What's the Skinny on iPods?

mamboqueen

omg...she drives and watches tv, too. for the love of pete!!!

:)

it's not going to cost me anything (credit card points), so that's not the issue. size, however, does matter (that should bring Joe out of hiding ;)).

samina

A question for the more technologically intelligent people here...

I've got an iPod which I love (which is 5 years old and still going strong, I might add), and so have iTunes and everything set up on my computer. DH and I are looking to get a new computer, though. What do I have to do to transfer things over to the new computer so I can still use my iPod?
back up your ipod music folder and copy to your new PC... you can import those into your library

Also have Ipod Touch. Actually, it my wife's. She recently took a trip to California and I downloaded a couple movies and some TV shows for her to watch on airplane. Also some e-books, pics, and music. She also used wireless connection to surf internet at various locations. Haven't stored any dance vids yet but probably will do so soon. You can see an example of using with dance vids here:

w w w.dancedispatch.com (remove spaces)

There is new iPod Touch (also iPhone) software (2.0) just released that allows installing 3rd party apps. You purchase apps at Apple App Store (part of iTunes). I bought a game (Cro-Mag Rally) and it's really cool. It's been reported at cnet.com that Ipod Touch cost should be coming down later this year.

Peaches

The only complaint I heard about the iPod Touch was from a woman at the gym. She was trying to change various tracks throughout a spinning class and was having issues. I guess the coordination--amount of force in the touch, fine motor control, whatever--was difficult while cycling.

Ampster

A question for the more technologically intelligent people here...

I've got an iPod which I love (which is 5 years old and still going strong, I might add), and so have iTunes and everything set up on my computer. DH and I are looking to get a new computer, though. What do I have to do to transfer things over to the new computer so I can still use my iPod?
With iTunes open, go to File, and "Backup to Disk" this burns your whole collection, music, movies, artwork, files, etc. onto Disks. I recommend using DVD-R disks as this is A LOT of data. iTunes will burn multiple disks for you.

When you get your new computer, load a new version of iTunes, then do an import. You simply start feeding the new 'puter the backup disks... And there you go.

I've done this to several of my computers. Works great.

cornutt

With iTunes open, go to File, and "Backup to Disk" this burns your whole collection, music, movies, artwork, files, etc. onto Disks. I recommend using DVD-R disks as this is A LOT of data. iTunes will burn multiple disks for you.

It might be easier to connect the two computers with Firewire and boot the old computer up in target disk mode (IIRC you hold down command-T while it's booting). It will then mount as a disk drive on the new computer, and you can just copy from one to the other.

Target Disk Mode is a procedure in which one Macintosh computer can be configured to appear (via Firewire connection) as a hard drive to another. Probably not applicable to PC. A DVD-R disk can hold up to 4GB of data, unless it is dual layer, which can hold 8GB. If doing backup of data from one computer to another, might be simpler to just get 4GB or larger memory stick, copy data to that, then load on new computer.

It might be easier to connect the two computers with Firewire and boot the old computer up in target disk mode (IIRC you hold down command-T while it's booting). It will then mount as a disk drive on the new computer, and you can just copy from one to the other.

DWise1

OK, what's going on with iTunes and the iPod?

The other day while watching the Big Band Channel, Benny Goodman's "Life Goes to a Party" and I used my camera to record it. I then added that .WAV file to iTunes and it got synced into my iPod. iTunes plays it just fine, but as soon as I select it on my iPod it jumps to the next song.

And trying to repeat the process with Import appears to do nothing at all.

WTFO?

PS
Problem solved. Why did those Apple turkeys hide from us that simple fact that we would need to convert any sound files we'd "drop and pray" into iTunes?

Dance Ads