What would you do...?

Larinda McRaven

Site Moderator
Staff member
Well I did put in a phone call. I was given to the "manager" who had no idea of the layout of the venue... even though they are the preferred vendor for all events held there.

After I spoke with her for a few minutes she told me "the manage is not in but I will forward your name and number to him when he gets here tomorrow". So apparently they have lots of managers who are not really managers.

The next day my husband called. He spoke to the "manager" who was surprised to hear of the incident as nothing like that "had ever happened before"... as in he hadn't even heard of my phone call from the previous day.

Appears there is more chaos in that catering department than a simple phone call and complaint will ever put a dent in.

fascination

Site Moderator
Staff member
the fish usually rots from the head....not surprised....which is why I think you may have gotten more success in preventing a future issue by going to the staff directly.....bad management just blows all complaints off...and when they care that little, well, their staff only tend rise to the same level...sigh....unfortunate

twnkltoz

Unacceptable, but I would have let it go and leave it to the family/someone involved in the hiring to complain. Unless you find yourself in a conversation with the store owner and you can fit it in naturally as a "hey, by the way" kind of thing.

Last edited:
That seems like a ton if "managers" for a catering wing of a grocery store in a small town...or maybe I just have no idea how much staff that kind of operation really requires to run.

dancelvr

I'd have been torn over the situation. My heart would tell me to jump in and try to help improve the situation. (I'm a "helper" kind of person.) My head would say.....nobody asked me to help. I'm a guest here. *sigh* It would have been frustrating, to say the least.

Larinda McRaven

Site Moderator
Staff member
I'd have been torn over the situation. My heart would tell me to jump in and try to help improve the situation. (I'm a "helper" kind of person.) My head would say.....nobody asked me to help. I'm a guest here. *sigh* It would have been frustrating, to say the least.
Except lol I am not looking at is as a helper . I was seriously just lodging a legit complaint that their service sucked. And it is very telling that they didn't take the complaint seriously.

fascination

Site Moderator
Staff member
I still think this is a simply case of people being insensitive and it best handled directly but gently....I see this all of the time at yoga...the website and the sign on the door both explicitly state that one needs to keep things quiet in the yoga room...and consistently, either because they are too dense to read the rules or, don't care, or are overestimating how quietly they are speaking, there are always at least two stupid girls who came because they thought it would be fun and they'd lose weight, who sit in the back and ruin the silence...I also see it at spas al of the time....personally, I use it as part of my practice to let the annoyance go....but mostly I would like to clobber them ...I have heard people who ask them to be quiet and I think that is fair

danceronice

Personally, I would have stayed out of it unless I were the person hosting the event. Since I'm not the customer or the contractor and have no fiduciary interest in the situation, it's really none of my affair.

fascination

Site Moderator
Staff member
I would have stayed out of it as well.... that being said, I wouldn't find it inappropriate to intervene....I mean, if I am at a once in a lifetime event and I cannot hear the ceremony and there is a completely available solution, like asking them to please be quiet, I think that is fair...and I think it is also fair to send a note to the vendor saying that your experience was hampered due to the staff being oblivious to their surroundings....as a matter of respect for those using their services in the future....and I can see being hesitant to bring it up to the people who were having the event in terms of not wanting them to know that the experience was sullied for me ....it's a crap shoot

Bailamosdance

I still think this is a simply case of people being insensitive and it best handled directly but gently....I see this all of the time at yoga...the website and the sign on the door both explicitly state that one needs to keep things quiet in the yoga room...and consistently, either because they are too dense to read the rules or, don't care, or are overestimating how quietly they are speaking, there are always at least two stupid girls who came because they thought it would be fun and they'd lose weight, who sit in the back and ruin the silence...I also see it at spas al of the time....personally, I use it as part of my practice to let the annoyance go....but mostly I would like to clobber them ...I have heard people who ask them to be quiet and I think that is fair

Entitlement when a customer compared to lack of consideration when being the service provider is different.

fascination

Site Moderator
Staff member
not sure I agree...in both cases, one owes a duty to be considerate to others....certainly the service providers had a greater obligation not to be a distraction

snapdancer

Preferred vendor, huh? Do they feel much incentive to keep that status? Let the venue management know how much you liked your experience there.

Dance Ads