What would you say to yourself as a beginner?

fascination

Site Moderator
Staff member
you may fall in love with dance, you may think that you are likewise in love with your teacher....be warned, ignore it.....it is common and not real....

you are the consumer....don't pay for things that you don't want

be informed, don't hand over your power to the teacher just because they are the expert in dance....you are the expert on you and your wallet...

set a budget...don't violate that

pick a pro who can teach you how to dance alone and has answers to your questions...if you can't do it alone, you haven't really learned it...you are just enjoying someone else's skill

don't pick a pro who constantly wants to assess the kind of person they think you are...sure sign that they don't have anything left to teach you...

don't dance somewhere where you can't pay for one lesson at a time

don't assume responsibility for your teacher's financial well-being

don't pick a teacher who is effusively praising you but don't pick one who treats you like a burden and doesn't praise you when they should

don't think that either will change if you just have one more talk about it

don't mistake friendliness for friendship and don't think you that you can buy the latter....just because you can usually buy the former...

learn posture, technique, balance, courage, artistry and power....steps are over-rated

be patient with your progress and yet impatient enough to ensure it

understand that competition results can be a reflection of many things...be good enough and smart enough to know what that means and find objective people to help you navigate it......

don't retain a pro who doesn't return calls promptly (within a week) or answer emails or one who calls off frequently...it is an indicator of their lack of committment to your dancing and reflects a low degree of personal responsibility

just for starters

leee

I was thinking of simply: "Crap I've Learned the Hard Way".....but yours would probably be more marketable ....but I am mulling it over...with chapters on grief, romantic relationships, theology, dance, parenting, sex, friendship....
Actually your title has that punchy, pungent, no-BS title that has the same sort of appeal as the Dummies books.

stash

I was thinking of simply: "Crap I've Learned the Hard Way".....but yours would probably be more marketable ....but I am mulling it over...with chapters on grief, romantic relationships, theology, dance, parenting, sex, friendship....
Let us know when it's on pre-order ;)

Wannabee

It will be physically, emotionally, and financially draining. Be ready for a relentless pursuit of perfection that will never come because it can take a toll on the unsuspecting. Best to prepare the psyche ahead of time. There will be laughter, tears, the accomplishment of things never drempt possible, and heartbreaking realizations of things that will never be, but it will definitely bring a better understanding of what it means to truly enjoy being alive.

That is what I would tell my beginner self. Still applies today.

Dance Ads