as a draft...

The leaders who also learn to follow by dancing with each other will be much better partners for the women who do show up. So with followers (and women) being in short supply and therefore in demand, being the best possible leader will give an advantage.

I'm surprised that your instructor isn't having people learn both roles or at least suggested that leaders take on the follower role when the class is out of balance. Or did they try that and the guys just aren't willing?
Learning both leader & follower would be the solution in the long term. However, there is not magic or shortcut. Time requirement may simply double for some moves.

I understand cutting the price to push a product/service via a channel....but am not sure if that can be done ie have one price for men and one for women ( for the exact same product/service)based solely on demand characteristics...and gender....
Not my call anyway...but it's an interesting idea and as you said could open up many issues that the studio may not want to entertain.
A wise business owner would do this discounting by role and not gender. I've definitely seen discounts for classes when one role greatly outbalanced the other.

tangobro

I am a beginning lead. In our class, there is no problem of gender imbalance. Just wanted to signal that it would not disturb me to take up a follower role from time to time. I believe that it would help me understand better how the lead is perceived (or not) by the follower, and that it would help me lead better.
Early in my tango journey I was fortunate, after a few unfortunate mistakes, to find a school where the teachers insisted on teaching tango the way they learned it. Meaning men had to learn to follow. Not that they had to be able to dance a whole tanda in what they called "the women's role" (they disliked the terms "follower" & "leader"), but they taught the men how to follow in order to "pass the lead" (pasar la marca). This meant that in addition to demonstrating & explaining a technique, they would then apply the technique to each man so the men understood the method the rhythm & the dynamics of the lead. This they called "passing the lead".

Several times when being complimented after a tanda, the women asked which school I had attended. They always said some of the best leaders they knew had also attended that school.

When I attend workshops given by teachers traveling from Argentina they frequently resolve a question about how to accomplish a lead by leading the man who asked the question. Those of us who know how to follow get clarification. Those who don't know how to follow seem to get more confused.

Learning to follow has helped me to become a better dancer, although I don't dance as a follower outside of class. I agree that it could help you lead better.

Zoopsia59

Early in my tango journey I was fortunate, after a few unfortunate mistakes, to find a school where the teachers insisted on teaching tango the way they learned it.

Several times when being complimented after a tanda, the women asked which school I had attended. They always said some of the best leaders they knew had also attended that school.
Who were those original teachers / school? I'm just curious since I'm familiar with so many of the NYC instructors. You can PM me the answer if you want.

To give an update...its gotten worse. Even the men now are dropping out. It's no fun when you have to sit out or dance by you self.
Unless this situation Changes fast, I too will likely look elsewhere (and there are many options). I am not thrilled about paying good dollars for not having fun as are others.

snapdancer

In my dance scene, there are often more men in a class than women. I've wondered if that could be because either:
1. the men are so good at leading that the women don't need to take classes, or
2. the men are so bad at leading that the women don't want to dance at all.
Or maybe a combination of both.

To give an update...its gotten worse. Even the men now are dropping out. It's no fun when you have to sit out or dance by you self.
Unless this situation Changes fast, I too will likely look elsewhere (and there are many options). I am not thrilled about paying good dollars for not having fun as are others.
If the men are dropping out as well - it's the teachers... the teachers are doing something wrong! Find a school where ALL people (men and women) are enthusiastic to attend.

ArbeeNYC

Only a very few leads are good. I'm no expert, but I'm competent and enenjoyable to dance with ( feedback from multiple followers)..I ( probably falsely) have assumed all leaders are similar all along. Now that I reflect what followers like in my dancing vs if other leads provide that (namely connection)... I'd say the answer is no.....I could be wrong of course, but looking at other leads - there is little to no emotion connection portrayed. I know for a fact, that that is key in enjoyability for followers ( I've asked them and seen their response in various dances with and without connection..difference is enormous)
What kind of class is this? Is it an intro class? What's the focus of the class? If it's a class, you can't have too many expectations, as a leader or a follower, of the capabilities of the other people in the class. So are going to be good, some bad, some boring, some fun. You just never know unless you work with a dedicated partner. It's the luck of the draw. I've been in classes with a terrible mix of people and classes with a much better mix. At this point, why should the followers focus on the age or excellence of the leaders? They're all there to learn. And as they grow more advanced, they can become more selective about who they practice with.

dchester

Staff member
yes but every time I open the thread, I still have the open reply window. There is no "close" icon in my view for the window. Just Post and Preview. Am I missing something or just blind? (or stoopid... that happens sometimes too)
There are some "quirks" after the new upgrade we are running on.

If it's a class, you can't have too many expectations, as a leader or a follower, of the capabilities of the other people in the class. So are going to be good, some bad, some boring, some fun. You just never know unless you work with a dedicated partner. It's the luck of the draw. I've been in classes with a terrible mix of people and classes with a much better mix. At this point, why should the followers focus on the age or excellence of the leaders?
Round here I assume that most beginner class students will never attend a practica or milonga.
The class "is" the tango for them - to practice without joy in the class itself is no option.
So is it common that you have to register with a dedicated partner and will switch only from time to time.

Dance Ads