Wheelchair Dancing

5678dance

I did a quick search but didn't see anything directly related to this topic....

I work in a rehab hospital in Boston, and we are starting a wheelchair ballroom dancing program, and I am SO EXCITED!! :D

Although Boston is a grrrreat hub for ballroom dancing, there doesn't seem to be much going on up here regarding wheelchair ballroom dancing. In fact, the people starting up the group at my hospital had to travel all the way down to Philly to get trained. That was the closest studio they could find that has wheelchair ballroom dance instruction!!

Just wondering-- what's out there? Where are some hubs across the nation for wheelchair ballroom dancing? Anyone wanna help get some studios up and running in Boston??

I currently know close to nothing about this topic, but I am excited to learn!

:)

3wishes

American DanceWheels in Philly reaches out to several colleges and rehab oganizations across the nation as well as scholarships for those who are interested in teaching Wheelchair Dancing. Also Delaware University has a strong focus on Wheelchair dancing via American DanceWheels.
I'm pretty sure that if you contacted any they would be able to provide referrals as well as locals either in Boston or in a relatively short distance from Boston.
You can also contact your local military rehab facility to seek more responses or a teaching university medical center that has a rehab facility attached to it - they may have referral lists in response to the very question you've posted.

5678dance

DanceWheels is where the people organizing our group trained (I believe) :)
And excellent idea, to reach out to other rehab facilities!

Loki

I wish you and your program the best of luck. We're all just one injury away from potentially being in a wheelchair / needing a cane / etc. Quite humbling I'm sure for those who are passionate about dance.

5678dance

I wish you and your program the best of luck. We're all just one injury away from potentially being in a wheelchair / needing a cane / etc. Quite humbling I'm sure for those who are passionate about dance.

Thank you so much!
Working in rehab makes me want to live in a bubble haha but it is incredibly gratifying and inspirational to see people who have gone through so much still find happiness and fulfillment :)

Dance Ads