What type of dress do you buy for the level of dance that you are competing in?

So what did you end up wearing, SPratt74?

I am competing for the first time in August and have the same question about the costuming! I have read the UCWDC rules about costuming but they don't help all that much. All it says is that no elaborate costumes are required for newcomers, you just have to look country. What does that mean? Could I dress up more than that or would I just look ridiculous? :)

Any help would be greatly appreciated!!!
Hi! I'm sorry that it took me awhile to answer this post. I actually stopped CW to compete in Ballroom/Latin, so I don't talk under the CW section any more unless there is something really interesting to read. I have found a company that I really like that makes Ballroom/Latin dresses, and they are making one for me right now actually custom made! I have shown a few members what the dress looks like, and I believe that they were actually surprised with what I could think of that I gave to the company lol! Of course the company took my ideas from there, but it's so worth it. (Hey, I have good taste lol!) Thanks for asking though! And good luck with you and your comp.! I'm sure that you'll do just fine! Let us know how it goes.;)

So what did you end up wearing, SPratt74?

I am competing for the first time in August and have the same question about the costuming! I have read the UCWDC rules about costuming but they don't help all that much. All it says is that no elaborate costumes are required for newcomers, you just have to look country. What does that mean? Could I dress up more than that or would I just look ridiculous? :)

Any help would be greatly appreciated!!!
If you are competing newcomer on the UC circuit, and the rules haven't changed in the last couple of years, they don't like rhinestones and you'll need a yoke on your dress. Those are the two main rules that I used to buy my UC costumes. I wore 2 costumes, a waltz dress and a shorter dress for everything else. Both had yokes. They don't like too much skin showing either, though I'm not sure how strict they are on that... and you'll need boots. Evening Star were my boots of choice. No toe boot, shankless, weltless... etc. The skin colored ones make a nice line...

Good luck!!

Anthea

My instructor said that anything I buy at a Country/Western store would be appropriate. Just something off the rack. I'm going up to Prescott (a historical western town here in Arizona) and I'm hoping to find something nice there!

I'm also looking into buying the Evenin' Star boots, although I'm reluctant to buy them online, I'm afraid I don't have another option... I want them before the competition so I can practice in them! My regular ballroom shoes are really NOT doing it! :D

I just read this whole thread... shoulda read before posting... looks like I duplicated a lot of the info. Anyway, what Vince said is a good idea. I know several competitors who went to Name Brand Clothing and bought very cute dresses that worked perfectly! And they spent very little on them... less the $50 and sometimes more like $10 or $20.

Anthea

My Pro said that anything bought in a Country/Western store would be appropriate. So the hunting begins... :) Is Name Brand Clothing a store? If so, do they have a website? And where did you buy your Evenin' Star boots, DancinAnne?

Thanks for all your help, guys!!!

Anthea

During my trip to Prescott (a historical western town) I believe I found the perfect outfit! At least for the waltz and the 2-step/swing dances. A formal peridot-green skirt with some minor embroidery on the bottom combined with a cute white shirt. My instructor said jeans would be fine for 2-step/WCS so I'll combine that with a pink shirt I found. Now all I'm looking for is a shorter skirt for the chacha and nightclub. And of course a pair of Evenin' Star boots!

Thanks for all your feedback and help, guys!

Vince A

During my trip to Prescott (a historical western town) I believe I found the perfect outfit! At least for the waltz and the 2-step/swing dances. A formal peridot-green skirt with some minor embroidery on the bottom combined with a cute white shirt. My instructor said jeans would be fine for 2-step/WCS so I'll combine that with a pink shirt I found. Now all I'm looking for is a shorter skirt for the chacha and nightclub. And of course a pair of Evenin' Star boots!

Thanks for all your feedback and help, guys!
Make sure that the dress has a dicernable yoke, and the jeans are fine . . . just make sure that they are boot cut - not bell-bottoms, as many do wear in the swing world . . .

Dance Ads