Where to buy dance dress material –if I want make one??

HI, I am pretty new for ballroom dance and don’t have any dance dress yet. The dance dress is too expensive to me even a used one (more than $1000). I ordered dance dress pattern and want to make one for myself. Would anyone give me some advice for where to buy the fabric and related things?

Thanks in advance!
Jenny

3wishes

Welcome JennyJi to DF. There are several threads about making costumes and fabric choice. Use the search option - I'm positive you will see lots of ideas. Basic fabrics for most costumes powernet(stretch mesh), 2 or 4 way stretch Lycra (think swimming suit fabric if you have no idea what that is), chiffon, organza, stretch satin, fringe, rhinestones, decorations, etc etc. Fabric districts in major cities are great shopping areas. Laura has a blog you can read about her experiences making a costume and great hints and tips. Have fun!!

I have some links to sources for fabrics, stones etc. on my website. It's on the dance wear page at the bottom. (www.blueridgeballroom.com) You can Google Mary Jo's and Denver Fabric's. Denver's has been hit or miss lately but sometimes has very good deals. I have been happy with the mesh illusion I get at Mary Jo's. Order samples before purchasing. If you have a friend with a serger be a very good friend to her. It makes life easier. There is a good bit of info on Forums as well.

Last year Chrisanne UK had an "end of the roll" sale on their fabrics somewhere around the end of the year. If you're flexible on colour then you may be able to get a good deal if they have the same sale.

NURDRMS

For high quality lycra in about every color imaginable, try fabricdepotco dot com. They sell stretch velvet, glistenette, and satin as well.

For high quality lycra in about every color imaginable, try fabricdepotco dot com. They sell stretch velvet, glistenette, and satin as well.
I looked at fabric depot prices, and they're kinda pricey. The dance lycra I bought at Joan's was $15 per yard. If that's what they call "heavy weight lycra", then their price is $20 per yard. If that's their matte lycra, then it's $12 per yard, but I doubt it, Joan's dance lycra wasn't what I would call matte, it's a bit glossy actually.

j_alexandra

stretch world
spandex house
stretch house
spandex world

they all have websites, and a variety of prices; I've scored 60" wide printed lycra for $3 a yard

stretch world
spandex house
stretch house
spandex world

they all have websites, and a variety of prices; I've scored 60" wide printed lycra for $3 a yard
Thank you, thank you, thank you! I am already plotting my next dress...and am having difficulty finding dancewear fabric in the exact colors I am interested in. These links are awesome and the prices are reasonable too. I like that they also offer samples. Just what I was looking for. :D

This is all great information. I'm just getting in to making my own dresses, so this links are super helpful.

Going along with that does anyone know of a specific place to get the fabric for men's dance pants? A friend wants a pair copied, and I've wandered around to all my usual places without much luck finding something similar. I know it's some sort of poly with stretch. It doesn't seem as stretchy as the spandex house kind of thing, and all the other stores have tried to sell me on tropical wool. I'm in NYC, so if anyone knows of anything local to there (there must be something, right?) that would be excellent.

This is all great information. I'm just getting in to making my own dresses, so this links are super helpful.

Going along with that does anyone know of a specific place to get the fabric for men's dance pants? A friend wants a pair copied, and I've wandered around to all my usual places without much luck finding something similar. I know it's some sort of poly with stretch. It doesn't seem as stretchy as the spandex house kind of thing, and all the other stores have tried to sell me on tropical wool. I'm in NYC, so if anyone knows of anything local to there (there must be something, right?) that would be excellent.
If you are in NY, I would look to the fabric district... you should be able to find ANYTHING you could need there. I'm in MA, and I know that Osgood's textiles (osgoodtextile DOT com) would have the type of poly-blend stretch you are looking for... maybe try calling around, and see if someone can point you in the right direction

Standarddancer

Fashion district in NY (7th & 8th ave bet 37th to 40th street) or Chrisanne site, if you like beautiful floating fabric for floats, chrisanne stretch satin the best

Thanks guys. I've been all over the fashion district. I design professionally (just not guys stuff), so I'm up there all the time. I was just hoping that maybe someone had bought some at a specific place so I could save more legwork.

The previous resources are good ones. There is also dancesport-international dot net that has some great gowns and dresses at great prices. At the time of this writing, the site has changed, but email requests. She's great to work with.

Dance Ads