Wheelchair Dancesport

j_alexandra

Have you taken a look at any WCD other than dancesport? There are many on YT. Great viewing, great heart.

I used to be kind of "ew" about WCD. Had my mind blown, and changed, by several WCD showdances at the St. Louis Star Ball. One in particular, JoAnne Fluke, was amazing. Couldn't find it on YT, but there are others.

One of my dance buddies did a WCD showdance at Empire, just a couple of weeks ago. PM me if you'd like to see the link.

3wishes

Yes, these are not only great videos, but having attended the Wheelchair Dancesport championships, several times in Europe, it only brings to mind and question - why is the USA is so far behind. Yes, there are givens - as to space, movement, logistics, yada yada of wheelchair dancesport in a "regular" able-bodied competition, but really? Europe has been doing this for years and years. THANK goodness for the American DanceWheels Foundation in PA for training dance instructors to teach this method, making every attempt to reach out to wheelchair dancers. Wouldn't it be great, if the USA hosted an "all wheelchair event?" possibly I don't know of one - but really....there are lots of military wounded and others who still want to dance and/or compete. Ok, sorry, enough venting, did not mean to steal this video thread.

3wishes

oh YEA!!!! American Dancewheels had announced this when they were in Palo Alto California during January 2012 teaching "stand up" partners for and with wounder warriors and others in wheelchair dancing. One of the "wheelchair" dancers in the film is actually an instructor ....if I remember correctly, according to clips on American Dancewheels (which also has a website as well). Exciting to see this!

Dance Ads