Where are the men to tango with at my beautiful 64 years of age? :)

Hahaha, if you believe it is possible to make your grown up kids do anything they don't want to do for you, you are in for a big surprise. :)
Likely true for Americans, but if tango lyrics are to be believed, Argentine men have a special relationship with their mothers.

Yo tengo una novia,
no hay otra más buena,
más noble y más pura.
¡Jamás va a engañarme!
Por ella gustoso,
daría mi vida
porque ella no miente,
porque ella es mi madre!

ETA: I sincerely don't mean to imply anything about Federico!

IMO, either you didn't watch the entire video, you don't know much about tango, or you are trolling.
I've watched too many live performances.

Gorge Torres' dancing with Graciela Gonzales was extremely boring. He tried to add some adornments. His front and back sacadas were very shallow.

Why doesn't he dance with Graciela? Why did he choose Maria?
I can't understand it.

If you ever get the chance, you should ask either Maria or Jorge about Graciela. I'm sure they will be able to explain it to you.
I guess, Graciela is not his type. His wife is the same type as Maria.
I would definitely put his wife and Maria in my wish list much higher than Graciela if we were at the same milonga.

And here is a small story. Somebody ignored "No".

"it all happened four years ago in New York, at the well-known All Night Milonga, at Stepping Out.
Chino had just started to dance tango and was quietly sitting at her table, when suddenly she felt someone grab her hand and there she was, literally transported to the dance floor.

“He was so rude!!” she exclaims, still steaming. To no avail she pleaded to be let go, to be allowed to go back to her seat.

Who was this guy, anyway? And why was he so persistent?

As soon as he entered the crowded room, Jorge’s eyes were only on Chino. He took it all in: her mesmerizing profile, her jet-black hair, her shy smile. Smitten, he vowed to conquer her. “By the third song in the tanda, she stopped being angry and she surrendered...”

Jorge nods, proud of his victorious determination. He went, he saw, he conquered, to paraphrase Cesar, the Roman Emperor. After the dance, he took her back to her table (polite, old-school manners of course) and everyone descended on Chino, like buzzing bees.

“Do you know who he is??? Do you realize who invited you to dance? Can you believe that you were chosen by him?”
And no, she had no idea and wasn’t particularly impressed by the good looking, silver haired man who had just steered her through four skillful tangos."

Last edited:

Zoopsia59

You'll notice that he danced the simplest steps in the survival mode in your video.
He can certainly repeat it with any overweight girl who wants to pay $100/hour.

Facepalm.

Dancing with Graciela Gonzalez = dancing in survival mode with an overweight girl paying him for the chance.

Wow.

Next time you take a lesson with Jorge, ask him if that is what HE thinks of dancing with such a famous and respected tanguera

Also, maybe learn the difference between a demo of social tango and one of Tango Fantasia

Or.. maybe you are just trolling.

Zoopsia59

I've watched too many live performances.

Gorge Torres' dancing with Graciela Gonzales was extremely boring. He tried to add some adornments. His front and back sacadas were very shallow.

Why doesn't he dance with Graciela? Why did he choose Maria?
Because he is a stage performer. When people watch a stage show, especially non-tango people going to a Broadway production, they do not want to see social dancing; they want to see Tango Fantasia.

When he TEACHES, however, he emphasizes the fundamentals of social connection and movement.

When he performed during our milonga (which he also DJ'ed after days of giving privates and workshops.. the man has stamina!) he and Chino did classic salon style social tango that would have been appropriate for a crowded floor, and not because Chino is incapable of doing more.

(and by the way, it's Jorge' with a J)

When he performed during our milonga he and Chino did classic salon style social tango that would have been appropriate for a crowded floor, and not because Chino is incapable of doing more.
Keep dreaming! He didn't dance for you, he danced for her.
He used the mode "give HER pleasure", cutting all fancy steps, using only the steps that she likes, choosing one of the songs that she adores. You can't notice it from outside, but some steps can be performed in a very intimate and close way.

Didn't he choose Maria because she is a skillful, athletic, fit, beautiful dancer and he looks 10 times better with her?

Zoopsia59

Keep dreaming! He didn't dance for you, he danced for her.
He used the mode "give HER pleasure", cutting all fancy steps, using only the steps that she likes, choosing one of the songs that she adores. You can't notice it from outside, but some steps can be performed in a very intimate and close way.

Didn't he choose Maria because she is a skillful, athletic, fit, beautiful dancer and he looks 10 times better with her?
Where did I say or imply that he danced for me?

Thanks for letting me know that some steps can be performed in an intimate and close way... I never knew that before (eyeroll... OUCH, I think they got too far back in my skull!)

I do believe you just proved my point about social dancing demos vs stage dancing demos.

And how do you know anything about how he chose the music, or whether Chino likes it, or what steps she adores, or what steps they did, for a demo that YOU DIDN'T SEE?

Actually, he made it clear to all present that he was deliberately showing pure social dancing with no stage tricks because that was what he'd been teaching everyone and they wanted to demonstrate how lovely it could be without flashy moves. Maybe Chino influenced that decision. I didn't interrogate either of them about it.

And no, he doesn't look 10 times better with Maria than with Chino, unless you think that dancers automatically look "better" by doing flashier stage moves. (whatever "better" is supposed to mean...)

You can find many videos if you search.

I didn't compare Chino and Maria. I compared those two professional dancers Maria and Graciela, the second one was recommended above as an example of wonderful dancing.

I imagine he used very simple and intimate steps when he first invited Chino to dance, as she had been dancing for a month then.

Zoopsia59

You can find many videos if you search.

I didn't compare Chino and Maria. I compared those two professional dancers Maria and Graciela, the second one was recommended above as an example of wonderful dancing.

I imagine he used very simple and intimate steps when he first invited Chino to dance, as she had been dancing for a month then.
You quoted part of my post about his demo with Chino at our milonga. Then used the pronoun "her" several times, implying that you were referring to the woman named in my post (Chino)

The steps he may have used when he first asked Chino to dance are irrelevant to my post about the demo he did with her at our milonga many years later.

Your entire argument seems to be based on a view that "simple" steps are a dumbing down or "survival" mode of leading tango compared to stage performance. I'm absolutely sure Jorge would disagree with you. In fact every tango pro I have ever met would disagree.

Half of the steps Jorge used in his performance with Maria can be used in social dancing.

Of course, a typical social dancing consists of ocho, ocho, rebound, turn, ocho cortado - repeat.

Fortunately, many younger dancers want much more, and spaces often allow to do very elaborate steps.

dchester

Staff member
Almost 100% of what Fabian and Josefina use in this video can be used in social dancing.

Can you compare this performance to the one with Graziela?

Sure. One was an improvised dance done by a couple who don't regularly dance together, while the other was done by a couple who dance together all the time with lots of choreographed sequences.

Was that supposed to be difficult?

Dance Ads