What type of dress do you buy for the level of dance that you are competing in?

Vince A

Bronze in C&W is an age division--I think it's 40+ in ACDA, (30+ is Copper) which is who runs the event in Houston you are going to, SPratt. I think they do still require a yoke, and a "country" look to the costume, though UCWDC doesn't--but UC is more restrictive on the stoning at the newcomer level (I think.) You should be able to get plenty of information at the studio about costumes, etc. Your instructor is very experienced and there are several C&W competitors there.
Thanks for the update Suzie . . . I didn't know a thing about the ACDA, although my wife has competed in it . . .

I asked Dave Getty (the one who writes the rules) about the UCWDC's stance on "the yoke." He said "no," that requirement has been dropped . . . BUT . . . there has to be a distinguishable difference between the top and bottom of the shirt/blouse similar to a yoke . . . for example . . . color, material, stones/glitter and the likes, patterns in the material . . . but the definitive "cowboy yoke" is gone. The separation doesn't even have to go straight across, etc. Backless and and bare midfiff is now allowable.

Thanks for the update Suzie . . . I didn't know a thing about the ACDA, although my wife has competed in it . . .

I asked Dave Getty (the one who writes the rules) about the UCWDC's stance on "the yoke." He said "no," that requirement has been dropped . . . BUT . . . there has to be a distinguishable difference between the top and bottom of the shirt/blouse similar to a yoke . . . for example . . . color, material, stones/glitter and the likes, patterns in the material . . . but the definitive "cowboy yoke" is gone. The separation doesn't even have to go straight across, etc. Backless and and bare midfiff is now allowable.
Yeah, SuzieQ has been competing in CW for a long time, and we attend the same studio and have the same instructor lol. (Sorry SuzieQ, I didn't think to ask you right away lol.) But it's still nice sometimes to get more than one opinion, because I did learn a lot about the rules and things like that. And Vince, if your wife goes or if you go, maybe we'll meet at one of these events sometime! Although, I must warn you... I kick butt at Country Western lol! :p

Oh and do you know if you can get a copy of the rule book (other than online)? I don't mind reading it. ;)

You can get a copy of the ACDA rules from their web site. The UC rules are obtainable only by members. I don't have a current copy of them--I know they've made some changes in the past year.

You can get a copy of the ACDA rules from their web site. The UC rules are obtainable only by members. I don't have a current copy of them--I know they've made some changes in the past year.
Hmm... I'll have to figure out a way to get a copy of the rules. I don't know about you, but I like to get hard copies of things, especially once I get going on the road to competing. That way I can look at the book if I have any doubts and no one is by me or something weird like that lol.

Hee. I just realized this is a CW thread.
Oh no that's ok lol! One of the posters said that she might be able to do something with her sisters dresses! Plus anything that way would be cheaper for me, so you had a great idea! ;)

Oh edited to say that I might use something like that later on for showcases etc. So, I take in any idea that you give me! Thanks again! ;)

Vince A

SPratt74328914 said:
... ;I kick butt at Country Western lol! :p
Well, since I'm easy . . . you can do anything that you want with my butt!!!!!

SPratt74328914 said:
Oh and do you know if you can get a copy of the rule book (other than online)? I don't mind reading it. ;)
I haven't seen a printed version in years . . . the website is the only place that I know of . . .

Vince A

Haha! I did not expect this answer from you! My mouth dropped wide open lol! :shock: :p
Sorry . . . you left yourself wide open!!!

Hmmm... I wonder how many pages it is and if I need to buy more ink lol! ;)
The UCWDC rules have quite a few sections . . . it could eat up some paper. But look at the sections you are interested in . . . some of them are for other things - like linedancing, etc. - if you don't need, don't print 'em, yes???

Sorry . . . you left yourself wide open!!!
Haha! Yes I guess I did. I need to be more careful! ;)

The UCWDC rules have quite a few sections . . . it could eat up some paper. But look at the sections you are interested in . . . some of them are for other things - like linedancing, etc. - if you don't need, don't print 'em, yes???
There will be some sections that I don't need, so yeah I'll just print up what I am interested in. Good point! :p

Vince A

Haha! Yes I guess I did. I need to be more careful! ;)
Nah . . . be yourself . . . always . . .

BTW . . . C&W is actually my worst stuff . . . maybe Intermediate level, so . . . if you must . . . kick my butt!

There will be some sections that I don't need, so yeah I'll just print up what I am interested in. Good point! :p
I just bookmarked them, so I can open right up to 'em.

Nah . . . be yourself . . . always . . .

BTW . . . C&W is actually my worst stuff . . . maybe Intermediate level, so . . . if you must . . . kick my butt!
Good advice! Well, I recently learned CW, but I had to in order to compete and win my division. I put that off until the very end, because I didn't like it for some reason. I actually caught onto it though faster than I had thought. I did everything to stay away from it though. But then you have to know so many dances to win your division I thought oh darn it. I'm going to have to learn CW lol. The next dance I'm going to work on is Polka. I can't about imagine what the dresses look like for Polka lol.

It might take sometime to kick your butt since I will be labeled as a Newcomer. Maybe at an event we can have a dance off or something lol. Now that would be fun. ;)

Vince A

Good advice! Well, I recently learned CW, but I had to in order to compete and win my division. I put that off until the very end, because I didn't like it for some reason. I actually caught onto it though faster than I had thought. I did everything to stay away from it though. But then you have to know so many dances to win your division I thought oh darn it. I'm going to have to learn CW lol. The next dance I'm going to work on is Polka. I can't about imagine what the dresses look like for Polka lol.
For a Newcomer, I'd advise one dress . . . wear it for every dance. If you're good and you place . . . you'll probably move up to Novice your next comp. I only did Newcomer once . . . my Pro moved me up after that one comp!

Then you'll buying some outfits. Save your $$$ for those outfits . . .

It might take sometime to kick your butt since I will be labeled as a Newcomer. Maybe at an event we can have a dance off or something lol. Now that would be fun. ;)
. . . the "or something" sounds good . . . suggestions???

For a Newcomer, I'd advise one dress . . . wear it for every dance. If you're good and you place . . . you'll probably move up to Novice your next comp. I only did Newcomer once . . . my Pro moved me up after that one comp!

Then you'll buying some outfits. Save your $$$ for those outfits . . .
That's true. But I have two competition instructors that I go with, so they'll both have to decide as to if I move up or not lol.

. . . the "or something" sounds good . . . suggestions???
Hmmm... since I'm a bit tired right now, I can't think straight lol. But I promise that I'll come up with some good ideas later on today though. ;)

So what did you end up wearing, SPratt74?

I am competing for the first time in August and have the same question about the costuming! I have read the UCWDC rules about costuming but they don't help all that much. All it says is that no elaborate costumes are required for newcomers, you just have to look country. What does that mean? Could I dress up more than that or would I just look ridiculous? :)

Any help would be greatly appreciated!!!

Vince A

Usually just off-the-rack stuff, but if you find something you like . . . wear it! You never know what your judges like to see.

Absolutely - no stones, no glitter, no "Kippie" belts, etc.

Many Newcomers wear black, but if I were judging . . . my eye would 'go' to color(s) . . .

Dance Ads