Whats the best dance??

My fiance and I go watch his friends country band, they play up beat country that is almost like rock music mostly fast hardly ever a slow song. We want a dance that we can use when we go see them, not like a two step that you go around in a circle around the dance floor. What would you recommend also I have researched dance lessons and I have only found them in the larger cities about an hour a way so we'd like to learn off video. Thanks for your help in advance

Vince A

1. For fast songs - the "Aggie Swing" - an arm jerking-for-the-female country semi-version of the "East Coast Swing" (ECS)
-or just learn the ECS . . .

2. For slower tempo, semi-fast, try the West Coast Swing (WCS)

3. And if they ever play a slow song that's slow enough, try the Night Club Two Step (NC2S)

Steve Pastor

Staff member
quick quick slow, slow,
If not two step, East Coast Swing.
Good luck with what Vince is calling "Aggie Swing" - an arm jerking-for-the-female. He's not kidding about the arm jerking thing. Here we call it cowboy swing or western swing. The big advantage of this one is that I don't think I've ever seen anyone do it in time to the music. Just do it as fast as you can!
When stuff gets too fast for most people to keep up with the beat, I will tell the women that we are doing "one step". But I'm thinking you won't find anyone that teaches it.
If you don't want to two step, you probably don't want to learn to polka either. Otherwise I'd say check out polka.
East Coast Swing has many, many moves you can learn. For faster songs(which you write they do a lot), if you don't want to two step, I'd have to say go with East Coast Swing (with the slow slow, not the triple step triple step variety.

1. For fast songs - the "Aggie Swing" - an arm jerking-for-the-female country semi-version of the "East Coast Swing" (ECS)
-or just learn the ECS . . .
Aggie swing? So that's what they call it. I've always called it "goat roping." Whatever you call it, all I know is that I avoid it like the plague. No time for gratuitous injuries here.

Vince A

Aggie swing? So that's what they call it. I've always called it "goat roping." Whatever you call it, all I know is that I avoid it like the plague. No time for gratuitous injuries here.
I've heard it called all the above . . . aggie swing, cowboy swing, goat-ropin', etc.

Agree with SP . . . good luck trying to find someone who teaches it, but ya' know . . . I learned to do the "pretzel" while breaking some young thang's arms doing the "whatever-it's-called" swing . . .

And c'mon, Slowdancer, let NCSchic have dis-jointed shoulder sockets like the rest of the C&W dancin' women . . . be fair!!!

Dallas Shuffle.... kind of like the swing, but instead of the "rock step" after the "triple steps," you do a "walk, walk." It's "triple step, triple step, walk, walk." Moves very quickly around the floor. The video is taught by a guy named Wiley something or other. Found it on Ebay, the dance is really cool.

I have lots of friends in the Dallas/Ft. Worth dance community and I've always heard it called the Ft. Worth Shuffle! Is the Dallas Shuffle a variation of the Ft. Worth Shuffle or an entirely separate dance?

Yes---push is still done in the Dallas area, whip in the Houston area...but whip/push/WCS seem to have all melded together, at least that's my impression.

Don't know about the FW shuffle. Wiley Hicks is the guy with the video, and he calls it the Dallas Shuffle. My wife and I learned it and have danced it a time or two here in waco. Moves in line-of-dance very quickly around the floor. Fun to do, and a nice workout to boot.

I found this on the newsgroup, rec.arts.dance. Maybe it will help.​
"Houston Shuffle is another name for Triple Two-step or Progressive Double Two-step.

FWS is a regional C&W dance that origionated about ten years ago in Fort Worth, Texas. It started, according to one account I have heard, when a lady showed a drunk man the ladies footwork from Dallas Progressive Double Two Step (a variation of Triple Two Step). When the man sobered up, he did the ladies footwork from PD2 - not realising what had happened, and a new dance was born.​

The count of the dance is 123,4&5,6&. The dance is progressive and generally orbits in a continious left hand turn. Many of the spins and wraps were taken from WCS. The basic position is closed, and the man begins with his right foot on a 'down' beat. From the count, the first 'triple step' begins on an 'up' beat. This makes the dance different from ECS, ploka, and T2S which begin the 'triple steps' on the 'down' beat. The dance is growing slowly in popularity, and is currently offered for UCWDC competiton as a regional dance. The 1995 UCWDC rules contain a dance description for Southwest Shuffle (aka. Ft. Worth Shuffle).​

I posted a very detailed description of the footwork several months ago. But here is the gist of it again: The footwork is three sliding steps forward (123). A step directly to the side (4), slide the other foot to close (&). Step forward on foot that took 4 (5). A step to the other side (6), and slide the feet closed (&). You should now be ready to step forward on 1 again. The man begins with his left foot, and alternates on every step (left, right, left, right, etc). On the side steps there is ideally no forward progression. The ladies footwork mirrors the mans. You don't pick your feet up. This gives the dance a very smooth appearance on the floor, dancers who are good at it look like they are ice skating."​

The best dance .........

Hello
This is the best combination for dance
1. For fast songs - the "Aggie Swing" - an arm jerking-for-the-female country semi-version of the "East Coast Swing" (ECS)-or just learn the ECS.
2. For slower tempo, semi-fast, try the West Coast Swing (WCS).
3. They ever play a slow song that is slow enough; try the Night Club Two Step (NC2S)

If it is possible to learn all these at a single time.

Dance Ads